Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

My hubby is never been a "horse person"....still his best look attending a funeral is his good gray three piece suit and grayish snakeskin cowboy boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Thanks, Kathryn, I was wondering about northern Texas fashions. I might have to spend a few months there this spring.

I think I can meet your dress code. With the exception of the lipstick - my hubby hates it. But I don't leave the house without my eyeliner and mascara.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
While Denver is one of the fittest places in the US, the people here tend to dress very casually and wear clothes that don't fit them right. There isn't anything that's distinguishing about what people in Denver wear, expect maybe that men here tend to prefer more of the 'outdoorsey' and 'rugged' look. Overall, people here are poorly dressed, but at least people here are 'fit' and athletic, so they look allright in their bad clothes.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Thanks, Kathryn, I was wondering about northern Texas fashions. I might have to spend a few months there this spring.

I think I can meet your dress code. With the exception of the lipstick - my hubby hates it. But I don't leave the house without my eyeliner and mascara.
What I sure do hope you get to come to Texas and spend some time here and that you like it!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
South. Rural south. And I think they've given up on fashion here, because people who follow it are:

Young = Under 30 or:

Older, and perceived as phony, flashy, "out-of-towner" "outsider" "frou-frou" (which is southern for air-headed bimbo) Real big on rubber boots, worn out jeans and giveaway uni-sex tshirts, plaster-sprayed 70s hairstyles. Fringed and leather jackets. I get chills on these visuals.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Boston: Women under 30 wear skinny jeans and boots. A lot of preppy styles from J.Crew and Burberry. $100 generic looking tote bags that everyone has. Tops are usually blousy and not low cut. Even in bars most women don't dress in really low cut or tiny clothing.

A lot of women don't wear make-up and wear darker colors. Pea coats are everywhere. A lot of women have highlights or some kind of unnatural hair color.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
I don't want to start thread on this because we have so many threads on this !!! But I have notice Mexicans and Cubans they seem to dress up more than Americans at least that what seems like in Los Angeles and Miami.

Most girls its tight jeans ,tight girly top

Guys its tight jeans ,ten pants , polo shirt ,stripe shirt , collar shirt ,

You almost never see Mexicans or Cubans in plain house /sleeping t-shirt , light blue jeans , Jersey shirt ,sweatpants ,trackpants , sweatsuit ,tracksuit so on.

I don't know if that just culture difference or its the city of Los Angeles and Miami that like that.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I don't get the "expensive handbag paired with dressed down, very casual clothes" look, either. I wouldn't anymore carry a Prada tote while wearing sweatpants, Nikes, and an Old Navy $5 tank top than I would carry a canvas messenger satchel covered with hippie pins and embroidered patches with a slinky cocktail dress. Or carry around an executive's leather briefcase with western ranch wear. Ditto the designer sunglasses with bed hair and yoga clothes. Accessories should generally reflect the style of the outfit.

Other than the pervasive influence of reality TV, I don't really know why people want to look like party-girl celebutantes coming off three-day benders..."Oh, I just rolled out of bed after a night of partying with Kanye, threw on my gigantic D&G shades, stuffed last night's fashion into my massive Michael Kors hobo bag, pulled on my Lululemons, and I'm good to go...coffee!!!!" The "I have to have my couture, even if it's just one piece" look just doesn't play so well when you are, say, an 24-year old elementary school teacher in suburban Milwaukee. You just look silly...or like you spend a lot of time at TJ Maxx.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm in Southeastern PA & NJ, in the Philadephia area. Seems that what I mostly see every day is athletic clothing:
--sweats, baggy or tight
--big sweatshirts/hoodies
--fleece pullovers
--yoga clothes
--tacky sweatpants with a word across the rear-end
--ostentatious sneakers
--trademarked jerseys, tshirts, baseball caps, or sweatshirts of Philly sports teams

I seems that many people even consider this proper work attire (I'm the oddball who does not).
I believe this look may be more in the North and East than the west coast or the sunbelt cities.You will hardly ever see some one wearing this in the sunbelt cities and west coast at least California ,Arizona , New Mexico and Florida ( where mostly people dress preppy) most 99% people don't wear this.

Some parts of Philadelphia have this look more than other parts of Philadelphia but nothing like some cities in Canada in the suburbs where it seems like one in five dress like this and at your local drug store , corner store and grocery store it seems one in five dress in pajama pants ,sleeping wear and lounge wear.I don't think ANY city in the US comes any where close to this .

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM

281 posts, read 643,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live in northeast Texas. Generally the style here is casual. Lots of layering for women, and from March till the end of October, sandals and cute toes are a fashion prerequisite. Also, hey, we're in Texas so we like our bling - statement necklaces or several strands of delicate, coordinating necklaces. And don't forget the bracelets! I don't recall the last time I saw a woman in a business suit - women wear cute separates a lot in the workplace.

Men dress very casually here, even in professional work environments. You will see very few suits or blazers. One Texas stereotype is very true - men often will wear boots and jeans with a nice shirt and nice belt, even in professional environments (the jeans must be starched and pressed!).

Casual dress is VERY casual, due to the weather (very mild winters and hot hot hot summers). We take every opportunity to wear cute boots and scarves (women) because it's not cold very often.

Around here, cowboy boots and jeans, for men and women, are always appropriate attire for just about any occasion - church, company picnic, shopping, funeral, you name it!

As far as makeup and hair goes, we really don't have a lot of big hair, unlike the stereotypes of Texas. I'd say we're just average about the hair thing, though I will add that I think more Texas women opt for long hair vs short hair or bobs. As for makeup - in general, Texas women WILL NOT walk out of the house without putting on mascara and lipstick or lip gloss!

And our Texas men are grateful for our attention to the small details!
Good to know! I am moving to Texas soon and will have to get out of my rut of running errands without makeup. I probably wouldn't do it there anyway, I think I'm just over my town so I don't care any more!

I have heard about how the women of Texas do get dolled up for every outing, I don't think I could go that far...but I do love the big hair, lots of accessories and cute toes when I do get dressed up though.

Reno doesn't really have a specific look that I can think of...the guys run from yuppy to hunter/outdoorsman. And the women are just as diverse...there's no specific style that I've noticed but overall I'd say casual but clean and elegant if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty