Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I fell in love with L'occitane Almond milk cream -- and the scent lasts all day for me. I shower and apply in the AM and at night I can still smell it on my skin.

And it's not a powerful smack in the face.

And when I wear perfume I pump two or three spritzes in the air at neck level in front of me and walk through.... that way I don't get overwhelmed by scent. BUT -- with your sensitivities I don't know how spraying something into the air will affect you.

I use with no problem Origins Ginger Essence (the regular one not the intense one) and Estee Lauder's Sensuous.
That sounds like it might work. I use a Burt's Bees hand cream that is Almond Milk and it smells nice, very pleasant, plus I have used L'occitane products in the past with no problem (lotions and so forth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I don't know when this happened but it seems like most fragrances give me a headache. I think I am just chemically sensitive overall.

When I was younger (teen years) my mother's cologne bothered me when she first sprayed it. It didn't bother me later on when I hugged her or anything. A friend of mine always smells nice but it's subtle, no headache.

I am also sensitive to other "smells", like if someone sprays bug spray it really bothers me, especially that nasty kind that has some floral aroma added in an attempt to cover up the pesticide smell. Ugh. We don't use any spray stuff like that if we have an issue, instead we use ant baits or whatever because I can't handle it.

Hair spray smells bother me too, and I have a shampoo that I loved that I had to quit using because it was SO strong/perfumey. So, people in my household can wear perfume/cologne if they apply it far away from me and stay away for a bit.

Anyway, lighter and natural scents are not a problem. I use lavender essential oil for various things and love the smell, same with other essential oils.

Some natural scents bother me too though; magnolia for one, has a very heavy scent. Roses are another. I mean directly smelling the flower itself. Oh, and incense! Absolutely forbidden in my house. It's not that I don't LIKE these scents, it's just that I get a headache within 10 minutes.

In spite of all this I'd like to have a fragrance to wear that is not bothersome. I purchased a "fragrance blend" of all natural components (a roll on oil) and it is nice but it lasts like ten minutes. When I was in my late teens and 20's I used to wear this perfume... Paris by Yves Saint Laurent. It was pricey and I would get a bottle for Christmas and make it last and last, but it did not bother me at all. I wonder what changed? Now, I steer very far from the "perfume ladies" and that whole section of department stores because even the high dollar stuff doesn't seem to agree with me, but maybe that's just too much going on at one time.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Try Creed, it's made of very high quality natural ingredients. I think they sell at Saks or Neiman Marcus.

CREED Perfume - Official US website

Most perfumes these days contain too many chemicals and alcohol instead of natural ingredients and oil.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
I have been battling this for years. Can't use any scented products from perfume to soap to laundry to deodorants. I finally researched and found how to make my own perfume. Google it. I used Everclear liquor and soaked tuborose blossoms. It's wonderful.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,538 times
Quote:

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Yeah. I have a suggestion - go to your nearest Macys or Nordstrom and spend some time at the fragrance counter and find out what works for YOU. Dont ask strangers online because scents are personal, what some LOVE others may HATE. Since you plan on buying anyway, just go to the counter and Im sure whoever is working there would be more than happy to assist you in finding the scent that is right for YOU.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Yeah. I have a suggestion - go to your nearest Macys or Nordstrom and spend some time at the fragrance counter and find out what works for YOU. Dont ask strangers online because scents are personal, what some LOVE others may HATE. Since you plan on buying anyway, just go to the counter and Im sure whoever is working there would be more than happy to assist you in finding the scent that is right for YOU.
Thanks. I still think it is helpful to read what other people have knowledge of as being more natural, non-offensive, mild, etc. It's a good starting point.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Thanks. I still think it is helpful to read what other people have knowledge of as being more natural, non-offensive, mild, etc. It's a good starting point.

If you have allergies. I suggest only sampling 1 scent at a time and waiting.
You know your own reaction time but the rule of thumb is always wait at least 24-48 hours with any product applied directly to the skin.

Usually allergic reactions start within 15 minutes or so though for most. Especially when it comes to what you breathe in. I am sensitive to a lot of fragrances. I love that clinique happy but sometimes it bothers me. That is the most annoying thing when you have days where you can't get away with it, but the days before you could! LOL

Probably due to layered allergens. Seems to be anyway.

I like buying samples on ebay or getting samples in the store. Don't trust the paper samples. I don't know why, but I have been fine with the scented paper but not with the actual product. Roller or spray so..I don't know whats going on there...but thats my story with those. LOL

Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
One of my kids worked there and they don't know anything about perfume allergies. You would think they would but they don't. They had one fragrance that was for "sensitive" skin but not really for allergies. That was 2, 3 years ago. If anyone else works there and knows better I'd like to hear from them. I think this is the perfect place to ask such questions, a broad sampling of people from all over instead of fragrance salespeople that get commissions on what they sell.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
It's all the chemicals used in fragrances that is the culprit. If one can fine a perfume that is made from natural oils (and no chemicals) it may be tolerable.

Here is one of many articles:
Does Your Perfume Include Toxic Chemicals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty