Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that shops here?

Every now and then I'll swing by the local goodwill to browse through the racks of bargain priced graphic tees. It's a good way to get my shopping fix without having to actually spend much. Here's what I picked up today.

how could I possibly pass this one up?

I love picking up the random t-shirt from a high school I've never attended. I usually know a little something about the town/am able to find it on a map if I'm ever caught wearing it by someone who attended the same school. My grandma happens to live 15 miles away from Fredericksburg. I know the area quite well. Amazing Texas peach and wine country.

The Buc-ee's beaver has quite the following around here. I really do love those stores. I've got several other of their t-shirts. One more wouldn't hurt.

And lastly, a nice short sleeve pearl snap shirt. I'll probably rock it at LJT music fest come April.

I was out the door for $20.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 02-14-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
I don't have the patience for goodwill. I'm picky about fit and fabric and I'm not the easiest fit. Plus, it's not the highest quality stuff to begin with and after a few wears and washes, the clothes tend to look a bit ratty. The first shirt's funny, though.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM

271 posts, read 600,614 times
I haven't been there yet but a store just opened near me, it's set up like a department store. Neat, clean and organized so I have heard. I am going to check it out this weekend.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Lol Very nice Phil.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't have the patience for goodwill. I'm picky about fit and fabric and I'm not the easiest fit. Plus, it's not the highest quality stuff to begin with and after a few wears and washes, the clothes tend to look a bit ratty. The first shirt's funny, though.
They're t-shirts that cost $2 (they are what they are). I'm sure you could find something to appreciate. I wouldn't go buying my denim, slacks, dress shirts, shoes, or socks and underwear there (yes, they have used underwear on their racks lol). They'll probably only get worn once every couple of months. But then again, I'm just a guy that isn't overly concerned about making a fashion statement everyday.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 02-14-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
We poke through Goodwill; I've gotten some great clothes there! Got a leather jacket for myself - about $2. PennState hoodie for DH, and also a 3/4 length wool coat for him, maybe $5 total? For my sister, I found a Jones New York blouse (looked completely unworn), and a gold Loft sweater. Those cost maybe $1.50 together.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
They're t-shirts. I wouldn't go buying my denim, slacks, dress shirts, shoes, or socks and underwear there (yes, they have used underwear on their racks lol). And they'll probably only get worn once every couple of months. But then again, I'm just a guy that isn't over concerned about the making a fashion statement everyday.
Well, men's clothing in general is easier because the fit isn't expected to be as tailored. I don't wear t shirts except to sleep. I don't even like working out in baggy clothes, I find it bothersome, and college has provided me with more than enough t shirts to last me a lifetime. Heck, my favorite sleep shirts are XL shirts I've been wearing since preschool.

And, thus, I don't bother much with goodwill. I've bought some jeans secondhand from Plato's Closet, though. I go right for the designer jeans because they tend to come in longer inseams and are generally reasonably priced.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM

271 posts, read 600,614 times
This is funny, there is another store called Unique a couple towns away. My husband has bought jeans there before. I just don't have the patience to look through all that stuff. But last time we went they had a used jock strap, and yes it had stains. I kid you not. Who would buy that, or even touch it for that matter?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post
This is funny, there is another store called Unique a couple towns away. My husband has bought jeans there before. I just don't have the patience to look through all that stuff. But last time we went they had a used jock strap, and yes it had stains. I kid you not. Who would buy that, or even touch it for that matter?
hahaha

Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I don't shop at Goodwill because this kind of place gets overwhelming pretty quickly, but I give them a lot of stuff and it's not "trash", some things I have never or hardly ever worn and I know people who do the same thing, so I guess not everything is yucky in those stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty