Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

In advertising, films, or hell, even in real life. In my younger days, it was like a candy shop but now, I think I've become sort of de-sensitized, or it's not a big deal, so why should I be complaining, right? I still find women sexy, but seeing them constantly has made it seem less special. Maybe the Muslims were onto something, lol jk.

I don't know, I probably sound like an old school feminist, but it just seems almost corny to see scantily clad women everywhere. It's like they're trying too hard to be sexy. To me that can make them seem LESS sexy. Having effortless sex appeal that doesn't just depend on your dress but your whole attitude/drive... Or in real life when they go out clubbing, the way they flaunt it, like you can see their panties or whatnot. I feel like a dirty old man perving on them but you kinda feel that's their intention...Getting back to it, what makes it stranger is that men are seldom portrayed this way, except maybe being topless. There should be more equality in how men vs women are portrayed. Also women are shown everywhere: have a look at magazines, Cosmopolitan and FHM are both like 80-90% photos of women, it's like beauty is totally dominated by female beauty. People say it's changing but not as much as you'd think. Anyway wondering if anyone else can relate, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Agree. It makes it less special and seems desperate.

Not a dude but...similar thoughts.

Except for clubbing. That is sort of where it belongs even if they don't know how to sit in a dress.

Muslim thing is actually covers both sexes in terms of modesty of dress.
Christians also believe in the same amount of modesty.

Both religions have varying interpretations of the level of coverage.
Certain areas do have laws in the middle east but it is a small percentage compared to areas that don't.

p.s. throwing it out there everywhere sets a bad example for younger females too that may not have grown the coping skills to adapt in a situation healthily where the can handle the backlash. Google: Amanda Todd

Last edited by Opsimathia; 12-23-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
That's a losing battle, like a salmon swimming downstream against the swarm. I don't see it changing any time soon.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Agree. It makes it less special and seems desperate.

Not a dude but...similar thoughts.

Except for clubbing. That is sort of where it belongs even if they don't know how to sit in a dress.

Muslim thing is actually covers both sexes in terms of modesty of dress.
Christians also believe in the same amount of modesty.

Both religions have varying interpretations of the level of coverage.
Certain areas do have laws in the middle east but it is a small percentage compared to areas that don't.

p.s. throwing it out there everywhere sets a bad example for younger females too that may not have grown the coping skills to adapt in a situation healthily where the can handle the backlash. Google: Amanda Todd
I've always thought super short dresses (or should I say tops) and heels seemed inappropriate for clubbing, especially heels, but given it's mostly about 'getting some' I guess it is the appropriate place after all.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,028 times
Personally I don't care what people wear, but I am tired of the double standards whereby men these days seem to be forbidden from showing any kind of skin, forced to wear baggy trunks to swim in or go to the beach. In the workplace, women can get away with wearing much lighter and more comfortable clothing, men are forced to wear socks & shoes (no wonder our feet look so bad because they hardly see daylight!).

Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Heh, this is pretty amusing and I sorta feel the same way.

One of the most ridiculous things I see lately is young women wearing tube tops(with spaghetti straps or whatever they call them) and short skirts in 30 and 40 degree weather. Ladies, you don't look sexy. You look like idiots.

Some actually have some sense though. One reason to love winter is seeing all the ladies bundled up for the cold who still manage to look sexy and appealing. High boots, tights, furry hats. And it's sorta like Christmas where unwrapping the present is half the fun. New York does it best in the states and I'm still recovering from whiplash after a trip to snowy Europe.

Showing too much skin is the lazy way to do things. Sorry ladies but I'll take December in Paris over July in Panama City Beach any day.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
LMAO...
What about the stuff yeah don't wanna see from some ladies..IDK about you, but i see many younger woman who feel the need to have fat rolls hanging out from their shirts for all the world to see..
Nothing sexy about that..

Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm a straight guy but I'm actually getting kind of sick of seeing scantily clad women everywhere
Stay home
Close your eyes

lots of ways to keep your delicate sensibilities from being offended.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 PM

468 posts, read 553,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Heh, this is pretty amusing and I sorta feel the same way.

One of the most ridiculous things I see lately is young women wearing tube tops(with spaghetti straps or whatever they call them) and short skirts in 30 and 40 degree weather. Ladies, you don't look sexy. You look like idiots.

Where have you seen this prevail?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Trimac, I am more and more convinced that you're actually an 80 year old man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty