Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
surely treating kids as young as young adults is wrong, I remember dressing up in high heels when playing with friends when young but not being taken by my mum to buy a pair.... I just dont get it at all..kids are growing up far too fast, and the shops arent much better with bra s for 7 year olds.
Girls painting their nails is nothing new.

To the extent I have a problem with going to salons on a regular basis etc., it is more about the message that one must do those things to be attractive, and that one must spend a lot of money to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
surely treating kids as young as young adults is wrong, I remember dressing up in high heels when playing with friends when young but not being taken by my mum to buy a pair.... I just dont get it at all..kids are growing up far too fast, and the shops arent much better with bra s for 7 year olds.
I see kids around 10 wearing heels and I am not really in agreement with it.... 14-15 maybe? Low heels... I don't know, I think I am a little old fashioned.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
My daughter will be 5 in a couple of weeks and has had quite a few salon visits with mommy for manis and pedis. Besides, a LOT of spas have Princess Parties where you can have birthday parties for girls at the spa. It includes facials, manis, pedis, etc. you know, all things girls/princesses love. They just use organic/safe whatever it is on their nails. No chemicals are used.

Its no big deal.

If they are using nail polish or nail polish remover, yeah, those are chemicals. If you've ever been in a nail salon, all you have to do is take a deep breath to realize there are chemicals in significant amounts being used.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Passing the billion and one nail joints around town, and seeing the same thing as the OP, made me wonder about the actual chemistry behind the polish and products kids are being subjected to. Here's some interesting information:

Is Your Nail Polish Toxic?

Also, I am simply amazed by the amount of parents who take their kids to have their natural locks colored, permed, etc. They are needlessly subjecting their children to toxins for what? To look better? To fit in? To keep up with the Joneses? To make their own pampering, primping, extravagance, vanity feel okay? WTH??? The fact that this has become widely accepted and even encouraged is a sad commentary with regards to today's society.

How about letting kids be kids?! They have to grow up soon enough.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Passing the billion and one nail joints around town, and seeing the same thing as the OP, made me to wonder about the actual chemistry behind the polish and products kids are being subjected to. Here's some interesting information:

Is Your Nail Polish Toxic?

Also, I am simply amazed by the amount of parents who take their kid to have their natural locks colored, permed, etc. They are needlessly subjecting their children to toxins for what? To look better? To fit in? To keep up with the Joneses? To make their own pampering, primping, extravagance, vanity feel okay? WTH??? The fact that this has become widely accepted and even encouraged is a sad commentary about our society today. How about letting kids be kids?! They have to grow up soon enough.
I have to agree....

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Kids should be out playing with toys not being done up like dolls or mini ME's Is all this for the mothers or the kids......oh and the manicurist doing this wee girls nails had a mask on...... the child didnt...

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Kids should be KIDS and everything should come in time. Why would a 5 year old need a mani, pedi, or even nail polish on her fingers???? Why does a 7 or 8 year old need to carry a designer bag?? Why do young girls at 7 need a bra?? Or hair extensions. Or heels? People are trying to make their girls grow up way too fast. It's insane. Truly insane.

There is no need to get a mani/pedi on a young girl. That's how you 'bond' with your child? Why not "bond" over a board game or a trip to a museum or a trip to the zoo? Or rent a movie at home, watch it with some snacks and drinks, and talk about the movie afterward?

Subjecting your child to toxic chemicals at any age is insane. You have no clue what your child is breathing into her lungs in a nail salon, not to mention having the same toxins applied to her SKIN (and, yes, fingernails ARE skin).

I've, personally, never liked the way nail polish looks on young girls. When I was in school, we weren't allowed to wear nail polish AT ALL, even when we were in the higher grades. I remember our teacher (a very "proper lady") telling us there is no reason for a woman to wear any color nail polish other than clear and that would only be if you're going to a special event. Other than that, nail polish is not necessary or attractive. All these years later, I agree with her.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Thank god its not just me..... with all these little Lolitas running around..

Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Kids should be out playing with toys not being done up like dolls or mini ME's Is all this for the mothers or the kids......oh and the manicurist doing this wee girls nails had a mask on...... the child didnt...

Most of the time, I think it's the mothers. They all try to "outdo" one another. At a place I used to work, many of the women had young daughters (preschool age). They all tried to "outdo" the other by getting their girls mani/pedis, give them little Coach bags, dressing them in nothing but designer clothing, putting lip gloss on them, having the hair in crazy hair-doos, etc. I know what their salaries were, many of them were "single moms" and I'm sure they couldn't truly afford any of the nonsense but just had to do it to prove something.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
I would not in a million years expose a kid to polish, nasty salon tools and chemicals. Its not a Lolita thing but a health issue. In all fairness some 7 year olds need bras. Girls start menses as early as 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty