Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Kygman, this is what I am talking about. Your wife I assume is probably a really sensible, practical and intelligent woman.
She is all of that and she STILL married me! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
If a woman doesn't wear makeup, there's a strong chance she won't be taken seriously and that people will think she's lazy. It's unfortunate, but true. At my last job I was told that I'd have a better chance of getting promoted if I took the job more seriously, which mean putting on makeup and spending more time on my hair. This was a job as a mechanic... and that's not the first time that's been said to me, especially in male dominated professions.

I have curly hair and I'm expected to straighten it. If I don't wear makeup, I have people ask me if I'm sick.

Luckily, at the job I'm at right now I work by myself in a secured location so I don't have to worry about it as much. It's a huge relief

Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
When I, a married woman, wear makeup and nice clothes it is not to be sexually attractive to men. It is to feel that I'm putting my best self out there.
Interestingly though, I just stopped working, and have not worn makeup since then (hence, my Status). but I still don't go to the mailbox without tinted moisturizer, mascara and lipstick. I feel like its a slippery slope from well put together to "the faces of Walmart".

Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I, a married woman, wear makeup and nice clothes it is not to be sexually attractive to men. It is to feel that I'm putting my best self out there.
Interestingly though, I just stopped working, and have not worn makeup since then (hence, my Status). but I still don't go to the mailbox without tinted moisturizer, mascara and lipstick. I feel like its a slippery slope from well put together to "the faces of Walmart".
LOL reading this made me smile because I can relate.

I quit working in March. Since then I have lost 18 pounds (yay!) and had to buy all new pants and many new tops, which was great because all I had was a professional wardrobe (banking), yoga pants (yoga), and horrible looking clothes that I wear to work in the yard or refinish furniture! I hardly had anything in between that was cute but casual.

So - this all sort of made me revamp my entire outlook on getting dressed and going. For decades I had gotten up really early, and given myself plenty of time to drink several cups of coffee and read the news online, go outside even and do a little garden weeding, before jumping in the bath and doing a full out "professional attire" ordeal - shaved legs, flat ironed hair, makeup, heels, you name it.

My husband met me when I was a professional, and I've always felt that he liked that side of me - we'd often go to dinner after work and when I'd mention changing he'd always say, "You really look nice just the way you are." He really likes a sophisticated look anyway when it comes to women.

So this has made me pretty particular about keeping up the cute factor in spite of my suddenly VERY CASUAL lifestyle.

When he is home (he works out of town a lot), I get up in the morning, get dressed in something cute, and "put my face on." Now - I don't wear lipstick and eyeshadow much - really it's more like a very light foundation, a touch of blush, mascara and lipgloss, but I also always shave my legs and wear perfume every day even though I'm not working - and I make sure my hair is in good shape too. Oh, and I wear my contacts instead of glasses when he's home too.

Now - if he's out of town and I don't have any place to go - I may scuttle around the house all day in yoga pants and no makeup, and never put my contacts in either! But when my man is home - my looks are a top priority, and that includes some makeup and a flat iron!

It's very important to me for him to find me attractive - as well as the rest of my family. I would be embarrassed to let myself go and quit wearing light makeup around them. Next thing you know, there'd be TV cameras and an intervention team at my house because they'd all be SURE I needed some professional help!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL reading this made me smile because I can relate.

I quit working in March. Since then I have lost 18 pounds (yay!) and had to buy all new pants and many new tops, which was great because all I had was a professional wardrobe (banking), yoga pants (yoga), and horrible looking clothes that I wear to work in the yard or refinish furniture! I hardly had anything in between that was cute but casual.

So - this all sort of made me revamp my entire outlook on getting dressed and going. For decades I had gotten up really early, and given myself plenty of time to drink several cups of coffee and read the news online, go outside even and do a little garden weeding, before jumping in the bath and doing a full out "professional attire" ordeal - shaved legs, flat ironed hair, makeup, heels, you name it.

My husband met me when I was a professional, and I've always felt that he liked that side of me - we'd often go to dinner after work and when I'd mention changing he'd always say, "You really look nice just the way you are." He really likes a sophisticated look anyway when it comes to women.

So this has made me pretty particular about keeping up the cute factor in spite of my suddenly VERY CASUAL lifestyle.

When he is home (he works out of town a lot), I get up in the morning, get dressed in something cute, and "put my face on." Now - I don't wear lipstick and eyeshadow much - really it's more like a very light foundation, a touch of blush, mascara and lipgloss, but I also always shave my legs and wear perfume every day even though I'm not working - and I make sure my hair is in good shape too. Oh, and I wear my contacts instead of glasses when he's home too.

Now - if he's out of town and I don't have any place to go - I may scuttle around the house all day in yoga pants and no makeup, and never put my contacts in either! But when my man is home - my looks are a top priority, and that includes some makeup and a flat iron!

It's very important to me for him to find me attractive - as well as the rest of my family. I would be embarrassed to let myself go and quit wearing light makeup around them. Next thing you know, there'd be TV cameras and an intervention team at my house because they'd all be SURE I needed some professional help!

Congratulations!!

I've lost 25 lbs in the past few weeks and haven't gone down a pants size yet The perks of being tall, I suppose.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Because in this day and age it's expected for women to wear makeup to feel attractive or even normal. Women are made to feel ugly or naked without makeup.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Women wear make-up because they feel good with it.

Simple as that.

I like when a woman put some effort in her appearance. My wife does and stands out among the rest.
Whether it be attracting a mate, or showing up friends, this need to 'feel good' is really, like everything in life, based on the fear of avoiding a negative. The fear of being perceived as ugly and a slob, and the self-esteem one gets from appearing superficially attractive.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Oftentimes something as simple as wearing makeup can change the way you carry yourself, also. I notice when I wear makeup I'm much more likely to look a stranger in the eye or walk with what my husband calls my "power walk." It makes some women feel better about themselves. That's not a bad thing.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Oftentimes something as simple as wearing makeup can change the way you carry yourself, also. I notice when I wear makeup I'm much more likely to look a stranger in the eye or walk with what my husband calls my "power walk." It makes some women feel better about themselves. That's not a bad thing.
It has a lot to do with power, if you go to a meeting looking unkempt and little or no trouble taken over your appearance, who would take you seriously but if you are well groomed and feeling good about yourself you will be noticed and taken notice of.It always worked for me.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,378 times
Because they are either ugly or sluts or both.
I appreciate beauty without makeup. If she is ugly, makeup makes her look worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty