Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

I had a couple items on my shopping list. Now I am done for a while.

A work bag:

Colorful heels:

Dress:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
You must work someplace fancy.

I'm waiting for one of those brown leather Michael Kors bags to show up at TJ Maxx at a steep discount. So far, they just have the hobo bags and totes in colors I don't want.

I got a black Vera Wang shopper at Kohl's this week for $21 (reg. $109). They're having a heck of a sale there - 80% off some of the stuff.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
You must work someplace fancy.
I work for a consulting company. I found out upgrading my accessories made a big difference in how I am perceived! I also have found cole haan shoes to be super comfy. I try and stop into the outlet or wait for them to get on clearance. They usually fall to about $100-150. Among my longest lasting shoes. Coach shoes are great too. Sadly, my local department stores only seem to get the logo tennis shoes and not the pumps/classic shoes. So it is harder to find deals on them.

Now, I have a couple of black bags I have outgrown (several years old...), I think I going to see what I can get at the consignment store.

Quote:
I'm waiting for one of those brown leather Michael Kors bags to show up at TJ Maxx at a steep discount. So far, they just have the hobo bags and totes in colors I don't want.

I got a black Vera Wang shopper at Kohl's this week for $21 (reg. $109). They're having a heck of a sale there - 80% off some of the stuff.
Do you have a Nordstrom Rack? I see MK bags at mine all the time. The MK outlet isn't so bargain..... Also, they have some "special" TJ Maxx's with "The Runway." and they have more designer stuff.

Also, maybe, just maybe, check your consignment stores in the posher part of town. One of mine in a reasonably high rent area always has Michael Kors and Coach floating around. One day I got a Botkier bag, and it still had most of the plastic on it!

I have uncovered, that in my area, the neutrals rarely make it to TJ Maxx, at least the close ones. And they are always missing accessories. Like I got a Joan bag, but it didn't have the lock.

The bag I got, I am very happy with. It looks way more expensive that it was! Score! And it fits my macbook.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
jade - I agree about the difference in how you're perceived. Being poor most of my life, I've never been shallow at all, but it seems like most everyone else is. I wish I could go every place in my comfy sweatpants and still be treated well, but that isn't what happens in reality. People treat me better when I'm dressed nice. And carrying an expensive purse makes store clerks fall all over me to be helpful. It's sad, really, but that's the way it is.

I never really worried much about being fashionable until I turned 50. Then it just seemed like I ought to look a little classier by this time in my life and not wear the same things I wore 20 years ago. I'm not that young (or poor) anymore. So I scoured the online fashion blogs, saved pictures of all the outfits I thought looked classy and I search for those clothes. I get a lot of them at thrift stores! I may not be as poor, but I'm still frugal. If only those store clerks knew...

There's no Nordstroms near here, but the Tanger outlet mall is 10 miles from me and Marshall's and TJ Maxx not much farther. I don't know if our TJ Maxx is a Runway store, but I find a lot of Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren and DKNY stuff there. We have a few thrift stores nearby too and they get some good designer brands in them (semi-posh area). Haven't found any good purses in them though. But some day that MK leather may show up at TJ Maxx and then I'll buy it. It really does have a better quality look to it! Unlike the Kate Spade satin clutch I was fondling at TJ Maxx and thinking "I could make this for about $20!!"

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Haven't found any good purses in them though. But some day that MK leather may show up at TJ Maxx and then I'll buy it. It really does have a better quality look to it! Unlike the Kate Spade satin clutch I was fondling at TJ Maxx and thinking "I could make this for about $20!!"
Hehehe! I do have a regular Kate Spade bag, and it is nice. But hey my lifestyle doesn't really have a lot of occasions for a satin clutch.....I get those at Target. :P

I have noticed the nicer purses last longer! And that is totally worth it for me. In fact, that MK bag was literally the last item on my handbag wardrobe list (structured black bag for work and weekend too)! Yay!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
You can't really see in the picture, but there are cut outs on the sides of the dress.

I've never lived in a town with an H&M or Zara and, man, those places can mess with your size perceptions! It's a real mindfook to have to go up one or two sizes just to squeeze into their clothes.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Ordered a bunch of shoes, but we'll see if any fit.

I find Net-a-Porter's fit guide to be a bit inaccurate when it comes to shoes.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ordered a bunch of shoes, but we'll see if any fit.

I find Net-a-Porter's fit guide to be a bit inaccurate when it comes to shoes.

Oooh, those black ones on the far right are fantastic!

I've had my eye on these and may splurge come next paycheck

Amazon.com: Miz Mooz Women's Siri Knee-High Boot: Shoes

Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I just bought Not Your Daughter's Jeans online (order a size down), and if you are at all plump they are very comfortable and flattering.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just bought Not Your Daughter's Jeans online (order a size down), and if you are at all plump they are very comfortable and flattering.
Depends on your shape/proportions. They fit like crap on me. Too much gapping. It is too bad the Baby Phat and Apple Bottom contaminate their jeans with crazy embellishments. They fit great on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty