Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Bar of Soap 109 44.49%
Body Wash 136 55.51%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times

Advertisements

I use bar soap, Dove. I have my own bathroom hen family/friends come to stay over, I buy a bottle of body wash. It's just weird for me to have someone else using my bar of soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Bar soap. I love the old fashioned Ivory bar, but not long ago I tried that Dove (bar also) with exfoliating stuff in it, and its great.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,666 times
Body wash. I use Old Spice 2-in-1, so I use it both as a body wash and shampoo (and it works great as a shaving cream), and it lathers better than most bar soaps.

And besides it's efficiency, I don't have to deal with soap scum.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Usually bar soap. I'm reading a lot of your posts, and you all complain about germs on the bar, and pubes, and whatever else... are you all saying that you think people who use bar soaps are ALL rubbing the bar over their skin? Is that what most people who use bar soaps do? That's kinda gross.

I rub up a lather of soap in my hands, put the soap back on the shelf, and then use my soapy hands to lather the rest of me up. The soap doesn't touch my pubes, or my germs, or anything else for that matter. Just my hands. And when I've finished with that batch of lather, I rinse off my hands, grab the bar, and lather them up again for the next round.

I mean - why cover your body with such a small surface area of soap, using a single bar, when you can spread the same amount of soap in a smaller amount of time by using the surface of both palms and your fingers?

On days when I'm particularly grungy (like if I was out in the garden, or worked up a serious sweat at the gym) I'll use a washcloth - soap up the cloth, put the bar down, and use the cloth on the grungiest areas. And then I'll use soapy hands for the rest of me. I use the wash cloth once, then it goes in the washing machine (or I might use it to clean the sink or the toilet seat the next day, with Scrubbing Bubbles or whatever).

Once in awhile I'll use a liquid body wash but it always feels slimy after I rinse it off, like I just can't get all of it off my skin.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I don't care for the melty goo of bar soap after it's been used and sitting in a soap dish.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't care for the melty goo of bar soap after it's been used and sitting in a soap dish.
Triple milled or French-milled soap does not melt in the soap dish. A bar lasts for 3-4 weeks, or longer, for two people.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 PM

340 posts, read 523,934 times
I do a lot of gardening, so bar soap is what I prefer for that. Seems to peel the dirt off my hands better than liquid soap.

That said... I have been purchasing body wash lately and have been enjoying it.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
I find soap dries my skin out too much so I use body wash, my current fave is The Body Shop Olive shower gel which leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturised. Hubby uses bar soap, it lives in its own slimy little corner of the shower *yuk*

Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
The poll frustrates me because it doesn't mention liquid soap or gender. I have a feeling that the majority of men uses bar soap and that the vast majority of single men does.

I use bar soap. I've never bought anything else. Sharing the bar feels gross to me. Actually, I use two bars on some days, the antibacterial stuff for most or all of my body and an aloe vera bar for the lower legs and forearms. Also, for a long time I have rubbed the bar onto a washcloth instead of directly onto me (feels gross). I don't know if I have ever showered without a washcloth, which I suppose has a good exfoliating effect.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I feel a bar does a better job on my skin...i feel cleaner after using a bar, but i stopped using it several years ago. The pain of scrubbing/cleaning the tub was why i switched to body wash....so much easier to clean my tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty