Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You know nothing about sizing or what is considered a normal weight range. I wear a size 8 and I am clearly in the middle of my normal weight range. I am not being arrogant. I am trying to let the OP know that I am average weight and weigh only a little more than she does but I am 5'10 and she is 5'2". I looked at several charts and someone who is her height and weight is listed as either obese or borderline obese.

I am sorry but I don't think 160 to 165 is thin for 5'10"....but then overweight people often have an unrealistic viewpoint of how overweight they really are. I understand this because I used to be overweight and I also thought I was "thin." Look up your ideal weight online. The charts vary some but at 165 and 5'10, you were 1 lb. away from being off the "normal weight" chart.

Lastly, don't be so nasty. I am actually trying to help the OP understand that she has an unrealistic viewpoint of what a normal weight range would be for someone her height and weight. I am not trying to be cruel or mean.
Oh, I wanted to add it is fine that you weight what you weight. But I guess my problem is dont act like your weight is the gospel or the way for someone else, now yes that burns me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You know nothing about sizing or what is considered a normal weight range. I wear a size 8 and I am clearly in the middle of my normal weight range. I am not being arrogant. I am trying to let the OP know that I am average weight and weigh only a little more than she does but I am 5'10 and she is 5'2". I looked at several charts and someone who is her height and weight is listed as either obese or borderline obese.

I am sorry but I don't think 160 to 165 is thin for 5'10"....but then overweight people often have an unrealistic viewpoint of how overweight they really are. I understand this because I used to be overweight and I also thought I was "thin." Look up your ideal weight online. The charts vary some but at 165 and 5'10, you were 1 lb. away from being off the "normal weight" chart.

Lastly, don't be so nasty. I am actually trying to help the OP understand that she has an unrealistic viewpoint of what a normal weight range would be for someone her height and weight. I am not trying to be cruel or mean.
I know a lot about sizing if I was 140 I would be around a size 2/4 depending on clothing. I guess this show that every one is different.

and to the OP just get to a size and body type that feels good for you. If you listen to all these numbers you would be messed up in the head.

You do not feel good lose weight and tone up until you feel good. Go by that measure and not some stupid BMI chart or arrogant poster on this board.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Jade - most of the normal weight range charts have a fairly wide range - so they take into account body type...so when someone is on the very last pound of a normal chart, well, to me that is not "thin." The OP is, according to one chart, at the end of a normal range, other charts say that she is clearly obese. Only her doctor can determine whether she is overweight or not.

One thing is clear - the OP is not happy about how she looks - probably because she is overweight.
The chart just takes into account the different body types 160 on someone 5'10 is thin for athletic build. The lowest I ever weighted was 155 and people were like do not lose a another lb.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Oh, I wanted to add it is fine that you weight what you weight. But I guess my problem is dont act like your weight is the gospel or the way for someone else, now yes that burns me up!
You like to be upset. You don't understand my post. Perhaps you could calm down, put your brain in gear and reread my post...or just continue to be upset over nothing. I do love the "ignore" feature...you are now on mine.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-06-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM

29 posts, read 58,728 times
Most important is how you feel. Since you say you 'feel fat', do something to change it. You mentioned that you 'maintain that weight' try changing that. Since your bmi is at the highest end of 'normal weight' how about working on getting in better shape? Put in some muscle building exercises? Cut some calories. There is no way to maintain that weight on 1400 calories a day if you are truly running an hour a day. If so, you are truly stuck and need to change up your workout, bike, walk, use an elliptical. If you really want to burn those extra pounds though, you really need to work on building muscle which will help burn that fat even more quickly. You sound like you are ready to change it since you aren't happy with how you feel, so do it while you are motivated.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I am 5' 7" and weigh 125. I am not too thin, but, appear to be just right for my height. People see to work hard to have their own weight be what it is supposed to be, ignoring, that many charts show weights that are much too much for some to weigh. Sometimes, looking in the mirrow shows fat. I am NOT saying a woman needs to look like a skin and bones model. A person can deny being fat, but, those who see then know the truth.
On the other side of the equation. Gabi Reece, at the height of her volleyball and modeling career was 6'0 and 180. I doubt anyone would say she needed to lose weight. Considering the size of models in the 90s, I'd guess she was about a size 4 maybe a 6 in those size charts.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
She is also an athlete (jogs an hour a day).

There is a good chance that your appear to be 120lbs but weigh in at 135-140 because your lower body has a lot of muscle mass. If you have muscle, you can't go by BMI charts.

Feel your legs. Are they hard? There is a good chance you are just muscular/curvy.

Before I started jogging and strength training my measurements were 34b-28-36 121lbs

Now I jog a lot and work my lower body pretty hard. I'm 32d-28-40 140lbs. When I wearing clothes, you can't tell that my body has changed so much, I can still fit into most of my old clothes. I think age and working out actually made me curvier.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM

571 posts, read 1,201,074 times
^^^It's amazing how weight looks so different on all types.

To the OP: if you feel you are doing everything you can but still are not happy with your weight, then you'll have to do something different. Perhaps eliminate different things from your diet. Eat at different times. Split your workouts in two (a 30 minute power walk in the a.m. and a 30 minute walk in the evening). Add some weights or use elastic bands for strength.

My personal experience: I weighed about 10 more pounds in college than I do now. I genuinely didn't think I ate a lot. I'm also petite (5'2"). I just gradually cut out certain foods and increased fruit, water. I never felt deprived, nor did I walk around feeling "hungry". I dropped a couple of pounds, kept them off for a couple of weeks, then pushed for a couple more. I also started mixing weights (I was big into cardio - specifically jogging, but for some odd reason, I resisted doing weights). I didn't even really keep track how the rest came off, I just remember it was gradual and I changed my eating habits.

Separately, only you know how your body distributes its weight. Do you have a lot of muscle? I know at 5'2", a lot of people think I weigh 100 lbs, but I weigh 110. I work out, but I'm not super muscular.

Of course, knowing how to dress is really going to help customize the look you want.

Posters on here are right. Work on the shape you want, but ultimately, be grateful for your health.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Love the body you were given and make the very best of it. Don't look up to super models. Look up to YOU and people with your figure. There are plenty. And plenty of guys prefer petite to gangly.

You do need to loose at least 15 lbs. You will look and feel better. Wear heals all the time. grow long hair, learn to love one sport or exercise.Try hot yoga and walking with weights. To help you out get a mini lipo suction of your hips and waist. Not as expensive as you think. Well worth it when you are vertically challenged. Gives you less places to put it.

In winter here is how you dress. Black short skirts above the knee, matching tights and heels at least three inches high. Have that same outfit in black, brown, and dark blue, with coordinating tops. Dresses. Look at Modcloth.com. Go a little funky - but not too much.

You aren't sloppy fat - but lose and don't gain. Call attention to your hair eyes and cheek bones. One out of two is good.

Jeans are not as special on smaller girls. Skirts are your friend. Let MAC do your make up. What ois your coloring and heritage? Nothing I wrote will work in Miami.
You tell her to love the body she has and learn to love it, then you advise lipo, losing 15 pounds, getting a MAC makeover, and growing her hair longer. Also, heels are terrible for your feet and no one should wear them all the time. Years of that and you'll be sorry.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Love the body you were given and make the very best of it. Don't look up to super models. Look up to YOU and people with your figure. There are plenty. And plenty of guys prefer petite to gangly.

You do need to loose at least 15 lbs. You will look and feel better. Wear heals all the time. grow long hair, learn to love one sport or exercise.Try hot yoga and walking with weights. To help you out get a mini lipo suction of your hips and waist. Not as expensive as you think. Well worth it when you are vertically challenged. Gives you less places to put it.

In winter here is how you dress. Black short skirts above the knee, matching tights and heels at least three inches high. Have that same outfit in black, brown, and dark blue, with coordinating tops. Dresses. Look at Modcloth.com. Go a little funky - but not too much.

You aren't sloppy fat - but lose and don't gain. Call attention to your hair eyes and cheek bones. One out of two is good.

Jeans are not as special on smaller girls. Skirts are your friend. Let MAC do your make up. What ois your coloring and heritage? Nothing I wrote will work in Miami.

what does Miami have to do with anything? Also, is this the same sheena who is always bantering on about the importance of liberal arts education in the university forum? I never saw you as they type to recommend lipo and wearing heels everyday in winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty