Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The mom "finally has a buddy to do these things with". And a whole 4 or 5 minutes? Wow.

No, I still don't get it..... I would rather spend a day with my daughter at a museum, a zoo, Central Park, or sightseeing. We would be doing something interesting and something we could talk about and learn from and discuss with others. My daughter and I did these types of things all the time when she was little (and still do!).

There was never a need for mani/pedis or anything like that. She didn't become interested in that type of stuff until just recently (she's 14). She was always a "girly-girl" but mani/pedis never interested her until now. I promised her as soon as I could find a salon that is hygenic enough (like the one a previous poster mentioned), I will be more than happy to take her for a mani/pedi.
And what makes you think those moms aren't also taking their kids to museums and parks and zoos? Why does it have to be one or the other with you?

The difference, from my point of view, is that a mini spa treatment feels more special to a little girl than sightseeing. A manicure is probably a rare treat while hopefully going to the park is a regular occurrence. A manicure or pedicure probably feels very grown up to a little girl, while a trip to the zoo is something every kid does. Kids also love to emulate their parents, so showing off that mommy and daughter have the same pink polish is a special feeling that lasts for days, not just a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Jeez Louise, its just a coat of polish. My mother instilled the art of good grooming (polished nails, no stinky armpits, comb your hair)..sounds silly right--but have you seen the way some of the girls are dressing, maintaining themselves these days. Walking around in pajamas, slippers, having the word "juicy" or "pink" written over the tacky butts of their sweatpants..and dont get me started on the "upscale" velour trackpants that the moms who still shop and wear clothes to compete with their teenage daughter!

On rare occasions, I dont mind if my 13 year old gets a mini mani....because its the art of good grooming. Their grannie (my mom)..loves bringing them care baskets full of scrunchies, hair brushes, nailpolish and mini lotions. Its all very supervised..and most of all FUN!!!
Being well groomed actually has nothing to do with whether your nails are polished or not, just whether they are trimmed and clean. If you aren't going to be pristine with polished nails, chipped polish looks terrible, much better to just leave them unpolished.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Being well groomed actually has nothing to do with whether your nails are polished or not, just whether they are trimmed and clean. If you aren't going to be pristine with polished nails, chipped polish looks terrible, much better to just leave them unpolished.
There's well groomed and then there's polished and pulled together - the terms aren't necessarily interchangeable.

Personally, I feel well groomed when my nails are clean and trimmed. I feel POLISHED when my nails are, well, POLISHED.

To each his own, but I'm glad my family puts some importance on the subtle differences. We enjoy our PEDICURED toenails and polished fingernails - even when the polish is a very discreet neutral color.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's well groomed and then there's polished and pulled together - the terms aren't necessarily interchangeable.

Personally, I feel well groomed when my nails are clean and trimmed. I feel POLISHED when my nails are, well, POLISHED.

To each his own, but I'm glad my family puts some importance on the subtle differences. We enjoy our PEDICURED toenails and polished fingernails - even when the polish is a very discreet neutral color.
I hear what you are saying. The other poster did equate polished fingernails to good grooming, so that is where my comment came from. I usually wear polish on my toes, but not on my hands.

We all have our own opinions. I really hate the look of chipped polish, or a manicure that is overdue. I've spent much of my worklife first working in foodservice environments and then healthcare environments. People don't like to see a foodservice worker with chipped polish. While not banned, nail polish really isn't highly encouraged in the healthcare environments I've worked in either. Artificial nails, longer nails have been documented as more difficult to keep clean.

As far as whatever perception of "polish" that painted nails might have....once the polish is chipped...that perception of "polish" is gone. Since I wash my hands so much...I'd imagine I'd be painting my fingernails daily

Last edited by Larkspur123; 03-10-2013 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
I started this thread as I was appalled at a toddler propped up on a high stool in a shopping centre having her nails filed and polished... this is what angered me... what baby needs taken to one of these places where the manicurists have to wear masks , but the child didnt, surely this was enough of alarm bells for any mother to realize the dangers, not to mention trying to make a baby into a woman... A few years back here in Glasgow , this sort of thing wouldnt have been seen, dont start me on babies with pierced ears.. thats something else that angers me... its child abuse...

Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I think the danger level is the difference between being around nail polish remover, acrylic nail chemicals and all that for 8 hours a day, versus, going in for less than 1/2 hour and getting sparkly nail polish put on.

I had my ears pierced at 6 months... and I don't feel abused.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I had my daughters' ears pierced at 6 months, and they love that so much that each of them had THEIR daughters' ears pierced as infants as well - not out of tradition but because they just like it and appreciated that I had theirs done at such a young age.

It's as a baby or wait till they are much older, want them pierced anyway, and then there's all sorts of drama. When a baby gets it's ears pierced, it's over in one or two seconds max and done with. My girls didn't even cry - they just looked startled! Try taking a thirteen year old to the mall to get her ears pierced in comparison! LOL I know - I was that thirteen year old!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The other day at our local shopping centre, I watched, a two or three year old girl sitting up on a high stool at an outside booth having here nails filed and nail varnish put on... what are these mothers thinking.. kids that age dont need a manicure and more importantly , they shouldnt be having nail varnish put on... surely nursery schools and schools dont allow this ..... its making them into wee adults fae too soon... and I never thought Id see this sort of thing in Scotland..this is what TV shows like TOWIE have started with nail extensions. fake spray tans and hair extensions.. poor kids...
I don't see anything wrong with it. My daughter (who is now 8) used to, and still LOVES to get her nails done. It's a treat for her. It's not like she is going once a week, or even once a month. Maybe once every 6 months or so. It's a fun day for both of us.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
i think it would be too much for a little girl because little girls are not supposed to have a manicures they are way too young

composed by my 7 year old granddaughter but I agree with her.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:58 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
I don't really care whether or not kids have painted nails..... but it's very irritating that some nail salons are now frequently over run with loud children. I'm not sure if the "kids at nail salons" thing is a new trend, or is just more common in North Carolina (never noticed kids in salons when I lived up north a few years ago). I'm not generally irritated by children, but when I'm paying $50 for a pedicure as a treat I'd like to be able to relax without having kids running around my chair. It seems rather common that mom will go get mani/pedi, kids run around wild, then kids get a quick manicure. To an extent I sympathize with moms that just want to get their nails done, but if your kids can't sit still it may be better to forgo the manicure till they get a bit older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty