Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,500 times

Advertisements

I look good the "cheap" way: sales, sales, sales - and thrift shop clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
eBay works better for me than thrift shops although I do find some things there. I buy beautiful clothing on eBay - most of it looks brand new, some of it is new. Banana Republic: I've bought 3 blazers/jackets - all wool all either new or look new - none over $30 including shipping - most are $200 jackets. Ann Taylor: Wool skirts - $10 to $20 for good as new all wool lined skirts that sold for $70 to $100 new. Talbots: Wrinkle free blouses that sell of $79 new - I am paying about $20 for new or new look blouses, $15 to $20 for wool cardigans, $25 for $120 lightweight down vests, $50 for new $130 shoes.

I know my measurements and that is what I go by and I rarely buy anything online that doesn't fit when I try it on. My wardrobe looks like I spent a fortune on clothing but I usually do not. I do also shop the sales at my favorite stores - use my store membership cards and charges (which I pay off each month without fail) - this will automatically reduce all purchases by 5% plus at Talbots, I get $25 certificates several times a year - I save them for sales - 25 to 35% off sales plus my certificates and I have gotten some real bargains....especially at end of season sales where things are marked down 50 to 70%.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
My strategies include visiting retail stores, buying online and visiting Goodwill. I got started going to Goodwill when I decided I wanted to find some wool sweaters. I have had decent luck with that, but I have to visit frequently and be often satisfied coming home with nothing. Occasionally I find some other really great thing. I have found fleece that way, for knocking around.

I tend to stick with online merchants I trust, and that limits my selection.

It is an ordeal to visit Chico's here, and since I often don't find things there I want, I don't go. The hardest thing for me is that I have such a limited selection, and that I am hard to fit.

On the bright side. I've bought the nicest pair of Wolkies from Zappos, and I am looking forward to wearing them, as soon as the rain lets up.
Wolky Bia Black Montebello Brushed - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways Wolky Bia

And I am looking forward to wearing some of my wool sweaters in the coming weeks.

And I am searching for a new raincoat.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 13,970 times
Those women dress okay but they don't have feminine bodies. Very sick and twiggly looking.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
What about the daisy dukes, thongs, micro-minis, boob tubes?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Again, back to the first post - I do not consider those women "old ladies." Some have had work done
and some you may call mature but not old. What the ***l? What's the magic number to be
officially be called an old lady....get a grip people.
It's bad enough that men have absurd standards about women, beauty and youth but geez
women are equally as bad. Love that some post how great they look too

I'd say that this link would qualify for someone who may look old but that doesn't mean
squat. I've met young girls who act like their 100.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002...75_xlarge.jpeg

Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Again, back to the first post - I do not consider those women "old ladies." Some have had work done
and some you may call mature but not old. What the ***l? What's the magic number to be
officially be called an old lady....get a grip people.
It's bad enough that men have absurd standards about women, beauty and youth but geez
women are equally as bad. Love that some post how great they look too

I'd say that this link would qualify for someone who may look old but that doesn't mean
squat. I've met young girls who act like their 100.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002...75_xlarge.jpeg
fishing for compliments is quite unattractive.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Chicos and many brands at Dillards and Nordstrom (ON SALE!) work for me, as well as thrift shop finds. Also, I am lucky to have a very average and common shoe size and a foot that's "easy to fit" so I can always, always find great shoes...the cornerstone of any outfit! Just hit up a sale at Dillards on awesome shoes, and got three pair for $40 - new price would have been about $350 for the three. 65 percent off and then another 50 percent off at the register. WOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Chicos and many brands at Dillards and Nordstrom (ON SALE!) work for me, as well as thrift shop finds. Also, I am lucky to have a very average and common shoe size and a foot that's "easy to fit" so I can always, always find great shoes...the cornerstone of any outfit! Just hit up a sale at Dillards on awesome shoes, and got three pair for $40 - new price would have been about $350 for the three. 65 percent off and then another 50 percent off at the register. WOOHOOOOO!!!!!
I have loved Dillards for years, though not for shoes. I miss that store. I am learning to like Macy's.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have hard-to-fit feet, so regardless of my age, shoe choices are limited. It would be nice if you could acknowledge what other posters are saying about different body types being hard to fit, and nice clothes being expensive and out of reach, even on sale, for a lot of people. Instead you continue to "toot your own horn" about how attractive you and your family members are, and how nice you dress. I think this whole thread was an excuse for you to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty