Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I thought this could be a fun thread. If there anything you have secretly been coveting for months or years, that you haven't purchased. Either due to price, level of practicality, accessibility, or lack of an occasion. Or something else.

And if you did get something on your covet list, how did it turn out, did it meet your expectations?

I'll share 3 of mine (sorry for the long post):
1. Movado watch. I started wanting one of these when I was around 12. I subscribed to Vogue and Vibe and with every issue it seemed, these watches would be on the back cover. To give you a sense of my watch style, I did not like numbers at all. From 3rd grade on. I had all of my "cool" swatch watches with the silly faces, and limited markings. I loved it. My parents thought I was crazy. So the first time I saw a Movado watch it was pretty much my perfect watch. Limited markings and sleek style (I went through aa super modern graphic phase that still shapes my style to this day. I don't really like florals, paisley and so on. I like graphic prints and solid colors, and it is hard for me to branch out.

At some point, after graduating college, I told myself as part of my transition to adulthood, I needed to get a nice watch (and a nice purse for work). So one day the stars aligned. I had gotten a promotion at work with a big pay raise. I was at the outlet mall, and there was a Movado outlet. I decided to go in. There was one watch on clearance, and it basically matched up with my basic watch requirements. Silver band. Black face. No crystals. It was like $250, a splurge but not completely out of line. So I was super hyped, I got my Movado watch.

I even felt "special" since I got a handwritten thank you not and congratulatory phone call from the sales rep. That was the end of the happy feelings. That watch was a complete lemon. After wearing it for a couple of days, I noticed a screw had fallen out. I took it over to the Movado shop to repair it (the outlet was super far). They fixed it up for me, since they had a few of the screws in stock. The watch scratched easily and had little scuffs after a few weeks. So I decided to retire it for "dress up occasions." Then I was ready to take it ou again for daily wear. And sure enough the next time I wore it a few months later, more screws came out. This time I wasn't under warranty, so I had to send it in for repair and it cost like $20 for shipping. At this point, I had lost 4 or 5 screws, and I was worried I would lose my watch. Now it is in my jewelry box and I am debating if I should just sell it. Totally over it on the Movado watches and I am holding out for my dream watch.

2. Alesya Bag: one of my wishlist items recently was a nice laptop bag. One that would fit my personal laptop (a macbook) and my clunky dell work laptop. One that looked like an "adult" bag, not to masculine or sporty. Obviously there are tons of cute bags for apple laptops, but once you have a bigger laptop the pickings are slim.

So I heard about this bag last year. I was on the fence, I wanted to see some reviews. Eventually the reviews trickled in, and then it was completely sold out. For half a year. I finally order the bag from the new collection. It is almost perfect, but I liked the old colors more. I have a few minor quibbles, like it is a tiny bit small for my 15" work laptop, but all in all it is a winner!

3. A Kelly Bag! This one has also been on my list since I was 12 or so. Way before I had any concept of the value of money. I just thought it looked elegant and classy, and Jackie O always looked so cool when pictured with her bag. So after I got my first job, I stared doing some exploratory research to see if I could make a Kelly Bag my first "nice purse." I was sadly mistaken when I heard about the prices and the waiting list. It was like a car or a Kelly bag.

So if one just showed up in a consignment store for a couple hundred dollars I'd be all over it. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait until I am a billionaire. [But let's be real, if I had one, I doubt I'd feel like I could walk around with such an expensive bag, it just wouldn't really be me. I could be OK with a Kelly inspired structured bag. I do have some cheaper, structured bag splurges in mind.]

Can't wait to hear your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
My neighbor's ass

Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Covet?
Meh.... I don't covet a thing. (yet alone a purse or watch)

Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
My neighbor's ass

Oh, the many times....

1) Bass amp-Had my sole bass amplifier, a small 5 watt practice amp, become a victim to a flood 3 years ago, and haven't replaced it, due to not being able to find anything as small (read:quiet) and it has always seemed to be a situation to where when I have the money for it, I can't find one.

2) A solid metal detector-going through alot of reviews and stuff for some, and will probably pull the trigger come Christmas, but this is something else I've been wanting for years.

3) A high-end DSLR camera. I want to take those long range shots!!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Dark wash denim skirt (not grandma length, either)
Brown leather jacket
Black leather trench
1 ct diamond stud earrings
$5,000 worth of med spa services

Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Pink denim skinny jeans, but it has to be the right shade of pink and the right material and cut.

And a vague idea of several waist cinching belts that actually fit my waist. I know I'm thin for a tall girl, but there are so many ladies out there that are far more petite, so why do the XS waist belts start at 26"?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM

110 posts, read 211,908 times
Chanel flap and a Celine mini luggage

Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
A custom tailored Brioni suit. I very, very rarely *yearn* for any article of clothing; if I truly want something I'll simply go buy it. I've always wanted a bespoke Brioni suit made specifically for my body but I just can't swallow the price tag of somewhere between $7000 and $12,000 for a fairly "basic" two-button suit. Is it an aspirational purchase? Yes it is. Will I one day bite the bullet and have one made? Possibly.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners View Post
Chanel flap and a Celine mini luggage
The Chanel flap is on my list too!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
A pair of Ariat boots. And this: (like I need another watch!)

Welcome to Armitron!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty