Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I never will ever understand this question. When I look at a grey haired old woman with wrinkles I see the beauty in a woman who has lived a long life. A woman who has probably endured quite a bit and has overcome.

I will be 40 this year and truthfully, I look much better than I did in my 20's.
While I agree with this wholeheartedly, I'll add that menopause has more to do with the changes in a woman's skin, hair, muscle tone and weight gain than anything else. A woman can still do everything in her power to keep herself looking good, but the hormones don't lie. A post-menopausal woman may still be very beautiful, but it's not the same beauty as woman who has not gone through menopause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM

100 posts, read 161,294 times
Beautiful celebrities who are over 40-

Beautiful Celebrities Who Are Over 40 (28 pics)

Hope it's ok to post links, I'm new here...if it's not allowed, then sorry.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
hope its not at 35!! :O

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 220,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
And a similar question: at which age do they start to look older, but in a bad way?
At the same age men do.

Just check pictures. The 18-22 year old kids(male and female)are full grace. It's a beautiful age. The 40 year olds while they still might look good, their skin and features are not as nice as when they were 18.

It's life, we were all 18, and we will all be 35, 50 and 70.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,514,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
While I agree with this wholeheartedly, I'll add that menopause has more to do with the changes in a woman's skin, hair, muscle tone and weight gain than anything else. A woman can still do everything in her power to keep herself looking good, but the hormones don't lie. A post-menopausal woman may still be very beautiful, but it's not the same beauty as woman who has not gone through menopause.
I agree with you. It was so utterly mortifying to see my skin's firmness change in the middle of menopause and now it's an absolute struggle to keep the right products on it to return to its original pre-menopausal state or hopefully even before that. This is especially true at the chin/jowl line. What the heck happened? It "like" fell overnight. I didn't have jowls when I was 46 at the onset of menopause and then one morning I woke up, looked in the mirror as usual - and then screamed for about 5 minutes; with sobbing and tears coming soon afterwards. This happened about two years ago and I will be 50 come October 1 of this year. Now every morning I greet my reflection in the mirror with, "Hello Droopy, how are you today?"

I used to look down on older women who would have face lifts but now I can see why they do it, and I'm saving every extra nickel to get one for myself soon. I'm going to beat this; I know I can. I feel too young inside to have jowls. I thought for sure I would meet this age with acceptance; as a part of growing older but it hit so fast and so dramatically I am still reeling from the shock. I didn't start to take care of my skin - moisturizers, etc. until I was in my late 30's when I first noticed some wrinkles around the eyes, so it could have been much worse had I not. Most of those wrinkles are now gone due to using moisturizers so I am hopeful that I can lift my jowls back to my cheeks with firming serums and keep it that way until I am truly ready to meet my age. I suppose I should be grateful that I was never a sun worshiper. Had I been another hair color than a redhead with pale skin I might have been out in the sun even more than I was, but luckily, I guess in hindsight, all it ever gave me was painful sunburns.

So to answer the thread question - it depends when you will hit menopause dear. If your mother didn't go through menopause until her 50's then unlike me, you'll have all of your 40's and some of your 50's to prance about like a glorious sex kitten. Until mid-menopause, I felt like I was only getting better with age. I looked much better in my mid to late 30's than I ever did when I was in my 20's.

There is a saying that a woman doesn't truly hit her prime, both beauty wise and sexually, until her mid-thirties and I believe that is true. Then I was told the 40's were even more awesome and that ended up being true too. Lately from my older friends I hear that the 50's are the greatest as far as inner happiness goes, so I'm going to celebrate turning 50 this year with a positive attitude that the best is yet to come.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,026 times
18, after that its all downhill

Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Troll post?
why is it a troll post? as humorous as his phrasing was, he's right.

I am sick to tears of discussions of aesthetic beauty getting ridiculous and dishonest responses about the beauty within and all women are beautiful. It's simply not true.

While SOME women look better than when they are younger, most do not.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,644 times
It varies greatly from person to person, and also I've found that women of different ethnicities age differently. Also, I don't think thin women age that well either; after 40, a little chub goes a long way towards filling out the wrinkles.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,523,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem Shake View Post
At the same age men do.

Just check pictures. The 18-22 year old kids(male and female)are full grace. It's a beautiful age. The 40 year olds while they still might look good, their skin and features are not as nice as when they were 18.

It's life, we were all 18, and we will all be 35, 50 and 70.

I think most people look MUCH better at 30 than at 18.
At 18 you have that kind off puffy face from youth, while at 30 you have your face more defined, thinner, and you are still young so no wrinkles or signs of age, and on top of that you already learned whats your best look. So much better at 30 than at 18!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Considering I was never really a looker to begin with...I think I'm doing ok considering my "advanced age" and the fact that I had 3 kids cut out of me. (I would have stated "popped" out, but that wasn't my case. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty