Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You can wear anything you want during the day and people do but if you are aiming to make the best dressed list then no beads or sequins before dark. It's not "appropriate".
Haha, no I don't care about the best dressed list! I can march to my own drummer but I also don't want to be known as that older frumpy receptionist who is clueless about current style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Haha, no I don't care about the best dressed list! I can march to my own drummer but I also don't want to be known as that older frumpy receptionist who is clueless about current style!
You could put some looks together using Polyvore and see what you come up with, and what appeals to you. I especially recommend doing this if you have an idea, but aren't entirely sure how it would come together.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I love Christmas jewelry, silver snowman pin, red ornament earrings, Christmas tree pin with tiny crystal ornaments, Holly necklace, etc. All perfecly appropriate for day or night.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Actually, daytime bling is perfectly in fashion now (within reason). Stores are full of tops made from shimmery fabrics. NOT sequins or rhinestones all over, though. Just a fabric with some shimmer, or maybe an embellishment at the top of the shirt. I've seen some in daytime colors, like peach, cranberry, and light gray. For an evening Christmas party, I generally just go with little black dress. Safe, easy.

For women our age, most of the stuff people recommend won't look good (if you're very fit, then great, but most of us are sagging a bit here and there and might even have some rolls). I have found a couple of online retailers that sell dresses with a cut that is very flattering and forgiving, and if you have trouble finding things that look good on your figure you might try them out. www.bodenusa.com sells a lot of dresses with an empire waist (totally hides the tummy), and I've gotten a few great dresses from www.garnetthill.com as well. One tip - avoid JCPenney - they have a huge stock of incredibly tacky holiday dresses.

For shoes, the one fashion crime that drives me crazy is really cheap black leather pumps that look a bit worn. They can really look awful, especially in a very low heel with a rounded toe. Make sure your black dress shoe looks good - just because it's black doesn't mean it's just going to fade into the background of your outfit. If you are a comfort-shoe person, then invest in good quality comfort shoes, like Jambu or Naot. Aerosoles are also a good choice - less expensive, but comfortable and some of the styles are pretty nice-looking. I recommend a black suede shoe for winter instead of regular leather. I would wear it with black stockings - nude stockings are out, and barely black nylons are iffy.

And don't forget underwear - invest in Spanx. Check out your back view for bra rolls and panty lines, etc. That stuff can ruin an outfit as well.

I actually think that even though the traditional xmas sweater is the opposite of fashionable (honestly, it always has been), if you like your xmas sweater then I think you get a pass as long as you wear it at xmas time. Plenty of people stubbornly wear them just because they want to. I think of it like a halloween costume - it's not meant to be fashionable, just fun. Not to be worn to work or anything - just at home.

For work you run your own risk as far as holiday wear. On the one hand, it's fun and doesn't actually need to be fashionable. On the other, it's not extremely professional. If you are secure in your job and your work image, then I guess it's fine for you. However, in most work places a holiday sweater, snowman earings, etc., while cute and fun, definitely broadcast old-fashioned and not extremely professional.

Last edited by marie5v; 12-07-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM

571 posts, read 1,201,221 times
YES, bling for the daytime! But balance it. If you wear a sequined top - let's say it is a basic pullover style, pair it with a white cotton dress shirt underneath (collar showing), bottom peeping out of the sequined top. This would look great with a pencil skirt. If you aren't in the work place, pair the sequined top with a denim jacket and black slacks.

For the evening event - I say focus on flattering your best assets. The only thing I caution against is appearing "stuffy" - you don't want hair that's too styled, with a brooch, jewelry, a fancy clutch. Nothing looks better than a simple dress with a fancy updo or a sequined cocktail dress with loose hair and minimal makeup. Some people around the holidays venture into looking like they are wearing a costume and the person just doesn't shine through.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM

301 posts, read 823,942 times
Just to be clear - I would avoid anything (clothing, jewelry, etc) with holiday themes. I don't know of much that shouts "frumpy" or "old lady" louder than a sweater with Christmas trees, santa's, etc. on them. Ditto with the rhinestone Christmas tree brooch or dangling holiday ornament earrings. I passed by Christopher & Banks in the mall yesterday and was amused at all the sweatshirts with log cabins, trees, Santa's, etc. on them. I couldn't resist, so I stopped in and asked a sales clerk who the buyers of them were. She said it was mostly much older women or folks buying for their grandmothers.

Lots of good advice on what TO buy/wear in this thread!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Just to be clear - I would avoid anything (clothing, jewelry, etc) with holiday themes. I don't know of much that shouts "frumpy" or "old lady" louder than a sweater with Christmas trees, santa's, etc. on them. Ditto with the rhinestone Christmas tree brooch or dangling holiday ornament earrings. I passed by Christopher & Banks in the mall yesterday and was amused at all the sweatshirts with log cabins, trees, Santa's, etc. on them. I couldn't resist, so I stopped in and asked a sales clerk who the buyers of them were. She said it was mostly much older women or folks buying for their grandmothers.

Lots of good advice on what TO buy/wear in this thread!
Agree....I also would not wear anything overtly "holiday" such as santa/tree pins, earring etc. The only time I ever wore these things was when I was home alone with my preschoolers and they thought it was fun. I wouldn't go into public wearing these kind of accessories - but that's just me.

My personal "holiday" style is that I wear a lot of cashmere sweaters with subtle beading/sparkle during the day with casual skirts/dark denim jeans w/tall boots. I have some sparkly black, dark red/burgundy, green cocktail dresses I'll wear in the evening with sparkly silver or black heels and minimalist jewelry (don't want to overdo the sparkle!).

Green is a very fashionable color now in cocktail dress - lots of pretty green holiday dresses in the shops now and the color looks great on a lot of women.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Thanks for all good input! My preference would be to wear the classic black dress just above the knee with dressy high heels and a shawl or wrap of some typeof some type but can't do the heels due to foot problems!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Thanks for all good input! My preference would be to wear the classic black dress just above the knee with dressy high heels and a shawl or wrap of some typeof some type but can't do the heels due to foot problems!
Do the dress, but wear it with some knee-high flat black boots.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do the dress, but wear it with some knee-high flat black boots.
Or ballet flats. These are festive and Naturalizer is usually pretty comfy. Naturalizer Leana Nickel Alloy Metallic - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty