Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
Personally I've never liked short shorts because I don't feel comfortable wearing them. However, I don't really care if other women love wearing them. If they're 50 and they have the body for it, then why not? If you don't like it, don't look. It's her business, not yours.

"Having the body for it" is not the criterion. There's something called the "ick factor," and it has to do with women exposing too much thigh after a certain age. Professional skaters know about the ick factor because they all adopt the habit of wearing those longer, flowy, handkerchief-hemmed skating outfits, usually in their 30s. That's because they have class. On the other hand, Madonna, for example, continues to strut across the stage with biotchy aplomb, wearing thigh-high panties, displaying the "ick factor" in all its glory. That's because she doesn't have class.

Consider Joan Crawford:

...the Ick Factor; you know it when you see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think the general consensus is that older women shouldn't wear them because they're no longer 'sex objects' or 'sexy' enough.
That REALLY depends on the older woman! Those who still look like college students can wear anything they want. What's weird is older women who look their age wearing HS or college student styles. The big thing in parts of Europe now is shorts so short they look like underwear, with a long baby-doll-style blouse over them. I saw a 50-something German tourist in my town wearing that. (Popularized in "Gangnam Style" videos.) It's a fashion intended, obviously, for girls and young women, not for people with greying hair. Oh well.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Personally I've never liked short shorts because I don't feel comfortable wearing them. However, I don't really care if other women love wearing them. If they're 50 and they have the body for it, then why not? If you don't like it, don't look. It's her business, not yours.

"Having the body for it" is not the criterion. There's something called the "ick factor," and it has to do with women exposing too much thigh after a certain age. Professional skaters know about the ick factor because they all adopt the habit of wearing those longer, flowy, handkerchief-hemmed skating outfits, usually in their 30s. That's because they have class. On the other hand, Madonna, for example, continues to strut across the stage with biotchy aplomb, wearing thigh-high panties, displaying the "ick factor" in all its glory. That's because she doesn't have class.

Consider Joan Crawford:

...the Ick Factor; you know it when you see it.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,031 times
Quote:
........... they have the body for it, then why not? If you don't like it, don't look. It's her business, not yours.
Agree with this part. Think I need to copy and paste, or refer the folks who were complaining about the gal with the see through yoga pants at the gym. Your response is perfect for that thread.

But, I must disagree with anyone being able to wear whatever they want. Sure, I can turn my head and look away, but the image would still be burned into my retinas. With that being said, I think a woman can wear short shorts at any age as long as her varicose veins don't look like Google maps of roads, or map of rivers and streams. She should wear them if she looks like she's had cottage cheese, oatmeal or marbles implanted underneath her skin either.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
When their boobs go to a 44 long.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
I'm 50... I'll wear em around the house but not in public, never have I'm pretty modest...

Old 04-27-2014, 03:22 PM

255 posts, read 407,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Agree with this part. Think I need to copy and paste, or refer the folks who were complaining about the gal with the see through yoga pants at the gym. Your response is perfect for that thread.

But, I must disagree with anyone being able to wear whatever they want. Sure, I can turn my head and look away, but the image would still be burned into my retinas. With that being said, I think a woman can wear short shorts at any age as long as her varicose veins don't look like Google maps of roads, or map of rivers and streams. She should wear them if she looks like she's had cottage cheese, oatmeal or marbles implanted underneath her skin either.
And that's definitely your opinion. I've seen clothes on people that I didn't think looked right, but I just don't feel it's my right to tell them what to wear or what not to wear. I don't like the PJs look in the grocery store, but I guess if they're comfortable with it then that is their business. I don't have to look if I don't like it. Also, a lot of people who expose their body usually don't care what other people think anyway. Years ago, my old neighbour used to go outside in a nightgown and nothing underneath to hang laundry and she was overweight. It bothered the hell out of my mother since my sister and I were just kids at the time, and she also didn't want to see it. Didn't matter how many times my mother told her not to do it, she did it anyway.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I'm 50... I'll wear em around the house but not in public, never have I'm pretty modest...
You proved Squats and healthy eating can do wonders to a woman's legs, regardless of her age . Nice Work .

Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
You proved Squats and healthy eating can do wonders to a woman's legs, regardless of her age . Nice Work .

Thank you~~

Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
When gravity takes command.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty