Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Interestingly, it was a guy I was working with (he was older and married for many years) that brought up the point that my ideas were being ignored at a work meeting and it did make the other guys kind of angry. He pointed out that the 'pretty' woman's ideas weren't viable and that mine were much more feasible and they threw an absolute fit. In the end, I got my way (based on my ideas, not on my pushiness) and was called all kinds of names, including a jealous bit**, by the other male coworkers.
COOL! Not the name-calling, but the fact that someone stood up for you, and called the other guys on their stuff, and your practical ideas were adopted.

How are things going at your new job? Better than at the last one, I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree with you that attractive men have it easier in life than unattractive ones, but it's far worse for women. In a professional setting, all I care about is a woman's competence, period. I wish more men were like that. I've seen overweight, elderly, frumpy, etc. women passed over and overlooked time and time again for less competent, less professional -- but prettier, thinner and younger -- women in the work place. This is just ridiculous to me. If I were a woman, I suppose I'd put most of my energy into my looks because that's what is rewarded more often than not.
That's why I made a thread long ago that getting plastic surgery would have been my best bet instead of going to college(it would have had more benefits)
What's the point of having a Master's degree when you still are going to get looked over and the pretty high school dropout gets paid more than you do?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I read an article today where the men were polled and giving statements according to what they think is attractive about women. They claimed women have it 'all wrong' about what is attractive to the average man. They then proceeded to 'set the record straight' and named some unconventional beauties like Anne Hathaway as being the most attractive type women. Okay fine.

Why is it they always SAY these 'unconventional women' are the most attractive -- yet as soon as Christina Aguilera is shown or even Khloe Kardashian the first words out of their mouths are fat and/or ugly? They are the only two I can think of at this late hour, but I've seen this happening on several occasions. What I'm saying is: the female celebrities who actually fit the 'unconventional beauties' or have 'normal' body types are the ones they call fat/ugly! So personally I don't think they like normal women at all. I think they say so because it sounds 'good.'

They seem to like to say one thing but sorry, it doesn't seem to pan out that way when you get down to brass tax about the women they actually covet & put on pedestals.
First off, I had no idea I wasn't a normal women.

There's a big difference between Anne Hathaway and Aguilera and Kardashian.

Anne's an unconventional beauty because she's slender, small breasted, fresh, sweet looking, girl next door type.

Aguliera has the problem of the public knowing what she looked like when she was fit. She was gorgeous and she wasn't anorexic either. Unfortunately, now that she's overweight, she looks like a drag queen because she always overdoes her makeup and clothing choices.

Kardashian has the misfortune of being big boned. She's a big girl. But I think she has the prettiest face of her sisters. There are a lot more Hathaways and Augileras out there than Kardashian so I wouldn't say she's normal. Her body is fairly uncommon. Instead of normal, I'd say she's a natural beauty.

It's not really about weight. It's about being fit. Aguliera is just plain out of shape, period. Kardashian looks great big, but a just few extra pounds makes her look overweight quickly.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Why is being big boned a misfortune?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That's why I made a thread long ago that getting plastic surgery would have been my best bet instead of going to college(it would have had more benefits)
What's the point of having a Master's degree when you still are going to get looked over and the pretty high school dropout gets paid more than you do?
I've had soooo many people tell me that I should have spent my college tuition on plastic surgery. I called BS on it for a long time, but now that I'm getting older it's starting to make sense. I know this isn't true all the time, but it does seem that prettier women receive more opportunities than average or unattractive women regardless of actual experience or education.

Quote:
Because the worst thing a woman can be is 'big'. Whether it's tall, or fat or big boned or wide etc. Women are supposed to be meek and petite. I'm both tall AND big boned and believe me...it's not fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
It's a misfortune because she can't afford a few extra pounds without looking way more overweight than she is. It's clear she tries to keep her weight in check. She does deserve to be called a natural beauty.

Agalera is a different story. Agalera is super overweight. I'm sorry but I think it's sad if someone classifies that as normal. She's carrying around two or three extra people.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Because the worst thing a woman can be is 'big'. Whether it's tall, or fat or big boned or wide etc. Women are supposed to be meek and petite. I'm both tall AND big boned and believe me...it's not fun.
My grandmother was tall and big boned too. My mother was very tall, not big boned though. I know it's tough. My grandmother as lucky to marry a man taller than her. My mother was taller than my father.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My grandmother was tall and big boned too. My mother was very tall, not big boned though. I know it's tough. My grandmother as lucky to marry a man taller than her. My mother was taller than my father.
I don't really care about marrying anyone taller than me, I've known plenty of shorter men that I would have felt lucky to have as a partner

But the public ridicule gets old. Luckily, as I get older less and less people seem to pay attention to me, so I suppose 'losing my looks' has a weird benefit to it.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
But the public ridicule gets old. Luckily, as I get older less and less people seem to pay attention to me, so I suppose 'losing my looks' has a weird benefit to it.
That seems so backwards, doesn't it? It's seemed like they were intimidated by your attractiveness and used your height to make you feel bad about yourself so they could feel better about themselves.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a misfortune because she can't afford a few extra pounds without looking way more overweight than she is. It's clear she tries to keep her weight in check. She does deserve to be called a natural beauty.

Agalera is a different story. Agalera is super overweight. I'm sorry but I think it's sad if someone classifies that as normal. She's carrying around two or three extra people.
As if people can help the size of the bones they have...
But really,I thought that people with big bones could handle more weight?
Btw,I don't consider Chrsitina Aguilera big boned.
I think Queen Latifah and Brooke Shields are examples of big boned women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty