Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM

148 posts, read 188,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Oh please. The vast majority of people who work out are doing it for vanity and not health. You don't hear people say 'wow, she looks like she's been focusing on her health and she looks much stronger!'. No, they say 'she looks like she lost weight and now she's hot!'.

All you have to do is look at the thread where you're posting about how unattractive and worthless 'fat women' are to see you true colors. I'm stronger and healthier than most people I know and take FAR better care of my body than my slender friend who models over in LA who subsists on diet coke, cigarettes and fig newtons (she swears they are nutritious) but you would probably peg her as healthier than me because she's thin.

Just admit it, you work out solely for vanity sake because you have deep seated psychological issues.

there is a massive difference between being fat and being toned

i agree that any toned woman is better looking than an anorexic model type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post
there is a massive difference between being fat and being toned

i agree that any toned woman is better looking than an anorexic model type
And I know for a fact that people would immediately peg her as healthier than me because she's thin. I'm not toned and I will probably never be, but I am healthy.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I would have to presume the mass majority of women wear makeup though.
Now I'm curious. Is make-up wearing a regional, cultural or class phenomenon? Or some combination of these and more? In Seattle, few women wear make-up. In coastal California, where there's a popular beach or surfer culture, make-up wearing isn't a majority thing (not much point in wearing make-up when you're in and out of the water a lot). This is also true of intellectual environments, like universities. Environmentalists also tend not to wear makeup. So where you have a confluence of all these factors, you'll find few women who wear makeup. So I'm wondering where this "mass majority" (did you mean "vast" majority?) of women who wear makeup is. Because I just haven't seen it in any of the places I've lived in the US. Maybe it's more of a mid-western and Southern thing. And I'm wondering if makeup-wearing is as common in Europe. I read an article that said French men prefer women to be makeup-free, they prefer the natural look, and don't want a big smear of color to wash off the pillow in the morning.

I can't help but wonder if this topic is just an excuse to bash women, since the generality underpinning it doesn't really hold.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-30-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 PM

54 posts, read 62,301 times
Quote:
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason? Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are? Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband? If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade? Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
Hi OP giving you my take on things....

I'm pretty natural in terms of not wearing more makeup than necessary. My SO (husband) perfers the natural look since I'm red headed, green eyes and pale. He's attracted to my natural beauty and he met me when I was wearing pretty much just nude lipstick and eyeshadow. He's used to seeing me in the buff makeup wise. That being said I wear makeup for work because I'm tired of the comments about looking a bit pale and have you not been getting enough sun lol.

If I could get away with it I would only wear lighter shades of lipstick and eyeshadow and forego the rest. I'll admit I feel a bit under done without lipstick. I don't feel the need to improve my sex appeal for the general public, other men or anyone else because I love my SO more than anything. When the SO and I married I had a natural look with my makeup because he said to me in a joking manner that he didn't want to kiss a clown

I think the goal of makeup is different for each woman; for me its to give me a bit of colour so others don't think I'm under the weather or don't get enough to eat or have enough sun. I don't think makeup is supposed to make you look better than you normally look, its supposed to accentuate your beauty.

My take on makeup anyhow~

Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
'Paint your nails, don't be a plain Jane': U.S. intelligence agency doles out fashion advice to employees | Mail Online

" Employees at the Defense Intelligence Agency in Washington, D.C. received some blunt fashion advice this week on how to look their best at the office."

Read more: 'Paint your nails, don't be a plain Jane': U.S. intelligence agency doles out fashion advice to employees | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

LOL...Just WOW.

I love make up but really...I mean REALLY....good grief.

I guess you "need" it if you work in Washington.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,554 times
my husband told me that makeup is for whores and before he proposed i stopped my beauty regiments and he didn't even notice and said that i looked more beautiful without makeup and today i dont use makeup i told my children makeup is bad! anyway i do notice girls are obsessed with eye liner and all that crap,****,fake **** can burn in frickin hell all those shallow ****s can back off cos they're getting on MY ****

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,576 times
Women do feel prettier when wearing make up and because of this we feel more confident. There are just some things that men would not understand, and there are also things that men does which us women would not understand either.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:53 PM

123 posts, read 151,528 times
Everyone love beauty and they want to show the most beautiful side to others. I think that is why women make-up. They love beauty, by wearing make-up, they will look more pretty. On the other side, they are worrying about their husband will not love them one day just because of their appearance. So, they would love to makeup.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 650 times
Women love beautiful, wear beautiful, because this make us looks more confident, and i like buying many clothes, especially dresses, i found a shopping app"getone", they have many cheap and nice clothes and other things. it can meets my demands,great!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 PM

89 posts, read 146,479 times
Default It's Not A "Need"

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
Who says it's a "need?" Why can't it be because they want to? I wear makeup anytime I go somewhere. Not because I feel there is a "need" but because I choose to. It's something I enjoy and I like how I look after I put on my makeup. You sound as if it's wrong to choose to wear makeup. Why all the judging?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty