Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 PM

21 posts, read 75,759 times

Advertisements

I want to know what you guys think is too much makeup. I saw this thing once on the Tyra Banks show and they showed pictures of women wearing no make up and women with makeup and the men chose the pic of the women wearing makeup more appealing, but they always say men don't like women wearing makeup. I think men are fine with makeup if it's done right like a smokey eye compared to clown looking makeup such as bright eyeshadows. So I wanted to know if I wear too much makeup. This is what I wear everyday-powder foundation, chapstick, then I pat a little bit of concealer on my lips for a nude lip look, clear gloss to go over my lips, fill in my eyebrows with some powder, neutral brown eyeshadows and black eyeliner on top and bottom lashes for a smokey eye, and 1 coat of very black mascara on top and bottom eyelashes. Now is this a lot of makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover14 View Post
I want to know what you guys think is too much makeup. I saw this thing once on the Tyra Banks show and they showed pictures of women wearing no make up and women with makeup and the men chose the pic of the women wearing makeup more appealing, but they always say men don't like women wearing makeup. I think men are fine with makeup if it's done right like a smokey eye compared to clown looking makeup such as bright eyeshadows. So I wanted to know if I wear too much makeup. This is what I wear everyday-powder foundation, chapstick, then I pat a little bit of concealer on my lips for a nude lip look, clear gloss to go over my lips, fill in my eyebrows with some powder, neutral brown eyeshadows and black eyeliner on top and bottom lashes for a smokey eye, and 1 coat of very black mascara on top and bottom eyelashes. Now is this a lot of makeup.
Yeah it is, but if it makes you happy then why not? As long as you like what you see in the mirror.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
It doesn't sound like a lot of makeup to me.

But then I wear a light liquid foundation, a bronzer, lip gloss, dark eyeshadow that I use as a smoky liner, and mascara. I also usually "set" my foundation and bronzer with a little dash of powder from a compact. All this is done with a light touch but it's still seven steps. It takes me about five minutes.

Here's the look:

I am probably older than you are. I'm in my fifties. One thing I've come to realize is that less is more when you're my age - but it's trickier because we have the challenge of uneven skin tone and a lack of elasticity, and sometimes dark areas under our eyes as we age. But MORE makeup (to hide these things) makes us look like clowns. So this makeup stuff gets trickier as you get older!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am probably older than you are. I'm in my fifties..
No effin way!! You look great!

Now, this is what I consider too much makeup (from the other thread). I am not a guy but whatever, I don't like it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ormations.html

I prefer this amount:

Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
No effin way!! You look great!
You are very kind! Thank you!

When I was young I hated my layer of baby fat under my face, and my combination skin with it's little outbreaks! But that extra pudge and that extra oil have come in handy as I've aged!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
If you have to ask, maybe that's a clue it's too much?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
If you have to ask, maybe that's a clue it's too much?
Not necessarily.

As our faces change, and hairstyles change, and skin changes, we have to revamp and re evaluate our makeup. It doesn't hurt to ask for opinions from others.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,226 times
I just feel like smokey eye makeup is not for day use. That's something you put on during the evening.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I just feel like smokey eye makeup is not for day use. That's something you put on during the evening.
I agree, and I probably sound like a broken record here but the effects of "too much" makeup, or evening makeup during the day seem to be 1) looking older than intended and 2) looking bitchy.

I don't know how else to put it but makeup can change someone's look from "hey, she is pretty and looks like she'd be an interesting/nice person" to "wow, she looks full of herself and unapproachable". Weird how that works. My 20 year old son agrees with me on this whole approachability thing connected with the makeup.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 03-12-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I guess it just depends on the individual and their features. And of course the AMOUNT of the "smokey eye makeup."

I use black eyeshadow, put on with a very fine brush, in place of eyeliner, in the daytime. My photo is up. I don't think it's an overly done "smokey eye." To me, it looks more natural than a line of black or dark brown outlining the eye. And I need a little definition to my eyes at my age. Eyelashes and eyebrows start to thin out as we get older.

THIS is an overly done look for daytime! (in my opinion!)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty