Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

"Fitted" shirts in the department stores are slimmer than the blousy "regular" fit, and it's not as skinny as "slim" fitting shirts.

Slim < Fitted < Regular

You're thin, so I would go with slim or fitted, whatever doesn't pinch across the front or through the arms. Make sure the sleeves are the right length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM

75 posts, read 72,636 times
Speaking of shirts, you can't try them, can you? They are packed in bags. The problem with me being slim is that I also have very slim arms as well as my body, but my bone structure is wide and very "manly," like a triangle (the pointy end at the bottom), and it's quite evident. Even if I have little muscle, I unintentionally "scare off" people on the street because I look like the slim version of a club security guard.

In short, I'm not sure if I wouldn't need a "special" shirt.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
The department stores here will measure you, or you can have a friend take your measurements before you go. One of the bad things about departments stores (at least where I can afford to shop) is that it can be hard to find someone to help, but a good salesperson would suggest--for example--that the Calvin Klein slim fit is roomy across the shoulders and to try the Kenneth Cole. I'm not sure about protocol in Europe, but here you can open the shirts to try them on. I'm sure the stores would prefer that you not, and Carson's had a whole bunch of shirts on a rack so most neck/sleeve/brand/fit combinations were there. We still had to open a couple, though. They can't expect you to buy something without trying it on, no different from if you ordered it online and had to send it back. But it can't hurt to ask when you're there.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
So much of all of the above sounds really dressy for the environment you're going to be in. I understand you want to look like yourself, but you don't want to stand out as the guy that is obviously overdressed. Some of those button down shirts look too dressy. However, you can dress them down with dark jeans.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The department stores here will measure you, or you can have a friend take your measurements before you go. One of the bad things about departments stores (at least where I can afford to shop) is that it can be hard to find someone to help, but a good salesperson would suggest--for example--that the Calvin Klein slim fit is roomy across the shoulders and to try the Kenneth Cole. I'm not sure about protocol in Europe, but here you can open the shirts to try them on. I'm sure the stores would prefer that you not, and Carson's had a whole bunch of shirts on a rack so most neck/sleeve/brand/fit combinations were there. We still had to open a couple, though. They can't expect you to buy something without trying it on, no different from if you ordered it online and had to send it back. But it can't hurt to ask when you're there.
I will see what can be done. I don't feel like juggling half-nude in a store near a ton of random people to get measured, so I'll probably measure me at home. And I don't think they offer that anyway, young women working mostly, seem like 18-year-olds or so, what do they know about classic fashion; chances are - nothing or very little. (no offense, I don't mean everyone, I mean the fact that they say that polyester is great material and better than wool for a suit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
So much of all of the above sounds really dressy for the environment you're going to be in. I understand you want to look like yourself, but you don't want to stand out as the guy that is obviously overdressed. Some of those button down shirts look too dressy. However, you can dress them down with dark jeans.
Could you show some shirt examples and explain the "dressiness" of them? I can't grasp it very well yet.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
How did you end up in IT? Do you like it?

It is sort of known for its super casual culture. Wrinkled shirts and jeans sounds about right.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
No jeans. The IT folks where I work basically have a "uniform" of Khaki Dockers, button down shirts. Leather belt. Not fancy dress shoes, Clarks Touareg Brown Burnished Leather - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Something like that... http://www.zappos.com/clarks-un-ravel-brown-leather

http://www.zappos.com/dockers-mens-n...ont-pant-taupe
http://m.landsend.com/mt/www.landsen...250420_-1.html

Last edited by jasper12; 03-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,543 times
This is a good look, I think. Not too dressy, but definitely not too casual. I like the colors shown here, but also would recommend navy or royal blue if you have blue eyes. I think it looks really great when guys match their shirt colors to their eyes. Also--you could omit the tie and still have this look really great for the office.

This is also a good look for a young man in an office. Again, the tie would be optional, but I think it looks really great with it. Notice the nice haircuts and and grooming. Don't scimp on that part of the overall look. Good luck and congrats on your new job!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The haircut is a key element. This guy who is major GQ, his hair is styled, and he wears a gold watch, chunky gold ring on right hand, he always looks clean and sharp. In two years he went from minor supervision to assistant cheif. He stands out from the guys who come to work in a golf shirt and tennis shoes. Many of them look like they rolled out of bed and picked up their clothes off the floor. An iron is your friend.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
How did you end up in IT? Do you like it?

It is sort of known for its super casual culture. Wrinkled shirts and jeans sounds about right.
I just contacted a company and asked if they are looking for people, that's all. I think I do, hard to tell at this point. My goal though is management, I'm really good at creating efficient plans. Or evaluation, checking if one does a good job. But people hate evaluation guys, may not be that great for my further career.

Yea, I don't like that fact. The guys are too "fun" for me, I have little to talk about with them. I don't go partying or whatever other "fun" activities they do, so I'm not sure how I'm going to fit in. I'd prefer to read a book or have a heated discussion, or do some work if I enjoy it instead.

@Jasper12 My haircut is like the one from the 60s using gel. I think it's okay, though some styling could be done, I agree. I'm reserving that for when I'll be in a higher position.

@TotallyTam I actually like the second look, and doesn't look so casual. Probably would still look good without the tie; and I like the colors too!

Problem with it is that the pants may get dirty quickly, so I'm not sure if I'm going to go the light pants way, as there may be rainy days during the summer and I don't have a car.

Definitely a great picture you found there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty