Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I hope you are not as chauvinistic as this makes you sound. I don't wear makeup to "court men." Nor do I dress nicely, keep myself in shape, practice good hygiene, get attractive haircuts, or wear pretty jewelry to "court men." I like things that look nice. I enjoy them. I feel prettier with makeup, jewelry, hair done, and nicely made clothing than I feel with bed head, splotchy-skinned face, and a sweatsuit. Does my husband appreciate the effort I put into looking my best? Yes. Is it a cultural thing? Certainly. But ultimately I do it for me. Makeup (and all the rest) is fun and artistic.

I am sorry but this is garbage. I do not think the OP was being chauvinistic. I do all these things mostly just to get attention from men. What is the point after that.

I am way more comfortable not make up, comfortable shoes and letting me hair go free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm a dude but thanks for playing.

I'm sure it's more the other way around, no woman who wears makeup would be with you. Which is the problem. If you weren't so insecure, you wouldn't have took the time to start this ridiculous thread attacking woman. So you don't like woman that wear makeup. First off, that's just absurd. If true, you have deep emotional issues. Again, screams insecure. Maybe a female authority figure violated you as a child. If so, in all seriousness, seek therapy. I'm not kidding. If not? who are you to judge someone for the choices they make that do not hurt you or effect you? Ah, nobody. nobody. And that's the problem. In your day to day world, your insignificant. You're nobody. Tired of woman rejecting you? Is this how you lash out? Pathetic. So you see, it is you that is pathetic, and very far below me. But I guess when you lack the intellect to argue a shallow ridiculous viewpoint, you have no other recourse other than to sling insults at someone. These are the type responses one can expect. Predictable. Funny.
Completely agree with this. Makeup, perfume all this stuff is full of toxins that I do not choose submit my body to please someone else.
There are more natural makeup products.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
Personally...If I don't have makeup on, I don't hide...but the make up is to enhance your natural beauty, and when I look better I feel better. Sure, I get why a person might think it is to attract others...But the truth is at least for me, it is to make me look my best, so that I feel confident when I present myself to the World.
I might equate it to a guy, wanting his car to be clean, it just looks better and makes you feel better about yourself.

Last edited by JanND; 01-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,054 times
Because I like looking polished with reduced dark circles and my skin perfectly even.

My married seventy year old grandmother still take cares of herself and wear lipstick before she goes out. What was she thinking? Does she think she's going to attract some men when she's married? About that woman from Yugoslavia who would put on a lipstick even though she only had one cup of water to wash herself with because her water was cut off?

Get a grip. Taking care of oneself give some people a sense of dignity and make themselves feel put together. It's the same reason why some people would still put on a suit every day even when they're unemployed and not wallowing in their PJ with a bag of cheetos.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I am a woman and I don't wear makeup -- except on VERY rare occasions. And even then it's only lipstick. (About once a year, if that.) To be fair though I might wear lipstick and eye shadow if I had a banquet or some BIG event...which I haven't had the need for in YEARS.

I think throughout history it's usually been the female of a species that's had to attract the male, so fast forward to today and that's still the case. Women think they're 'prettier' with makeup.

I wouldn't say I'm militantly anti-make up but decades ago, it dawned on me that MEN don't spend HUNDREDS of dollars on their hair, makeup, skin, hair etc. -- not to mention cumulative HOURS -- let's say a half-hour extra a day on those things just to leave the house -- why am I? I just decided I'm not doing it.

Plus not wearing makeup keeps the chemicals on my skin to an absolute minimum.

Women give all kinds of reason for wearing make up: even out skin tone, make whatever feature "x" go away, make me feel better, make me look better, enhance my looks....again ....it's mighty funny MEN don't feel the need to do all that.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Sorry, but I don't really care whether men need it or not. Women have thinner skin than men. We're biologically different from men in that regard. Our skin needs differ. Typically, our veins show through our skin more than men's veins do, which is one reason that we have more issues with dark circles, as well as wrinkles over time. Everyone's different but this is generally true.

Also, it's just cultural dressing. Different cultures celebrate the FASCINATING DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN in different ways. In the western world, makeup is one way we do that.

I wear very light makeup - and often only powder, lipgloss and mascara, which takes about 3 minutes to put on. But I can ASSURE YOU that I'm not doing it to attract MEN. I do it in part because I ENJOY doing it. I find my morning routine of bath, hair, makeup, etc relaxing and pleasant. I like the polished look I have when I finish that short but pleasant routine. I am a happily married 50 year old woman with grown kids and grandkids.

Speaking of grandkids, a week or so ago, one of my little granddaughters told me, "MiMi, you're so beautiful." Now - THAT'S made my morning routine well worth it!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
Why does it always have to matter what "men" do. I'm not a man, I'm a WOMAN and I don't care to base my decisions/wants/needs on what men do/think. If I were a man maybe I would care but since I'm not I don't. Which is why I don't wear make-up for men or to attract them either. I do just fine attracting men without make-up as well as with make-up. I wear make-up because I like the way it makes me feel/look, the same as how I feel/look when I put on my Jimmy Choos and Valentino clutch. It is a personal expression that has nothing to do with anyone but me. If a man doesn't like it so be it, just like I have the right not to like a man under 6ft tall, not clean cut, etc.

I don't care about or want to be equal to men, I like being a woman and the choices being a woman allows me. I keep my hair, skin, nails, etc. in great shape for me and so I can look MY best.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 AM

309 posts, read 515,737 times
One of the reasons is to widen the gap between looking neutral and being more feminine. In America, many value men being very manly, and women very feminine.

Cuturally, it tends to be the burden of the 'weaker sex' to prove their worth appearance-wise. And the other to show their braun either by muscular mass, money, or both.

Hence the wide spread acceptance of fake look when the occasions call for it.

Sad to say fake is the new normal.

Last edited by Waterlily Pad; 01-19-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I am a woman and I don't wear makeup -- except on VERY rare occasions. And even then it's only lipstick. (About once a year, if that.) To be fair though I might wear lipstick and eye shadow if I had a banquet or some BIG event...which I haven't had the need for in YEARS.

I think throughout history it's usually been the female of a species that's had to attract the male, so fast forward to today and that's still the case. Women think they're 'prettier' with makeup.

I wouldn't say I'm militantly anti-make up but decades ago, it dawned on me that MEN don't spend HUNDREDS of dollars on their hair, makeup, skin, hair etc. -- not to mention cumulative HOURS -- let's say a half-hour extra a day on those things just to leave the house -- why am I? I just decided I'm not doing it.

Plus not wearing makeup keeps the chemicals on my skin to an absolute minimum.

Women give all kinds of reason for wearing make up: even out skin tone, make whatever feature "x" go away, make me feel better, make me look better, enhance my looks....again ....it's mighty funny MEN don't feel the need to do all that.
So what was the point in you starting a thread asking for make-up recommendations?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
One of the reasons is to widen the gap between looking neutral and being more feminine. In America, many value men being very manly, and women very feminine.

Cuturally, it tends to be the burden of the 'weaker sex' to prove their worth appearance-wise. And the other to show their braun either by muscular mass, money, or both.

Hence the wide spread acceptance of fake look when the occasions call for it.

Sad to say fake is the new normal.
Culturally things have changed. Just as not every woman is barefoot & pregnant who has to depend on a man/husband for financial security. Not every attractive woman is a bimbo who has nothing to offer but her looks. Also if it was socially acceptable for men to not take pride in their appearance as well, they wouldn't make men in the public eye (actors/journalists/etc.) have to go to "make-up" before getting in front of the camera. The image you project speaks volumes of how people perceive you and you are judged for it whether you like it or not. Looking "natural" has never been the norm. Models are air bushed on magazines, actors looks are enhanced in films, etc. and there is a reason for it. The way you look will project negatively or positively and unless you live under a rock, you have to deal with others in some capacity and your appearance will matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty