Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
ray bans
vans
skinny jeans
different shades on each nail
shaved sides

whats on your list
Trends that should go away in 2013:

Makeup
Plastic surgery
Tattoos
Clothing that exposes cleavage or other private parts
Jewelry
Clothing that is "racist" or otherwise expected to be worn only by members of one race (lest wearers from other races get picked on)
Hair coloring
Nail polish

Basically anything that detracts from / masks / changes the natural beauty of a person, and anything that turns a person into a sex object or something else generally seen as offensive by those in other age groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
According to this thread, about 50% of what I do is considered 'unfashionable' and needs to go away

EVERYONE follows trends, even the woman wearing button ups and mom jeans with loafers and the man wearing a power suit.

Get over yourselves and have some fun with what you're wearing and worry less about what people think
I don't think this thread was meant to be taken seriously. They're merely opinions. That doesn't mean one has to follow them, or that there aren't others who may actually share your preferences.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Trends that should go away in 2013:

Makeup
Plastic surgery
Tattoos
Clothing that exposes cleavage or other private parts
Jewelry
Clothing that is "racist" or otherwise expected to be worn only by members of one race (lest wearers from other races get picked on)
Hair coloring
Nail polish

Basically anything that detracts from / masks / changes the natural beauty of a person, and anything that turns a person into a sex object or something else generally seen as offensive by those in other age groups.
So...fig leaves? That seems to be all that's left.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

You could definitely make that look work!!!!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
Quote:
Haha!

Sorry Romani, nail polish, jewlery, make up, tattoos, and hair coloring aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Pea coats. They have been in style way to long.
Bubble Coats.
Army gear. It should only be worn by those in the Army.
Pick up trucks.
sleeveless shirts.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Pea coats. They have been in style way to long.
Bubble Coats.
Army gear. It should only be worn by those in the Army.
Pick up trucks.
sleeveless shirts.
Yes.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Oh, there's nothing wrong with modest clothing that doesn't risk offending people or sexualizing its wearer. Ultimately, there are only two reasons to wear clothing: 1) to retain body heat, 2) to avoid being indecent. Achieve both of those and you're golden. Nothing else is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Haha!

Sorry Romani, nail polish, jewlery, make up, tattoos, and hair coloring aren't going anywhere any time soon.
You're right. I wasn't saying that they ARE disappearing anytime soon. The title of the thread was things that SHOULD disappear sometime soon. Think about it this way. Last night we learned that yet another thing (person) that SHOULD disappear soon, will not BE disappearing anytime soon. It's all the same concept. People often don't know what's best for them or what is the truth... and those who continue to partake of the stuff I listed in my post are among that number. That's why that stuff SHOULD disappear.

After all, we are all beautiful... and in our natural form, as beautiful as we could ever be. So why wear makeup, get tattoos, wear jewelry, put on nail polish, dye our hair, or get plastic surgery? None of those things can improve our beauty... it's like being at the top of a mountain. No matter which way you move, if you move at all, you go down. In our natural form, we are each at the top of the mountain. Moving in any way, by applying makeup or getting a tattoo any of those other things, is moving downward.

We all want to be respected, so why wear clothing that makes us look sleazy?

We live in the "racism is evil" generation... so why wear clothing likely to offend other people with racist themes?

Given that none of the things in my list make any sense, they SHOULD disappear.

But alas, that doesn't mean that they WILL. Americans have this awful habit of avoiding doing things they SHOULD do, and instead doing things they would be best off NOT doing. I'm under no delusions here.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You could definitely make that look work!!!!
Next year's Halloween costume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Oh, there's nothing wrong with modest clothing that doesn't risk offending people or sexualizing its wearer. Ultimately, there are only two reasons to wear clothing: 1) to retain body heat, 2) to avoid being indecent. Achieve both of those and you're golden. Nothing else is necessary.

You're right. I wasn't saying that they ARE disappearing anytime soon. The title of the thread was things that SHOULD disappear sometime soon. Think about it this way. Last night we learned that yet another thing (person) that SHOULD disappear soon, will not BE disappearing anytime soon. It's all the same concept. People often don't know what's best for them or what is the truth... and those who continue to partake of the stuff I listed in my post are among that number. That's why that stuff SHOULD disappear.

After all, we are all beautiful... and in our natural form, as beautiful as we could ever be. So why wear makeup, get tattoos, wear jewelry, put on nail polish, dye our hair, or get plastic surgery? None of those things can improve our beauty... it's like being at the top of a mountain. No matter which way you move, if you move at all, you go down. In our natural form, we are each at the top of the mountain. Moving in any way, by applying makeup or getting a tattoo any of those other things, is moving downward.

We all want to be respected, so why wear clothing that makes us look sleazy?

We live in the "racism is evil" generation... so why wear clothing likely to offend other people with racist themes?

Given that none of the things in my list make any sense, they SHOULD disappear.

But alas, that doesn't mean that they WILL. Americans have this awful habit of avoiding doing things they SHOULD do, and instead doing things they would be best off NOT doing. I'm under no delusions here.
You're really not making any sense here. Our natural forms are beautiful and our natural forms are our unaltered naked bodies, so any clothing whether modest or revealing would be along away from our natural form, something you're firmly against. Additionally, how can any piece of clothing make us look sleazy if our natural forms are what makes us beautiful? If anything, wearing less clothing would bring us closer to our natural, unaltered state and would be less offensive to our natural beauty than something that fully covers us.

You're really sending mixed messages. Should we be ashamed of our bodies and cover them or proud of our bodies and show them in all their glory?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You're really not making any sense here. Our natural forms are beautiful and our natural forms are our unaltered naked bodies, so any clothing whether modest or revealing would be along away from our natural form, something you're firmly against. Additionally, how can any piece of clothing make us look sleazy if our natural forms are what makes us beautiful? If anything, wearing less clothing would bring us closer to our natural, unaltered state and would be less offensive to our natural beauty than something that fully covers us.

You're really sending mixed messages. Should we be ashamed of our bodies and cover them or proud of our bodies and show them in all their glory?
Truthfully, if we decouple my own personal opinion from the reality of everything, I believe we should all walk around naked. After all, if we all did, it wouldn't be "weird", "scandalous", etc... it'd be normal and we would get to the point where nobody stared at anyone any more than people do these days when we're all clothed. The original design of humans was that they'd be naked, and unashamed. Says so in Genesis... and I believe God had it right. (Somehow, that always turns out to be the case.) So, therefore, I basically agree with you that we should be proud of our bodies and show them in all their glory.

However, since it is deemed indecent to walk around naked except in very select areas like designated nude beaches, that's just one we're forced to take for the team. When I say "sleazy", I mean that, with the fact that we are effectively made to cover ourselves so as to avoid being deemed indecent by the powers that be (and arrested for it), there is a certain level of intent behind wearing revealing clothing - it is designed to attract attention... attention from horny members of the opposite gender. Let's face it. If a lady parades around wearing a shirt that shows four inches of cleavage and three inches of midriff, and super short shorts that practically show her butt crack, men won't look at her and think "She seems like she's a really nice, mature, intelligent, educated woman"... no... they'd think "ooo, check her out... I bet she's wild in the sack". If a man is walking around wearing a tank top that exposes four tattoos and Speedo shorts that accentuate what he has to offer, a woman won't think "he seems like a well-educated, successful, intellectually intriguing man"... she will think "ooo, look at that body... I bet he's really big!"

So, "sleazy" is indeed subjective. It's based upon the intent behind the clothing. Women who want to flaunt the beauty of their bodies without looking sleazy can easily do so, and the same is true for men. But we wouldn't have to worry about this if we all walked around naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty