Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is a problem for teens to wear some makeup. My mom banned it for me.

But I don't think teens (or anyone) should be consumed by their looks.

There is a larger problem in high schools that are impacting self esteem. We are largely very appearance focused, women are taught from near birth that being attractive is the most important thing for a woman (just look at the threads on the front page of this forum or read a few threads on the relationship forum).

So obviously, teens are going to do everything they can to be perceived as more attractive. We have been training them for this since they were born. It would be way more effective to stop valuing girls on only their appearance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

87 posts, read 135,504 times
Don't you think men can try to look better with make up, waxing and sexy clothes? Why is it that they don't feel the need? We have trained women to think they are not good enough without sales gimmicks. This is 2013, grown up women need to set the right example for young girls.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulching View Post
Don't you think men can try to look better with make up, waxing and sexy clothes? Why is it that they don't feel the need? We have trained women to think they are not good enough without sales gimmicks. This is 2013, grown up women need to set the right example for young girls.
They could but it has limited impact on their worth as defined by society for men.

Women continue to be defined by their looks. Even when it is completely irrelevant. Female political leaders, corporate leaders and athletes are evaluated on looks first talent/competence after.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulching View Post
It's because women are judged almost solely on their looks. As Jade mentioned, how often do you read a news article about a female CEO or politician that doesn't mention her looks?

I was told by one of my bosses at my last job that I wasn't going to be taken as seriously and that I wouldn't be considered for promotions/raises because it didn't seem like I took care of my grooming. When asked what that meant, he told me that I should probably do my hair and wear makeup to work.

I was a mechanic at the time, not working with the public at all and in a hangar that was private and only accessible by people who worked at the airport.

This is what many women have to deal with on a daily basis... we are expected to look pretty and 'polished' or else we're simply not taken seriously, even in professions where you would think it would be ok to not wear makeup (ya know, covered in skydrol and grease).

Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
As a grown woman, no it's not

An impressionable teen probably doesn't have the same outlook though.

You pick and choose which is great (as do I) - girls at highschool shouldn't feel pressured to wear makeup (2hrs getting ready!!) to look "beautiful".
Who's pressuring them? Maybe my high school was just a special place but I felt free to experiment with my look, even encouraged to do so. The girls would wear a dress and heels one day and a t shirt and jeans the next and no one thought anything of it. My friends and I wore strange things and boring things and girly things and nobody ever had anything but positive words about it all. So where is this pressure coming from to look one way and not another?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Why do I feel this idealist day turned into b's talking about who has better skin...hmmm

Trade cult "better than you with makeup" thinking for cult "better than you without makeup" thinking. Not really making great strides there.

How about instead no makeup the say no to tanning...noticed that. Doubt those cheerballs will stop the spray and bake though. How about a great big "no" to the shirt that looks like your bra is half hanging out?(pictured in link)

Meaningless movements irk me.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
This is very good news and I hope it spreads. I wish nobody wore makeup period. I prefer to not wear it at all. If nobody wore makeup, dyed their hair, or got plastic surgery, I would be a 9.9 in comparison to everyone else lol!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM

87 posts, read 135,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Who's pressuring them? Maybe my high school was just a special place but I felt free to experiment with my look, even encouraged to do so. The girls would wear a dress and heels one day and a t shirt and jeans the next and no one thought anything of it. My friends and I wore strange things and boring things and girly things and nobody ever had anything but positive words about it all. So where is this pressure coming from to look certain way?

Hmmmm! It's coming from every direction. From media, teachers, moms, friends, almost every other women around has been brain washed over centuries by society and cosmetics sellers that a women is not good enough and must enhance her beauty, no matter how gorgeous she looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty