Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,113 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it's the portrait artist in me, but I notice everything about people I see each day. Their eye color, how they wear their hair, if they have worn or new shoes on, do they wear jewelry, have tattoos, do they wear a wig, or dye their hair, etc., etc. One thing I never ever fail to notice is a man's hands. Are they strong looking? Are they long fingered or do they have short stubby digits? Do they keep their fingernails clean and clipped? My latest observation is that more and more men have small, almost feminine looking hands. Why is this? I think it's because a lot of men do not work with their hands anymore. I've especially noticed this with the 20 & 30-somethings. It seems that guys who have played a lot of video games and haven't had to do much manual work have small girly looking hands. Perhaps I am nutty for even thinking about these things when I look at a man's hands. Is it just me, or have you also noticed the decline in manly hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times
Not sure if this is the right place for your thread, but it's as a good as any I can think of off the top of my hand.

Slaves with white collars. While I wouldn't want to perform manual labor for a my entire life, it is refreshing to do some actual real work occasionally (whether that be working the garden, wrenching on the truck, building a shed, etc). Man cards should be revoked from a guys who don't know how to change the oil on their personal vehicle.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,703 times
I LOVE masculine hands. I agree, though, that hands among the 20/30 set look a little feminine. I always thought they reminded me of pianist hands.

I had a cousin who always checked out a guy's hands, raving if they were large and somewhat rough.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times
Hands are one of the first things I notice about a guy, physically.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM

4,220 posts, read 6,903,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for your thread, but it's as a good as any I can think of off the top of my hand.

Slaves with white collars. While I wouldn't want to perform manual labor for a my entire life, it is refreshing to do some actual real work occasionally (whether that be working the garden, wrenching on the truck, building a shed, etc). Man cards should be revoked from a guys who don't know how to change the oil on their personal vehicle.
Personal opinion. I definitely get the intent though. I am not upset that I don't do manual labor for a living. However I enjoy doing manual labor such as home improvement projects and building guitars and such but I have never changed the oil in a car and have no desire to. Funny thing is that I am a mechanical engineer and have 0 interest in cars. I drive as little as possible, drive an old car, and have no interest in tinkering with them haha.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Personal opinion. I definitely get the intent though. I am not upset that I don't do manual labor for a living. However I enjoy doing manual labor such as home improvement projects and building guitars and such but I have never changed the oil in a car and have no desire to. Funny thing is that I am a mechanical engineer and have 0 interest in cars. I drive as little as possible, drive an old car, and have no interest in tinkering with them haha.
I don't change my oil regularly either. It's dirty and I'd rather pay someone else to do it. I still know how to do it, however.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM

4,220 posts, read 6,903,388 times
I think it just depends on interest. When it comes to anything manual labor related, I've only ever learned things I was interested in learning or felt necessary. I learned how to use a miter saw and skill saw to put up trim and install flooring etc. because it was interesting. I enjoy painting and spend a lot of time making sure it looks good. But I never had any interest in knowing how to change oil so I never took the time to learn is all. Changing oil is a fairly arbitrary thing to tie manliness to is all.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM

393 posts, read 782,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I LOVE masculine hands. I agree, though, that hands among the 20/30 set look a little feminine. I always thought they reminded me of pianist hands.

I had a cousin who always checked out a guy's hands, raving if they were large and somewhat rough.
Me too. Hands and arms are always something I've noticed. I find large hands and muscular (not meathead muscular...just strong looking) comforting. I'm sure that manual labor does play a big role in how a man's hands look, but genetics definitely do too. Naturally thin men have thin fingers. My fiancee doesn't do much manual labor, but he has big hands. He does lift weights, but even through the periods when he skips the gym a lot they don't change much. Genetics in his case I think.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
I don't think it has anything to do with but the genetic make-up of a man. I know many doctors with big manly hands, and some with delicate hands and fingers. The same goes with blue collar workers.

I am not sure there are any muscles of the hands that change the size of the hands.

Whether they keep them clean or not is a different story.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,868 times
My husband has very manly hands and I love them, as a matter a fact when he was signing some documents last year, the man on the other side of the desk, at least 5-7 years his senior, commented on his massive hands and that they looked like brick layer hands, weird, but my husband liked it and flexed his hands for the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty