Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 AM

129 posts, read 336,298 times

Advertisements

Is this a joke that I'm not getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Not sure what the question is.

My Husband wears those ( in fact I think he has this exact same collared long sleeve Polo shirt) , and I am pretty sure he is straight. Is there something abnormal about this look I am unaware of ? Something grotesque or really off the wall ? Is wearing a cashmere sweater and collared polo shirt/shirt a sign of fashion degeneracy or perversion?!?!

Because if it is I'm afraid many Professionals in Britain will now be wondering what to wear when they are out of the office....

What should he be wearing ? Hooded Sweatshirt ? Shapeless T-Shirt, Wife-Beater ? Something black with the name of a heavy metal band on it ?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Do you mean the comb over? Or the preppy sweater?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
Luckily, thanks in part to my age, fashion isn't critical for me. Goodwill has all I need for my wardrobe. Other than the bald spot, which looks like the top of my head, I'd say the fella looks pretty good. It does look like he's getting ready to give someone a piece of his mind, though.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Not sure what the question is.

My Husband wears those ( in fact I think he has this exact same collared long sleeve Polo shirt) , and I am pretty sure he is straight. Is there something abnormal about this look I am unaware of ? Something grotesque or really off the wall ? Is wearing a cashmere sweater and collared polo shirt/shirt a sign of fashion degeneracy or perversion?!?!

Because if it is I'm afraid many Professionals in Britain will now be wondering what to wear when they are out of the office....

What should he be wearing ? Hooded Sweatshirt ? Shapeless T-Shirt, Wife-Beater ? Something black with the name of a heavy metal band on it ?
You're British so, calm down.

Everybody knows Brits and Europeans have a bit more of a flair for fashion than typical American men.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post

Everybody knows Brits and Europeans have a bit more of a flair for fashion than typical American men.
Actually I am French. Hubby is British. And believe me we do have plenty of slobs and sartorially challenged people ( male and female) on this side of the Pond too.... And there is no monopoly on flair for fashion in my opinion. Anyone can be well dressed.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post

If that's what you call a flair, well, I hate to inform you but I think you may be boring. The prince is wearing a very standard, noncontroversial gray sweater and collared shirt.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Nothing to pull off. Classic style that has been around for as long as I can remember.

The hair is a disaster though. Forget about the balding part; he just needs a haircut, period. It looks ratty.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Do you mean the comb over? Or the preppy sweater?
LOL. Thats what I was thinking.

The sweater with collared **** inside is just plain ordinary wear. No real "look" to it.

OP, what exactly are you talking about?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
You guys need to realize the OP is here in Portland. We're the next metropolis North of San Francisco, where it's legal to run around naked. The metropolis north of us is Seattle. Watch some 'Portlandia' clips on YouTube, if you don't understand. I never noticed NECK BEARDS here in Portland until someone pointed them out. That's because I was busy looking at all the other stuff. Only in Portland would Prince William's outfit be considered a 'look'.

It seems he's wearing a thin cashmere or silk/cashmere sweatshirt or sweater, and a 'dress shirt'. As far as I know, those, and combinations/variants of those, have been standard garb for drab heterosexual men since before any of us were born.

We here in the Western World read outfits like that one as being 'Standard Dad Clothes'. Maybe not in Portland, though...

Maybe you're asking if this is how to dress if you want to reassure everybody you're hetero? If so, then yes! It looks totally 'normal' and heterosexual. Unfortunately, it's also very unflattering. But if the woman in your life is attached to you for reasons which do not include physical attractiveness, and if you don't need to be attractive for business reasons, then there's nothing wrong with looking like that.

Poor Prince Whatever is The Ugly One. He obviously needs to lose the sideburns, since they make his face look narrow. And the sweater is not bulky enough. It makes his shoulders look narrow. The grey color contributes to the narrowing effect. And the shirt is way too dressy to be worn with a sweater. Obviously, a heavy texture or a plaid would be better. But as it stands, the look just says 'dorky and unconcerned with personal appearance'.

And 'Fairfax Mom'... What comb-over? I don't see one. I see a man who needs one. If his hair were five times as long as it is now, he wouldn't look bald. All the gorgeous ex-jocks you see as commentators on the sports shows have comb-overs. They look fantastic. But apparently, Prince What's-his-name is neither a vain person nor a professional beauty like those aging jocks (whose sports careers were often secretly advanced because they were such camera candy).

Prince William is a genuine, dutiful, and responsible person, and I think his unstudied appearance tells us that he would score very low on tests for both Narcissism and Machiavellianism.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-25-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty