Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM

75 posts, read 72,614 times

Advertisements

Another thread of mine, sorry about that, but I finally let my interest in fashion free, so I have a lot of questions that aren't simple answers and require a discussion.

To the point! I've thought about fashion and clothes a lot, I've been in many stores today (spend ~8h in total) and "touched" a lot of clothes, checked how they feel, checked the prices. I was able to see a very big difference between 20/80% silk/cotton and costly 100% cotton shirts compared to the cheap 100% cotton shirts for example. I was able to feel the difference between suit jackets that cost $200, $300 and $400 and are all from wool. I was able to feel the difference in denim and everything else.

Apparently there IS a difference when buying costlier clothes, and that's what I want, I see no reason to buy clothes that I won't want to wear. However, I don't make that much money, for example, I'd have to work for 2 months, don't pay taxes and don't eat to be able to buy a quality suit. Or I would be able to buy ~2-3 quality shirts a month. Or 2 pairs of jeans/pants. Since I have to eat and pay taxes, it would take me months, and that's insane.

I can borrow money (have actually) with promises to give it back within a year, but... Is it really worth it? I don't have a great home, I couldn't take care of my clothes properly with this salary, I can't even take a proper shower!

What I'm saying is, I think it's pointless for me to buy any clothes. However I want to represent myself as me, because well - it's the beginning of my career, I'm making my image, it'll be remembered forever, even if I go to another job it'll be in my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjobfashion View Post
Another thread of mine, sorry about that, but I finally let my interest in fashion free, so I have a lot of questions that aren't simple answers and require a discussion.

To the point! I've thought about fashion and clothes a lot, I've been in many stores today (spend ~8h in total) and "touched" a lot of clothes, checked how they feel, checked the prices. I was able to see a very big difference between 20/80% silk/cotton and costly 100% cotton shirts compared to the cheap 100% cotton shirts for example. I was able to feel the difference between suit jackets that cost $200, $300 and $400 and are all from wool. I was able to feel the difference in denim and everything else.

Apparently there IS a difference when buying costlier clothes, and that's what I want, I see no reason to buy clothes that I won't want to wear. However, I don't make that much money, for example, I'd have to work for 2 months, don't pay taxes and don't eat to be able to buy a quality suit. Or I would be able to buy ~2-3 quality shirts a month. Or 2 pairs of jeans/pants. Since I have to eat and pay taxes, it would take me months, and that's insane.

I can borrow money (have actually) with promises to give it back within a year, but... Is it really worth it? I don't have a great home, I couldn't take care of my clothes properly with this salary, I can't even take a proper shower!

What I'm saying is, I think it's pointless for me to buy any clothes. However I want to represent myself as me, because well - it's the beginning of my career, I'm making my image, it'll be remembered forever, even if I go to another job it'll be in my resume.
You don't say what you occupation is. If it's in the creative fields, I think you can get away with purchasing more modestly priced pieces for your wardrobe. If it's conservative like Wall Street, you'll have to go with quality. Shopping at an upscale resale/ consignment store might help in that case, and there are lots of products in the storage/organizing sections of stores like Target, Walmart and Kmart that will help you keep your clothes in good shape.

You could have a garage sale to raise money for the work wardrobe. Just a thought.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM

75 posts, read 72,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
You don't say what you occupation is. If it's in the creative fields, I think you can get away with purchasing more modestly priced pieces for your wardrobe. If it's conservative like Wall Street, you'll have to go with quality. Shopping at an upscale resale/ consignment store might help in that case, and there are lots of products in the storage/organizing sections of stores like Target, Walmart and Kmart that will help you keep your clothes in good shape.

You could have a garage sale to raise money for the work wardrobe. Just a thought.
It's in the technical field, but I'm not looking to "get away," (satisfy others) I'm looking to represent myself.

I don't have a garage nor "much stuff," I'm not in the US, we don't do garage sales here. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's a good one.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjobfashion View Post
It's in the technical field, but I'm not looking to "get away," (satisfy others) I'm looking to represent myself.

I don't have a garage nor "much stuff," I'm not in the US, we don't do garage sales here. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's a good one.
So I'm thinking you're going for business casual. Stores like Lands End and Talbots, Loehmanns all have some very good options for clothes that are tailored, classy and professional, yet comfortable.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
EBay has new clothes for about half price. If you know your size in a brand, you can do quite well.

There has to be some sort of store like Oxfam or Salvation Army where you are. You can shop frequently until you find something good.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sales. I have a rule on clothes, it has to cost retail over $100, and I only buy it at 75% or more. Amazon.com has some awesome deals. Shoes, accessories...pants.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times
Do not go in debt/borrow to buy clothes, that is financial suicide, are you for real? You want to borrow money that you don't have and spend it for clothes you don't need to impress people who probably do not care that much. Find good deals on clothes that you can afford but do not create a liability just for fashion sake.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Do not go in debt/borrow to buy clothes, that is financial suicide, are you for real? You want to borrow money that you don't have and spend it for clothes you don't need to impress people who probably do not care that much. Find good deals on clothes that you can afford but do not create a liability just for fashion sake.
^^^This.

Your problem isn't how much the clothing costs, it's knowing how to pick out good quality clothing for less money. If you knew what you were looking for, you could pick up serious quality goods at Goodwill and have them dry cleaned and save hundreds of dollars. Knowing the name brands are important, but checking out how the garments are made is equally important. Just go out and pick up some decent clothing and don't over think this. Be clean and crisp and I'm sure you'll look good.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 AM

38 posts, read 43,301 times
No you should not spend money when you do not have, I mean it's not necessary to borrow money from someone when it's about cloths buy.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
^^^This.

Your problem isn't how much the clothing costs, it's knowing how to pick out good quality clothing for less money. If you knew what you were looking for, you could pick up serious quality goods at Goodwill and have them dry cleaned and save hundreds of dollars. Knowing the name brands are important, but checking out how the garments are made is equally important. Just go out and pick up some decent clothing and don't over think this. Be clean and crisp and I'm sure you'll look good.
Not always. I've never found anything at a thrift store I'd want to wear. And you can't count on it being there when you need it. At our thrift stores you can find tons and tons and tons of printed tee shirts, but white button downs? Nope.

OP -- what you need to do is understand that you are starting out. You want to buy what you can afford right now, with one or two "investment" pieces. Classics, well made, and you will wear for years. Let's say it's a black blazer. You can dress it up for work, and dress it down with jeans.

After every wearing, HANG IT UP, don't stuff it in a closet. Let it air a little. (If your closet is stuffed -- clear it out -- clothing needs to breathe, and buy proper hangers) Get it cleaned when necessary (Choose a reputable cleaners), and inspect it regularly for loose buttons, frayed button holes, moth holes and fix them when you see them. (Buttons can be very expensive and hard to match)

You want to watch your fit on the less expensive clothing... and as your earnings go up, and you can invest more into your wardrobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty