Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

I thought it was what Asians called "light" foundation. I am a fan of K-pop for about 10 years, and I noticed girls use foundation to lighten their skin tone. Women in Asia appear (at least on my single visit) to be like Latin American and Middle Eastern women and do not set foot outside w/o foundation and lipstick.

I noticed a lot of women had mild rashes on their cheeks in Korea...maybe BB cream is a way to market a "Lighter" makeup to women w/ the promise it won't be as bad for skin as foundation(?). I don't see it taking off in the US, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't use it because I try to keep my pores clear of smut. They're G-rated. I try to minimize foundation and now I use a powder form, which works pretty well. If I use moisturizer on my face, I try to ensure it is natural and goo/pigment free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post

I'm skeptical about the claim that it was originated from Germany since it's all the craze in Korea and Japan and I haven't heard of anything out of Germany. Sometimes Asian marketing has this thing where if a product is originated from a highly industrialized Western country, it adds a certain prestige to it and I suspect it might be what's going on behind the claim.
I think so. Everything I have ever read has indicated that it has its origins in Asian countries.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I thought it was what Asians called "light" foundation. I am a fan of K-pop for about 10 years, and I noticed girls use foundation to lighten their skin tone. Women in Asia appear (at least on my single visit) to be like Latin American and Middle Eastern women and do not set foot outside w/o foundation and lipstick.

I noticed a lot of women had mild rashes on their cheeks in Korea...maybe BB cream is a way to market a "Lighter" makeup to women w/ the promise it won't be as bad for skin as foundation(?). I don't see it taking off in the US, but I could be wrong.
I don't know, it is EVERYWHERE on beauty blogs and in mags right now.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know, it is EVERYWHERE on beauty blogs and in mags right now.
LOL Oh no. I guess for the girl who has to have foundation at all times. Sigh. I am an old bag who is out of it. No wonder I see young girls who look older than I do. I guess the "natural look" is out of fashion. It is going to suck if camouflage takes the place of naturally healthy skin.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Not too many of you all like Garnier BB cream. I got a tube last month and I've been wearing it every day. My complexion has significantly improved since I started using it (but then again I would rather attribute that to taking a great deal of stress out of my life recently, hehe). That improvement could be because I have constantly dry skin, and the dryness leads to worse acne breakouts--maybe my skin needed the grease! I am also happy with the coverage and evening of my skin tone.

My main problem with it is that the shade I'm using is not right for my skin tone. My local mass retailers only offer two shades, "light-to-medium" and "medium-to-dark" and I'm quite sure I need "fair" or "fair-to-light" shades that are offered in other make up brands. I should do more research and keep trying brands because I like the concept of BB cream.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
I've been using Missha Perfect Cover everyday since 2010. Used to use their Watery BB Cream but they discontinued it. I like Missha since it has more color range as I'm fairly tanned. The coverage is ok, I don't need a lot but just to even out my skin. It doesn't break me out at all and it's fairly matted. I don't like how it dries out after about 6 hours or so though if I don't thoroughly moisturize my skin beforehand. It's SPF 42 but I still wear a moisturizer and another moisturizer with SPF 30 under it.

I'm looking into trying the Skin79 Gold brand since I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'm skeptical about the claim that it was originated from Germany since it's all the craze in Korea and Japan and I haven't heard of anything out of Germany. Sometimes Asian marketing has this thing where if a product is originated from a highly industrialized Western country, it adds a certain prestige to it and I suspect it might be what's going on behind the claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think so. Everything I have ever read has indicated that it has its origins in Asian countries.
BB cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is BB Cream and why are Asian women crazy about it?
All You Need to Know About BB Creams | Beautylish
http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/bb-cream/history.aspx
http://secretgarden.shawwebspace.ca/...bout_bb_cream/

These are a few of the sites where I got that it came from Germany. From what I have read, it had a medical use before it was used mainly for cosmetics. Japan and Korea have a bunch of crazes, no telling where they get them all, lol.

I wish the better BB creams came in colors that would match my skin well! I heard the Korean and Japanese ones have skin brighteners and acne fighting agents in them along with spf. *dreamy eyes*

Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
BB cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is BB Cream and why are Asian women crazy about it?
All You Need to Know About BB Creams | Beautylish
BB Cream - Miracle Skin Perfector - Your 5-in-1 solution - Garnier
All About BB Cream -

These are a few of the sites where I got that it came from Germany. From what I have read, it had a medical use before it was used mainly for cosmetics. Japan and Korea have a bunch of crazes, no telling where they get them all, lol.

I wish the better BB creams came in colors that would match my skin well! I heard the Korean and Japanese ones have skin brighteners and acne fighting agents in them along with spf. *dreamy eyes*
Do you mean bleaching agents. I noticed almost all of the Korean girls had rashes on their faces, usually on the cheeks. I thought it was acne at first, but it was pretty universal. Even actresses have the same rashes. I did a little research and it turns out to be a side effect of the skin whitening ingredients.

There are also a surprising (to me) number of "anti-acne" products being marketed to adults there. I believe it was to combat the rashes caused by the whitening products people use on a regular basis. I guess it could also be the effect of wearing makeup all the time.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Do you mean bleaching agents. I noticed almost all of the Korean girls had rashes on their faces, usually on the cheeks. I thought it was acne at first, but it was pretty universal. Even actresses have the same rashes. I did a little research and it turns out to be a side effect of the skin whitening ingredients.

There are also a surprising (to me) number of "anti-acne" products being marketed to adults there. I believe it was to combat the rashes caused by the whitening products people use on a regular basis. I guess it could also be the effect of wearing makeup all the time.
There are things that are considered skin brighteners that aren't bleaching agents.

Soy is marketed as a skin brightener -- it helps fade light melasma.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM

556 posts, read 797,997 times
Clinique bb cream is amazing. It has totally replaced foundation and powder for me.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
On another beauty board I frequent there is a really long thread on them. The concencus seemed to be that the best ones were from Asia. I haven't tried any yet tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty