Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Yes! For me a perfect wardrobe is a summer wardrobe- sundresses, lots of white, capri sandals, espadrilles. I think I was made to live in a Southern European beach town. The reality is that I live in NYC and my ideal wardrobe is something that I can wear for maybe three months out of the year.
Let's trade! No beach here though but hot enough for all that! And closer to nine months out of the year... especially if you are someone who is used to cold. I go to a large state university with a river nearby. Now, I was raised in Texas and yesterday I was wearing a long skirt, boots, short sleeved top with a lightweight knit jacket.. it was breezy and cool. I always bring a jacket for the windy weather but also like to wear short sleeves since some of the classrooms are hot (they turn the heat on if it is below 75 here). I drove by the river though and there were a ton of students swimming (!!) and hanging out in bikinis and shorts! Brrrr! I always figure they must be from somewhere besides Texas.

I have four pairs of boots -- two black, in 2 different styles, and 2 brown in differing shades of brown. Plus cowboy boots (black with white). Four of them have hardly been worn at all.

I also have a lightweight trench coat / rain coat, a medium weight velvet long coat, a heavy wool blend coat, and a thick sweater jacket (cable knit, Land's End with a hood)... the sweater thing is what I wear 90% of the time. Coats last decades here if you don't gain or lose weight!

I also admit that I hate summer wear because I hate having to shave my legs. Yeah, I said it. Winter means you can slide on that if you feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
id see people bundled up in coats when it was around 65 degrees, I thought they were crazy...

That remark had me laughing.

When I was in school in New England, people would start wearing shorts when was 50-55 degrees. The winters were sooooo cold, that it felt like spring when the temperatures hit 45. 65 degrees was considered warm; by that time it everyone was wearing summer clothes.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
To some degree, yes, climate dictates your wardrobe, with exceptions.

My work wardrobe is about 75% all-season clothes, with 25% worn only in summer or winter.

You will always see women wearing sleeveless cocktail dresses no matter what the season. There are some guys who always wear shorts (in freezing weather). There are men who wear suits and ties no matter how hot it is.

I do think it's funny that some women on TV news shows dress like it is 80 degrees out, when you know it's subfreezing where they're broadcasting from. And snowing. I just wish they'd put on a sweater or wear some sleeves!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Living in Alaska definitely means I have a different wardrobe than if I lived in warmer climes. Winter here can vary anywhere between mid 30s to -30s F, the 60 difference degrees means I either wear shoes or tennis shoes or winter fur lined boots and the same with outerwear. However we do still see younger folks wearing flipflops and shorts which always amazes me.
Summer temps here are usually around 60F, after spending winter in the freezer we wear t-shirts and sandals.
The big change comes when we travel, I am currently planning for a week in Rome where the daily temp is in the high 50's which for us will mean lighter clothes while I'm sure the locals will still be wrapped up for winter.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Yup we never get cold. If we do its for maybe a week or so a year and that's usually in the 60's at most . My daughter doesn't currently own any pants and myself 1 pair. I don't currently own any sneakers only flip flops or sandals and 3/4th of my wardrobe is tank tops or sun dresses , as is my daughters. In the summer she usually just runs around in a bathing suit and ill throw on a summer dress over it of we need to run out.

For us 72 ish or below is chill I might bring a sweater with me I case I have be in the shade. My house hit 73 yesterday and i kicked on the heat to get it back up to 78, ,myself and my daughters hands and feet where frozen.
Then again we withstand temps of triple digits with 100% humidity for months on end which some thing is unbearable so I can't be laughed at for being cold in the 70's

Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
My husband is in CA right now and commented on everyone wearing their coats there, while he's walking around in a short-sleeved polo. It was 65 degrees. A couple days ago though, he was in NM and wearing his soft shell jacket and a sweater. Before that, he was bundled up and looking at snow in TX. It's hard to pack for him because he lives out of his truck and motel rooms when he's on the road, sometimes flying to where he needs to be, so he can't carry a lot. But he covers a lot of miles and temperature variations. He'll be flying out of CA this week, arrive in NH and step out into 20* weather. I've bought him some "packable" jackets and hi-tech layering things that mountain climbers use because they don't take up much room.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Let's trade! No beach here though but hot enough for all that! And closer to nine months out of the year... especially if you are someone who is used to cold. I go to a large state university with a river nearby. Now, I was raised in Texas and yesterday I was wearing a long skirt, boots, short sleeved top with a lightweight knit jacket.. it was breezy and cool. I always bring a jacket for the windy weather but also like to wear short sleeves since some of the classrooms are hot (they turn the heat on if it is below 75 here). I drove by the river though and there were a ton of students swimming (!!) and hanging out in bikinis and shorts! Brrrr! I always figure they must be from somewhere besides Texas.

I have four pairs of boots -- two black, in 2 different styles, and 2 brown in differing shades of brown. Plus cowboy boots (black with white). Four of them have hardly been worn at all.

I also have a lightweight trench coat / rain coat, a medium weight velvet long coat, a heavy wool blend coat, and a thick sweater jacket (cable knit, Land's End with a hood)... the sweater thing is what I wear 90% of the time. Coats last decades here if you don't gain or lose weight!

I also admit that I hate summer wear because I hate having to shave my legs. Yeah, I said it. Winter means you can slide on that if you feel like it.
I would trade with you in a heartbeat! In fact, after I finish graduate school I plan to call Texas home.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I forgot to mention in my first post, When I was staying in Pasadena, CA I was walking around in a t shirt enjoying every bit of it, except sometimes at the beach it cold a bit windy and cold..

But id see people bundled up in coats when it was around 65 degrees, I thought they were crazy...
That would be me. Anything below 70 degrees is cold but I prefer a constant temp between 80 and 85. I also love humidity (except what it does to my hair). It's like the air is hugging you

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I live in Denver, so I have to have everything lol! Summer is hot, so at home, that means shorts/flip flops, tank tops and t-shirts. For work in Summer, I stick to short sleeved polos. Very boring, but I don't wear short sleeved dress shirts. (too dorky!). For Winter, it's typically sweaters and jeans for work, unless the high is going to be in the 50s or above, then I'll wear a polo shirt. I also need coats, from a heavy parka to fleece jacket to rain jacket to hoodie. The weather here changes a lot and I go back and forth with the coats/jackets from Oct to May. I guess on the bright side, you get to wear all kinds of clothes here. When I lived in LA for 10 years, it never really got cool enough to wear a sweater, which I kind of missed.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I would trade with you in a heartbeat! In fact, after I finish graduate school I plan to call Texas home.
Ha! How funny, because as soon as I finish school, we are OUT of Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty