Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's a really good Italian mud masque by Borghese. It makes your skin feel FANTASTIC and so nourished and well hydrated afterwards! But it's pretty messy and scary for the first thirty minutes.
I don't know about Borghese masque, but that got me thinking...
There are two types of make-up, one is the one you are talking about - it really has got nothing to do with seeking attention or "pleasing" anyone in particular; it's just the light touch, that makes you feel pulled together and ready to face the world, and then there is the evening maquillage and that's already a totally different story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Pulcino Pio View Post
Well it's not REALLY you, you were not born with makeup but whatever floats your boat.
You weren't born wearing clothes either, were you? But you wear them - and you mean to send a message with the clothes you choose to wear.

Do you use hair products? Deodorant? Do you brush your teeth with toothpaste? Do you think it's wrong to get braces for cosmetic purposes? What about covering up a really bad zit with a little concealer? Do you think it's wrong for women to shave their legs? Do you think men should grow long beards because it's more "natural" than shaving their faces?

Maybe we should all start farting and burping whenever, wherever, just because we were born without inhibitions about doing so - and it's natural.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't know about Borghese masque, but that got me thinking...
There are two types of make-up, one is the one you are talking about - it really has got nothing to do with seeking attention or "pleasing" anyone in particular; it's just the light touch, that makes you feel pulled together and ready to face the world, and then there is the evening maquillage and that's already a totally different story...
You're right about that. It's one thing to enhance what you've already got. It's another thing entirely to hide behind a mask you're using to try to cover up who you really are.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
You weren't born wearing clothes either, were you? But you wear them - and you mean to send a message with the clothes you choose to wear.

Do you use hair products? Deodorant? Do you brush your teeth with toothpaste? Do you think it's wrong to get braces for cosmetic purposes? What about covering up a really bad zit with a little concealer? Do you think it's wrong for women to shave their legs? Do you think men should grow long beards because it's more "natural" than shaving their faces?

No guilt here, baby.
Well, I guess we are back to a square one; an art to be a woman, and who and how defines it...

Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
You're right about that. It's one thing to enhance what you've already got. It's another thing entirely to hide behind a mask you're using to try to cover up who you really are.
Well either that ( it could be a case,) or intending to definitely make a statement.
( What kind of statement - it's again a different story... )

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:

Maybe we should all start farting and burping whenever, wherever, just because we were born without inhibitions about doing so - and it's natural.
Exactly. If we go for all natural, we can start eliminating way more things than makeup.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well, I guess we are back to a square one; an art to be a woman, and who and how defines it...
Right, and we're all different. I don't criticize women who don't wear makeup - it's their deal. My HUSBAND, however, often remarks on women who look "plain" to him. Poor man - he doesn't know what makeup does and doesn't do - all he knows is that a woman looks "plain" or "washed out" to him, and invariably when he points it out, I can tell the woman isn't wearing makeup.

Not that all women who don't wear makeup look washed out or plain - but some do.

My husband will also say about some women, "My gosh, why doesn't she DO something with her looks!" When he says that, it's nearly always because the woman is simply making no effort to look well groomed or "pulled together."

My husband prefers a more polished look on me when we go out. Of course, he doesn't care what I wear around the house as long as I'm clean and my hair is brushed.

We're a good fit in that department because I personally prefer to play up my assets a bit anyway. I really enjoy my little beauty routine each day.

I worked for a man once who called me into his office one day and said, in a very uncomfortable way, "What's not quite right about (he named a woman in the office)?" I said, "What do you mean? Is she acting odd?" "No," he said, obviously uncomfortable, "I don't know what it is - she always looks so pale and lifeless, so plain. I feel awful saying this. But she just NEEDS something. I don't know - and I don't know how to fix it."

I knew exactly what he was talking about. The woman in question had flat, colorless skin and nondescript features. She had pale skin and very dark hair that she did absolutely NOTHING to style wise - it was just shoulder length and straight. Period. She had lightish hazely eyes with very few lashes. She was, simply - plain as a mud fence. She also didn't smile all that much, which probably would have helped. She wore mostly gray, or black, or dark green clothing and very small accessories, if any.

It was just her personal style and there was absolutely nothing you could really put your finger on about that style that was offensive - it was just...lifeless. Like she had no definition to her face, her hair, or her body.

Yes, she was always neat and clean. That's about all I can say positively about her looks or style.

I said, "She doesn't wear any makeup or do anything to her hair."

"That's IT!" my boss exclaimed. "How can you make her improve on that?"

I looked at him in a bemused way and said, "I CAN'T. What am I going to say to her - ask her if she's ever thought of using a little lipgloss or eyeliner? Of course she's THOUGHT if it - and decided not to!"

Sheeze!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I'm bemused by all this. My wife never wears any makeup--not even at our wedding!--and I think she looks fine. She just looks like herself. I'm quite sure so-called "beauty products" wouldn't do anything to improve her appearance. In fact, that quoted sentence sounds kind of hysterical. Imagine a perfectly normal person in such a state! When someone has to exaggerate so much, I have to wonder if they really believe what they're saying.

I wish everyone here listed the area they live in, because I suspect that what seems normal in one place could be a horror a few hundred miles away, but there's no way to check it. The people we're friends with here (suburbs of Boston) are techies, outdoors people and students, and total lack of makeup is normal, and I think for us a full face of it would seem freaky. The men don't expect it, and nor do the women. It's kind of sad that a women feels she needs concealment to face the world, and even more sad if women are saying other women routinely need it too. There are enough problems in the world that I just can't see the point of creating new ones! All anyone needs to do is accept themselves and other people. Seems easy enough.

It was in no way hysterical or exaggerated. Just a realistic, objective observation of what my face tends to look like first thing in the morning. I am very pale with thin, translucent skin, I have deep-set eyes, genetic dark circles not helped by sleep, and my nose tends to get oily. All things that are easily visible, tend to give a tired, sallow, and sickly appearance, and are pretty easily concealed with makeup. Of course I believe it, because it's fact.
I'm happy for your wife; I know women who never wear makeup and look great - they tend to have naturally great skin tone, even features, etc. I'm not one of them. I also know some that don't wear makeup and don't look so great, and could in fact look much much better if they did. If they don't care, it's their choice. Personally, I want to look the best I can with what I've been given.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM

95 posts, read 198,453 times
Quote:

Bad analogy, try again.

Grooming is usually done for health reasons.(hair products, toothpaste) Wearing a deodorant,using mouthwash, brushing your teeth and avoiding farting or burping is done because we don't want to inconvenience other people. I don't see how a face without makeup or a zit without concealer can be an inconvenience.

Why did you feel a need to tell us what your husband and male boss thought about some women without makeup? Funny how both your example involve males. Is a man's opinion more valuable than a woman's? I see you even write "husband" in capital letters. If these women were not pursuing a romantic relationship with these men, who cares if these women don't look good enough for them? Why do these men think women must be dolled up all the time? Your stupid boss should worry about performance and your "HUSBAND" in capital letters frankly needs to stop being so judgmental.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Pulcino Pio View Post
Bad analogy, try again.

Grooming is usually done for health reasons.(hair products, toothpaste) Wearing a deodorant,using mouthwash, brushing your teeth and avoiding farting or burping is done because we don't want to inconvenience other people. I don't see how a face without makeup or a zit without concealer can be an inconvenience.

Why did you feel a need to tell us what your husband and male boss thought about some women without makeup? Funny how both your example involve males. Is a man's opinion more valuable than a woman's? I see you even write "husband" in capital letters. If these women were not pursuing a romantic relationship with these men, who cares if these women don't look good enough for them? Why do these men think women must be dolled up all the time? Your stupid boss should worry about performance and your "HUSBAND" in capital letters frankly needs to stop being so judgmental.
My "stupid boss" is the number one franchisee in an international company, and also greatly respects women.

When I capitalized HUSBAND (one time in a post that used the word repeatedly) it was because I was emphasizing the word (as in speech inflection) in print, not because I think the word is special somehow. I thought that was obvious but you apparently didn't GET IT. You apparently didn't notice that I also capitalized the word THOUGHT in the post (hmmmm, what sinister meaning does THAT hold....?). And others as well, come to think of it.

I didn't give just male examples, by the way. I also gave my own opinion - as a female.

Neither man I mentioned thinks women should be "dolled up" all the time - they simply prefer women in the professional world or in social settings to be well groomed and polished looking. By the way, they prefer that men are well groomed as well - and both of them practice what they believe.

And my husband has every right to have an opinion on the matter of whether or not women are plain or beautiful or anything in between, and he also has the right to express that opinion to me, his WIFE, in private. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Maybe YOU need to stop being so judgmental.

You know what - I think you're a bit touchy on the whole "male opinion" issue. Men have opinions about how women look - just as women do. I'm giving some opinions from a variety of perspectives, not just my own personal perspective.

And please quit kidding yourself or trying to peddle the concept that grooming is not done "usually" for health reasons or to avoid inconveniencing others. YOU (there go those capital letters again - LOOK OUT!) used the analogy of "not being born with makeup on" as if that was some sort of standard to go by. We're also not born wearing any clothes. We (yes, you too) choose particular styles of clothes in order to send a message. You don't just wear clothing "not to inconvenience others."

Men who shave their beards do so, in nearly all cases, for reasons more related to how they want to look, the image they want to convey, rather than for safety reasons or because they don't want to "inconvenience others."

When a person uses hair care products such as silicone smoothers, or hair spray, or curling irons or flat irons, or gel, you name it - it's not to avoid inconveniencing others, it's to enhance their appearance, to convey an image or express themselves.

By the way, you didn't answer any of my questions, so I'll ask them again:

Why do you wear clothing styles that you believe are attractive on you? It's surely not just to avoid inconveniencing others. Why don't you just wear strictly utilitarian clothing, paying no attention to the color or style, only whether or not the item is functional?

Do you use any styling products on your hair? Why or why not?

Do you think it's wrong to get braces for cosmetic purposes? Why or why not?

Do you think men should grow long beards because it's more "natural" than shaving their faces? Why or why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty