Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 AM

261 posts, read 1,350,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
For me, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds are all objectively handsome, but not particularly attractive. They're all too pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe you are comparing "beautiful vs sexy?"

I have seen beautiful men that were not sexy,and ugly men that were.
Lots of women say Barack Obama is sexy,but I don't see it at all.
Ryan Seacrest is beautiful,but not sexy to me.

Colin Farrell is sexy to me,but I really don't really hear about women swooning over him.
Where do you live where you don't hear about women swooning over him?! He's one that I can physically see the appeal of, but I'm not crazy over like every other woman is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm 69 times more attracted to my wife's friends, our neighbors, and my female coworkers than anybody on TV, movies, or magazines who rates a 10.
There's a joke in there somewhere.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
But this is a truth that goes beyond physical... I've seen gorgeous Victorian homes.... but I don't want one. And I love love love ranch homes and I know people that can't see anything in them.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
To me, Gorgeous, Perfect and flawless imply to me that the person lacks uniqueness.

The girl that played Catnip in the Hunger games is a good example of someone who I find very attractive who has some unique features that are for from perfect.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I guess the issue is 'physical beauty' versus 'pysical attraction.'
You ever see an absolutely drop dead gorgeous person -- who does nothing for you attraction-wise?

I've always found it strange since 'beauty' is clearly an 'attracting' factor -- but not everyone with 'beauty' has whatever that "IT" is that makes for physical 'attraction.' Yet both factors are indeed - physical.

Examples:
1) for DECADES, while I was in my teens, 20;s and early 30s, I never really saw what people found so attractive about Pual Newman. I mean while other women were swooning and losing their minds -- I just didn't see it. Then...well, then in my late 30's I guess, I saw him -- I don't even remember whether it was an interview, or a documentary piece or what -- well, the lightbulb went off. I GOT IT!. I finally saw what others saw -- the man was gorgeous. I think it may have been and interview because after that -- something about his demeanor, and calm, down to earth nature -- I just 'got it' and found him irresistible after that. ANd even though he was older by then I still found him attractive and was able to look back on his younger images and say now I see what others saw....and whatever IT is, he's still got it.

2) I saw a 1961 movie starring Rock Hudson, who while I readily admit -- and it's clear to see -- the man. is. gorgeous. He's never really made me weak in the knees or anything like that. For me he's one of those who -- like I said -- there's no doubt he's FINE AS CAN BE, and one of the FINEST EVER -- but I could take him or leave him as far as having that lusty fire that makes think 'let me me have some of THAT!" Even as I was watching the movie was was saying "good lrd, he's FINE, but I wouldn't fight over him.

Same for Denzel Washington. Women swoon over him like they'd wear him out. But I'd never fight over him. A young Clint Eastwood, though, and I'd scratch your eyes out for him.

Your thoughts on 'physical beauty' and 'physical attraction.'
It's an interesting question and I really don't know what it is or why I find some people attractive and some not. Never understood the George Clooney attraction for example. But Denzel Washington? Yes please - its all in the eyes. Colin Firth also does it big time for me- phew pass the smelling salts.
I'm also really attracted to men with brains (not in a zombie kind of way LOL) the physicist Brian Cox is absolutely top of my list - he's also very good looking. Hmm feeling in a bit of a flutter just thinking about it.
Pretty much everyone else I could take or leave.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,514,801 times
Personally I enjoy looking at men who are pretty, handsome, or gorgeous but I wouldn't date any of them. I dated a really, really handsome guy once (male model type) but I couldn't stand him so I gave him to my best friend one night while were all out. Yeah, he didn't care that I gave him up and after my friend spent time with him she stopped swooning over him. I did feel bad about "giving him up" to my friend but I was so drunk at the time and tired of his "blah" personality.

I hate that we keep harping on Paul Newman but he was a perfect example of having "IT" because of his compassionate heart and humble personality, and to top it off - great looks. To be honest too, I don't especially care for Tom Selleck's looks, even when he was younger, but his hairy chest and manly physique incite lust in me.

Arrogance or a person with no personality or depth of character is a big turn off for both men and women I think.

A beautiful exterior on a human being can be equated to a lovely rose. You enjoy looking at it but you don't want to pick to carry it around with you - unless you're a woman and you want to stick in your hair or a guy who wants to hand it to a girl. Other than that they are just pleasant to observe.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
ginger, I put George Clooney in the Paul Newman category for me...for a couple of reasons.

I never 'got' the Clooney attraction either -- in looks or personality -- until the last few years -- as he's matured, and I've also seen more about him, than just the he's a hunk crap. By all accounts he is fairly humble, takes his fame with a grain of salt -- AND as is known he has actively worked for international causes, such as Darfur.

I've grown to have a slight crush on him. He's by no means my 'OMG I can't be in a room alone with him' man -- but whereas before his handsomeness alone didn't do anything for me -- ADD his personality, and at least now I see an attraction of BRAINS and beauty.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,514,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
ginger, I put George Clooney in the Paul Newman category for me...for a couple of reasons.

I never 'got' the Clooney attraction either -- in looks or personality -- until the last few years -- as he's matured, and I've also seen more about him, than just the he's a hunk crap. By all accounts he is fairly humble, takes his fame with a grain of salt -- AND as is known he has actively worked for international causes, such as Darfur.

I've grown to have a slight crush on him. He's by no means my 'OMG I can't be in a room alone with him' man -- but whereas before his handsomeness alone didn't do anything for me -- ADD his personality, and at least now I see an attraction of BRAINS and beauty.
I agree selhars, let's put Clooney and his big brown eyes into the "IT" category with Paul Newman.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
To me, Gorgeous, Perfect and flawless imply to me that the person lacks uniqueness.

The girl that played Catnip in the Hunger games is a good example of someone who I find very attractive who has some unique features that are for from perfect.
"Catnip"??

Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
This definitely happens to me. The people that drive me crazy are most often not conventionally handsome (of course there are exceptions. I'll fight you for young Clint, for sure.)

I saw Paul Newman in The Long Hot Summer when I was 18ish. I was so turned on by him in that that it was probably unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty