Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Why not do it for a good cause, like World's Greatest Shave?

Not a woman but i signed up for WGS but didn't get any donations do didn't feel 'entitled' to do it. I still haven't, but plan to do it then grow my hair really long.

Some women act as if shaving their hair is like cutting off their arm or something! For cripes sake, it's just hair, it'll grow back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why not do it for a good cause, like World's Greatest Shave?

Not a woman but i signed up for WGS but didn't get any donations do didn't feel 'entitled' to do it. I still haven't, but plan to do it then grow my hair really long.

Some women act as if shaving their hair is like cutting off their arm or something! For cripes sake, it's just hair, it'll grow back!
Well sure, it's just hair and it grows back...it isn't like cutting off our arm...but it can be very traumatic. I've had very long hair the majority of my adult life. When some of our attention comes from "oh, your hair is so pretty" etc., it really is amazing how much we internalize that with some of our identity. So, when we HAVE to shave our heads (in my case, for cancer), the shock of it all affects us on other levels we just never realized.

Being feminine and pretty is all tied in with our hair is all I'm sayin'...it might take extra adjustments to be able to be OK with it. And the first time someone says "o.m.g. you have no hair", it cuts just a little bit.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM

9,334 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've known a number of women who have shaved their heads FOR FREE in solidarity for friends undergoing chemo. A friend of mine who had a passel of people willing to do that for her told them if they did, she'd be very upset... so they didn't. She loved they were willing to do this for her, but really didn't want to be smacked in the face with her cancer every where she went.

So -- I might be willing to do it for that, but absolutely NOT for freaks on the internet to get their jollies.
I can understand not wanting to do that (or any other task) knowing you're going to be sexually objectified, but don't you think it's a little harsh to call them "freaks?" While their preferred style may be unusual, hair fetishes in general don't seem that far-fetched, given how integral hair is to people's appearances.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
in a word...no.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I have a young friend who has been totally bald now for three days....she donated her locks for cancer...they make wigs out of it for someone who's lost their hair from chemo...I'm proud of her, and think she is very brave...By the way...she made 0 dollers for giving her beautiful hair away.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I can understand not wanting to do that (or any other task) knowing you're going to be sexually objectified, but don't you think it's a little harsh to call them "freaks?" While their preferred style may be unusual, hair fetishes in general don't seem that far-fetched, given how integral hair is to people's appearances.

It reminds me of a scene from a Woody Allen film. A Rabbi sat in a chair as his wife knelt at his feet eating pork.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
Sorry it is not me who wants people who will shave their heads for money but someone on Craigslist. I just thought it would be an interesting question and I always wondered if most people would do pretty much anything for money just as long as it was legal.

On YOUTUBE there are some videos of people who are offered money on the street to shave their heads, but the amount is small, maybe $500. Now move that amount up to $1000 or more and most people would say yes, wouldn't they?

Actually, I am a black woman and I wear a haircut that is pretty close to bald. The trick to looking good with a close cut is not having any lumps in your head and a symmetrical shaped face.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Actually, I am a black woman and I wear a haircut that is pretty close to bald. The trick to looking good with a close cut is not having any lumps in your head and a symmetrical shaped face.
As I entered the grocery store last night, I saw a young mother with her hair just as you described yourself. I had to stare because she was soooo beautiful...then I almost ran into her little children. The daughter had the same hair style...very close cut. I just smiled at how utterly adorable she was...

I just thought it funny that I was just reading about that and then I see two live models of beauty. It's true though, it really helps if you have a nicely shaped head and symetrical face!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
As I entered the grocery store last night, I saw a young mother with her hair just as you described yourself. I had to stare because she was soooo beautiful...then I almost ran into her little children. The daughter had the same hair style...very close cut. I just smiled at how utterly adorable she was...

I just thought it funny that I was just reading about that and then I see two live models of beauty. It's true though, it really helps if you have a nicely shaped head and symetrical face!
I actually began wearing it like this by accident. I began going to the barber shop at the age of 14 because I had a big afro (I know I'm dating myself) So anyway, the boys gossipping and talking trash my barber was laughing so hard that he knicked me by mistake right in the top of my head. I was ticked off at first then I told him to shave it off and he did. At first I was self conscience but then I started to like it as I received compliments everywhere I went. Over the decades, I grew it off and on but as I got older I began to hate the maintenance. Now I actually hate when it starts to grow and get it shaved very low once a month.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:02 PM

370 posts, read 624,768 times
My hair is very long, so it would take a lot more than $1K. But $500K (tax free)? Let the buzzing commence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty