Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM

151 posts, read 219,915 times

Advertisements

Well I am quite a feminist but I find stupid that people wear uncomfortable skimpy clothes in public. Nothing more silly than a woman who can barely move because a body part is gonna pop out. Not very far from foot binding, another way to control women by not allowing them To move freely

Women, think about your audience before you live your home. I know in your fantasy world only the hot guys are gonna see your crack or cleavage but in the real world it's usually the undesirable older or ulglier perverts who are gonna be staring the longest, please don't complain when they do.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,367,706 times
"it's usually the undesirable older or ulglier perverts who are gonna be staring the longest, please don't complain when they do."

Oh GOD yeah! It's a magnet for perverts and creepy people. I've noticed that most people, myself included, can't help but
notice it but don't stare and try to look somewhere else. But it draws the perverts and the creeps out of the woodwork and they don't even make an effort to be discrete.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM

4,243 posts, read 7,154,509 times
Quote:
And the pyjamas, I haven't noticed guys doing it but I see women wearing pyjamas or what appears to be PJ's out in public a lot. Is this the new fashion trend or something?
Yeah, I noticed this too. Moreso with the bus rider crowd. In the winter, no less...seems sort of flimsy clothes to wear. Another look I noticed is like wearing medical scrubs. I think these might be real nurses aids and nurses, and such.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM

963 posts, read 2,297,762 times
The sad reality (for many men and women) is that the desire to be trendy has far exceeded our limits of good taste. The more shocking and tasteless certain celebrities become in their attire, the more they are revered and imitated. Popular fashion is more about shock value than creativity nowadays. It's not just clothes, the way we speak, the loss of good manners, are all symptoms of the coarsening of popular culture.

A few years ago, I would see Lena Horne in Penn Station quite often as she commuted into New York. Even in her 60's she was striking, an elegant woman, always tasteful in the way she dressed. That sort of elegance is a lost art nowadays (for both men and women).

Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,086,691 times
I don't think anyone is saying a 300 pound woman wearing spandex looks good, but really it doesn't have anything to do with me or my life so whatever, who cares? It isn't that I disagree with what you're saying, but I don't see why it's worth having a discussion over. I think all of us need to think more about ourselves and what WE are doing rather than looking around passing judgment on what everyone else is doing. It's like you are personally offended because a woman was working out in teeny little shorts. If she's uncomfortable then that's her problem. Maybe she wasn't. I don't know why people dress unflattering for their body type or walk around with their butt hanging out - I agree it's not attractive, but what can you do?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,040,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
It is utterly amazing to me the things I see many women wearing out in public lately.
Sheer leggings or spandex that basically look like black bodypaint. You see everything and it's
often not flattering. I've seen one woman with leggings so tight you could see cellulite through it!
There are others that look like they stretched an old pair of pantyhose and wore them like pants,
without any underwear.

There was a woman jogging the other day in spandex shorts so tiny that they may have been
underwear.
I've seen underwear that offers more coverage! The comical thing, is she was trying
to run with one hand on her backside yanking them over her butt when they were too small to
fit properly in the first place.

Then there is plumber's crack for women. They often wear them without any underwear and any
slight bend and most of their butt crack is showing. Real fun while you are eating someplace in
a cafe and glance behind you to find the waiter and get a full on view of someone's pasty white
butt crack at the table next to you.

Then we get into something I've seen men starting to do as well.. wearing their pajamas in public.
Really? It's THAT much trouble to get dressed in actual street clothes? You have to shuffle around
in your unwashed looking Tweety bird Pajama bottoms in line at the bank?

Do people even care anymore? I'm a casual guy, I hate suits and dressing up but I will at least
attempt to look presentable and not make a spectacle of myself.

This just screams either "Look at ME, I need attention!" or " I don't care what I look like in the slightest"
Are you a straight dude? I have no issues with any of the above, with the exception of pajamas.

I actually love the look of spandex on women, and love staring at bouncing booties.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,887,902 times
Clearly, the people who agree with me that this thread is women bashing are keeping quiet because I have got repped a handful of times for that post.

It would be one thing if the OP were to bring up provocative dress OR pajamas in public but instead he just went on a complete bash.

We will never win, and like Jet Jockey said we will always be judged.

Dress conservative and you're a prude, clothes too loose and you're a slob, clothes to revealing and you're a *****.

Women are out running errands in PJs because we are busier than we have ever been before. We are in college at higher rates than men and many young women work and go to school. Most mothers work while raising their kids, I highly doubt they have the time or energy to dress like a stepford housewife before going to Walmart. I go to Target looking like a straight mess because between work, school, and my social life, I have no one to impress at Target.

Women are wearing skimpy work out clothes because so are men! If you don't train hard, you just don't get it. You can't have a good work out in constrictive clothing. Women weren't as athletic back in the 50s as we are today.

I have seen an obese woman in target bend over in a pair of sheer leggings and you know how I reacted?

I laughed and assumed she didn't know her pants were see through. What I did not do is start a judgmental thread on city data about it saying "Oh, she must be DESPERATE for attention" or "What a slob! Try harder".

Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,367,706 times
"What I did not do is start a judgmental thread on city data about it saying "Oh, she must be DESPERATE for attention" or "What a slob! Try harder"."

What a coincidence, neither did I. What I said that some of the things people choose to wear in public these days are inappropriate. That's my opinion. I'm expressing it in the fashion section of the forum where people express their opinions (good or bad) about fashion all the time.

I really love the ridiculous extremes you keep throwing against the wall and hoping they stick. "Stepford housewives"? So I oppose women walking around
in public in leggings so sheer that you can literally see cellulite and everything else through them so that automatically must assume that I want women
to dress like Stepford housewives. Nice Straw man argument!

You want to talk about judgmental? Look in the mirror. I'm apparently not supposed to have an opinion that disagrees with yours!

I believe I said this before but if I am supposed to keep it to myself and not express my opinion about fashion trends I don't like than if you come across a forum posting you don't like, you're invited to do the same. Either that or you are a hypocrite!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM

585 posts, read 963,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
It is utterly amazing to me the things I see many women wearing out in public lately.
Sheer leggings or spandex that basically look like black bodypaint. You see everything and it's
often not flattering. I've seen one woman with leggings so tight you could see cellulite through it!
There are others that look like they stretched an old pair of pantyhose and wore them like pants,
without any underwear.

There was a woman jogging the other day in spandex shorts so tiny that they may have been
underwear. I've seen underwear that offers more coverage! The comical thing, is she was trying
to run with one hand on her backside yanking them over her butt when they were too small to
fit properly in the first place.

Then there is plumber's crack for women. They often wear them without any underwear and any
slight bend and most of their butt crack is showing. Real fun while you are eating someplace in
a cafe and glance behind you to find the waiter and get a full on view of someone's pasty white
butt crack at the table next to you.

Then we get into something I've seen men starting to do as well.. wearing their pajamas in public.
Really? It's THAT much trouble to get dressed in actual street clothes? You have to shuffle around
in your unwashed looking Tweety bird Pajama bottoms in line at the bank?

Do people even care anymore? I'm a casual guy, I hate suits and dressing up but I will at least
attempt to look presentable and not make a spectacle of myself.

This just screams either "Look at ME, I need attention!" or " I don't care what I look like in the slightest"
What you said in the bolded text reminds me of:

Quote:
Jake (from Adventure Time) calls sweatpants “give up on life pants”. “I do because peeps need to respect themselves when they leave the house, even if it’s just for ice cream or TP or whatev.”

Taken from http://www.avclub.com/articles/who-w...weirdos,84349/
I honestly don't care what people wear. It's a free country/world.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM

102,115 posts, read 107,323,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
While I typically don't judge people based on what they wear, I do agree that there has been an increase in 'odd' fashion choices like the pajamas in public. I also agree that women seem to be wearing less and less clothing (like the shorts example you mentioned).
Men started the pajamas-in-public thing. At least, from what I've observed. I've seen a LOT more men wearing pajamas in public than I have women. I'm curious as to what started that trend. Did some TV personality start it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty