Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,960,819 times

Advertisements

Ok, they are made only for women (that I've seen) but they run commercials on TV so I happen to see one. Not passing judgement on the whole idea of thin, not thin and so on, just on the marketing part of it and if it is in any way a real idea or just a way to play on women's vulnerabilities when it comes to size.

I get the part about you're more than a number because the size of the clothes you buy shouldn't really be a concern, you buy what fits but notice that you are just a number, the number on the price tag.

Are the lower end of the shaped clothes priced accordingly or are you paying lower money for those shaped sized clothes?

Just out of curiosity I checked and noticed that the brands of clothing with no number sizes all have charts so that women can look up and correlate the no number shape sizes to number sizes.

If you buy no number clothing is is advertised as being somehow less insulting for lack of a better term than number sized clothes, why?

(Yes, some clothing is sold as small, medium, large and so on but it isn't to play on some idea that the buyer is worried about buying a certain number size and often, number sizes can provide more accurate fits, not always but often.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,085,984 times
Can you post a link to whatever it is you are referring to.

I have never heard of clothing without number sizing unless it's the S, M, L type sizing, but that isn't anything new.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
The only clothing I have ever seen with no numbers is on the Special K commercials.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,430,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The "You're more than just a number" clothes idea)
Never heard of this. But really, have we really come this far to be so super obsessed and paranoid about our clothing sizes that we have to have a "movement" about not having sizes on our clothes? What a terribly sad statement about what we have become. If you are a size 14 or 22 then so what. If you dont like it do something about it fatty. Dont go for no-size clothing. Stupid. Sad. Stupid.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Never heard of this. But really, have we really come this far to be so super obsessed and paranoid about our clothing sizes that we have to have a "movement" about not having sizes on our clothes? What a terribly sad statement about what we have become. If you are a size 14 or 22 then so what. If you dont like it do something about it fatty. Dont go for no-size clothing. Stupid. Sad. Stupid.
Is it really necessary to tear others down like this?

Or is it difficult for you to make your point without the name-calling?

Obviously it's not just "so what"...guess you proved the point of the movement.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:13 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,430,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Is it really necessary to tear others down like this?

Or is it difficult for you to make your point without the name-calling?

Obviously it's not just "so what"...guess you proved the point of the movement.
Not tearing others down and not name calling. If someone is fat they know they are fat, no need to use other words because "fat", "fatty", etc. are not bad words or name calling.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Just saw this commercial on TV...OP is this what you are talking about?
They aren't real jeans...it's a marketing ploy to sell Special K as a "diet".

Personally, I'd prefer women's jeans to be sized like men's jeans. Waist size, inseam and cut. That would make buying jeans a little easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQOpjnEG4GY

Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times
This is the only commercial I've seen like that:
Special K ® More Than a Number - YouTube But that's not for actual clothes, it's for cereal.

The concept of clothes with no sizes is frustrating. I shop at the thrift store a lot, and I hate to see clothes with no size tags. I've also seen stores come up with their own size systems before...Chico's is one that has done that forever. Lane Bryant had some weird number system for their jeans which I never did figure out. I think they did away with that though. Torrid, which is another plus-size store, has sizes 1-4 but those are simple, they just left the "x" off the size, so a 1 is a 1x.

I do know some women who can't buy certain sizes even if that's what fits them. They'll have to go look for a different brand where they can fit into the size number that they want. My sister used to be really big on buying the smallest sizes she could...if she found something at the thrift store that was all stretched out and it fit and it was a size 12, she'd call me and tell me she was down to a size 12.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Not tearing others down and not name calling. If someone is fat they know they are fat, no need to use other words because "fat", "fatty", etc. are not bad words or name calling.
Yeah, it is. When you refer to someone as "fatty"...that's an insult.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Can you post a link to whatever it is you are referring to.

I have never heard of clothing without number sizing unless it's the S, M, L type sizing, but that isn't anything new.
Never heard of this either.
I don't care about the number, just consistency would be good ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty