Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times

Advertisements

I think it's all good as long as it doesn't look like you are "trying", trying to be younger, trying to be richer, trying to be something your not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM

260 posts, read 337,597 times
I am not a fan of paying a ton of money for something and being free advertising for a company at the same time so I won't wear anything with obvious logos. I am almost 50 and wear Juicy sweats - the ones without the bling and the logos plastered all over. They are comfortable and appropriate for the job I have.

I have a decent shape and like to look contemporary but not flashy so I want to wear what's comfortable and looks good on me. I also have long hair because that too looks good on me. I think it's all about what looks good on someone and not about age itself. There are plenty of out-of-shape 20-year olds wearing things that look ridiculous that an in-shape 40+ year old would look good wearing.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
This thread is reminding me of this hilarious song!

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - THRIFT SHOP FEAT. WANZ (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

Definitely listen to the lyrics. Hilarious.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 PM

188 posts, read 406,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I thought certain clothing brands were aimed at teens and tweens, but the more I look around the more I see adults wearing these clothes. I've seen people in their 30’s and 40’s maybe even older wearing Hollister, PINK, Aeropostale, Juicy Couture, and Abercrombie & Fitch among others. I see adult men wearing mainly the Tees. When it comes to adult women I see a mix of everything from Hollister shirts to PINK pants and every teen brand in between. All of the items on these adults are generally the logo tees, bottoms, bags and so forth. Should these brands be wore only by the teens or is a tee shirt and pair of pants simply that, just a tee and pants that can be worn by anyone no matter what the age? What do you think?

I think anyone who can afford to buy something should wear what they want. However, it is clear who these brands are marketing to. Im in my late 20's and made the decision to stop wearing certain brands for a couple of reasons a few years ago, specially Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister. I will occasionally end up in A&E, but I will buy things that don't have huge logos. I love Victoria Secret PINK though! But, I will only wear it if I'm working out, or in a recreational setting with my students or campers. Honestly, it works out for the best because your style evolves as you get older. I find when people are younger they rely on brands, and designers, and don't know how to shop if there isn't a huge logo or name sprawled across their chest or butt. I have always love the Gap, which is universal. In addition, I love, the Levi's store, Zara, Bebe (for partying) and my go to is this one particular boutique in Soho call Necessary (lower manhattan nyc) For work clothes I shop at Banana Republic, and Express. There are so many other stores that match my style but not always my budget lol!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 AM

19 posts, read 48,322 times
I agree that anyone of any age always wear an item of clothing,but there are some exceptions, people just wear the clothing which is suit for himself,it is OK.And the older can wear the clothing of young people,it will look be bright.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,007 times
I can see both sides of the arguement. On one hand, someone in their 40's going around covered in Billabong and A&F and Juicy across their butt, I'm sorry that does seem a bit ridiculous and they are trying to be something they aren't. Seems a little inapproprate for the age, and that they are trying too hard. Who wants to be a walking billboard for those companies anyway?

BUT

If you have a few pieces from a collections like that, they look nice and fit properly, who cares? I see a lot of posts that I agree with. Some people mentioned it's harder to find things from "mature" companies that aren't shapeless or boring. Some people prefer the bolder colors or fits of a younger company. Some mentioned who gets to decide the cut-off age? And who wants to start dressing in more boring colors and fabrics just because they turn 30, or 40, or 50? And if they are wearing maybe a Roxy hoodie with other pieces that aren't screaming other brand names, then maybe it will look nice. If it's done subtly, sure. I agree with all those posts.

Now, if you are wearing a skin tight Juicy pant with Hot B**** across your butt that's 2 sizes too small when you are 50, now that probably isn't good. But if you have a nice pair of properly fitting jeans with a nice blouse and you want to put on a jacket that is say, from Hollister and it fits and it matches, then what's the problem? I think if it balances the look, that's great.

I am in my 30's. I have a pair of Pink sweats from VS, But I never wear outside of the home. I have a Roxy shirt or 2, but they fit nice, the logo & colors are subtle but the pieces I wear with it aren't "teen" brands. I like the fit and feel of Roxy shirts, and they hold up better IMO.

I also think it helps if it's not flashy or in your face, or the brand isn't obvious at a distance.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
[/b]

I think anyone who can afford to buy something should wear what they want. However, it is clear who these brands are marketing to. Im in my late 20's and made the decision to stop wearing certain brands for a couple of reasons a few years ago, specially Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister. I will occasionally end up in A&E, but I will buy things that don't have huge logos. I love Victoria Secret PINK though! But, I will only wear it if I'm working out, or in a recreational setting with my students or campers. Honestly, it works out for the best because your style evolves as you get older. I find when people are younger they rely on brands, and designers, and don't know how to shop if there isn't a huge logo or name sprawled across their chest or butt. I have always love the Gap, which is universal. In addition, I love, the Levi's store, Zara, Bebe (for partying) and my go to is this one particular boutique in Soho call Necessary (lower manhattan nyc) For work clothes I shop at Banana Republic, and Express. There are so many other stores that match my style but not always my budget lol!
I do agree with this. When I was in my early 20's, it was all about wearing Tommy and A&F and having it across your body to prove you were cool or whatever. I sure don't buy into that anymore, and I don't feel like supporting those brands anymore either. To me they seem a bit conformist anymore, and I'd rather buy something that you don't see on other's body's so often. I try to find something more original and not in every mall across the country, or being worn by every teen. I dunno, at my age I find it a little embarrassing if I were to go out and look like all the teens are that out and about. I spend time with my family and I do not want to show up to their house in the same clothes that my neice or nephews are wearing! That would be the worst!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:45 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
It's not the brand, it's the ITEM in the brand that's purchased or worn. Juicy makes jogging and yoga outfits -- and so does some other brand aimed at older consumers. So someone whose 40 shouldn't buy a Juicy jogging or yoga outfit?

How does whether a customer makes an appropriate choice get confused with whether the BRAND should be off limits? Two totally separate issues.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,521 times
I stopped shopping at A&F in my early 20's (not that I shopped there much)..now at age 31 I hit up Express, Banana Republic, Gap, Macy's, Dillards..mainly express though for their long sleeve shirts and Tees.

I've stopped by A&F/Hollister/American Eagle though lately and I could see what some older posters (older than 25) are saying about picking some clothes from there and mixing and matching their outfits and I don't find it weird at all.. What would be weird is buying clothes with a HUGE ass logo of the brand name and stuff like that though lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty