Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 11:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Take the pictures again, but smile without makeup and frown with it.

It seems like every pair of pictures needs to be done so there are other reasons to dislike the woman without makeup. Expression, lighting, her hair's a mess--never a fair comparison. Can it be because people are afraid the whole concept is bogus?

Oh, of course no woman would smile without her makeup on, because she'd be feeling so humiliated. Right.
Hey, I thought I would take you up on the challenge, in a way. When I was getting dressed this morning, I decided to take a photo of myself with no makeup on, smiling, and then I took a photo of myself in the exact same lighting, same position, same expression - as close to identical to the other photo as I could manage - except this time wearing makeup.

I don't know which look others prefer, but I know which look I prefer - which is really all that matters!

Before:

After:

Sorry - not great quality photos, but it's hard to take good photos of oneself with a cell phone! Or it is for me, anyway. Besides feeling sort of stupid, I am clumsy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Wow, you have great skin and bone structure and don't need makeup! Some of us after 4 decades or so, on the other hand, would turn passersby to stone if we went outside without our war paint applied with a trowel.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Wow, you have great skin and bone structure and don't need makeup! Some of us after 4 decades or so, on the other hand, would turn passersby to stone if we went outside without our war paint applied with a trowel.
LOL well thank you - and I AM grateful that I have good skin tone, but I think I look sallow without some foundation and blush (I have an olive undertone to my skin and can look positively GREEN sometimes!). Also, though I'm not cursed with pronounced wrinkles or much sagging, I do have very dark circles under my eyes - and in the inside corners of my eyes for some weird reason - and I really hate those. Foundation helps a lot in that regard as well.

Also, maybe I am just a typical Southern woman, but I can hardly bear to even walk around inside my house without tinted lip gloss on! This gal likes a little color to her face!

When I was younger I had thicker eyelashes and my eyes were my best feature. Now I feel they need a little extra "help." If I could only choose two items of makeup, they would be lipgloss and mascara!

That being said, I've found that as I get older, less makeup is better than more makeup. What I mean is that harsh lines and pronounced definition just starts looking plain horrible. So I use very little eye makeup (no shadows for instance) other than mascara, and I DEFINITELY don't "line my lips" or try to "sculpt my face" with dark blushers. Soft definition and natural colors seem to work best on older women like myself.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:47 PM

95 posts, read 198,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My "stupid boss" is the number one franchisee in an international company, and also greatly respects women.

By the way, you didn't answer any of my questions, so I'll ask them again:

Why do you wear clothing styles that you believe are attractive on you? It's surely not just to avoid inconveniencing others. Why don't you just wear strictly utilitarian clothing, paying no attention to the color or style, only whether or not the item is functional?

Do you use any styling products on your hair? Why or why not?

Do you think it's wrong to get braces for cosmetic purposes? Why or why not?

Do you think men should grow long beards because it's more "natural" than shaving their faces? Why or why not?
Your boss asked you to tell your coworker to apply makeup. Yeah sure he thinks highly of women's abilities and qualifications. By the way I'm not "touchy" about men's opinion, I'm touchy about women who act like men's opinion are more important than women's or even their own. Like some men are God's gift to humanity. I know i know your boss is very sucessful and your husband is very handsome. You don't wanna see it but there is a reason why you only quoted men's opinion and not a single woman besides yourself.

About your questions I already answered them. You will get arrested if you go out naked or fired if you don't wipe your behind or fart at work. Let's use some common sense please.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Pulcino Pio View Post
Your boss asked you to tell your coworker to apply makeup. Yeah sure he thinks highly of women's abilities and qualifications. By the way I'm not "touchy" about men's opinion, I'm touchy about women who act like men's opinion are more important than women's or even their own. Like some men are God's gift to humanity. I know i know your boss is very sucessful and your husband is very handsome. You don't wanna see it but there is a reason why you only quoted men's opinion and not a single woman besides yourself.

About your questions I already answered them. You will get arrested if you go out naked or fired if you don't wipe your behind or fart at work. Let's use some common sense please.
You're still evading my questions - and it's obvious by the way.

Your one dimensional opinion was clearly stated - People do (or should) dress a certain way in order not to inconvenience others and to avoid being arrested. They don't fart at work in order to keep their jobs. Surely you know that you haven't even begun to address the issues I asked you about.

I didn't ask you why you wore clothes at all. What I asked you is why you make any effort to wear clothes that look good on you, or a particular color or pattern. You don't just wear clothes to avoid being arrested or to avoid inconveniencing others.

I also asked you what hair products you use, and why you use them. You didn't answer that question either. Surely you know that all you have to do is keep your hair reasonably clean and in a utilitarian style - there's no need other than personal vanity to use hair spray, or flat irons, or to have hair cut in a layered style (just a few examples out of many).

I also asked you if you think men should just let their beards grow - since beards are a naturally occurring facial thing with most men, and except in rare cases they're not a safety hazard or any sort of inconvenience to others. You didn't answer that question either. Obviously men choose a style of facial hair, or to shave, based not on whether or not others will be offended, but as an indicator of their own personal style. But shaving is not "natural."

Shaving legs isn't natural either, for that matter, or shaving armpits. Do you shave yours?

As for men being God's gift to humanity - I wouldn't go that far with a general statement, though I do thank God every day for bringing my husband into my life - as well as my former male boss, who to this day remains one of my dearest friends.

I gave two examples of mens' opinions and two examples of women's opinions - mine and my co-worker who didn't wear makeup. I made it clear in my post, and to my boss, that this was HER choice and her opinion and I wasn't getting involved in asking her to consider wearing a bit of makeup.

I didn't focus on the opinions of only men. Hell, I've been going on for pages about my own female opinion. Or perhaps you haven't noticed that.

Now - please answer my questions. Or don't - but just know that your evasion is blatant. Here they are, one more time, in case you missed them (again):

Quote:
Why do you wear clothing styles that you believe are attractive on you? It's surely not just to avoid inconveniencing others. Why don't you just wear strictly utilitarian clothing, paying no attention to the color or style, only whether or not the item is functional?

Do you use any styling products on your hair? Why or why not?

Do you think it's wrong to get braces for cosmetic purposes? Why or why not?

Do you think men should grow long beards because it's more "natural" than shaving their faces? Why or why not?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM

219 posts, read 436,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
There is a disconnect that I have been observing in recent years, in the way that women alter their appearance and in what men actually find attractive. For the sake of this conversation, lets assume that we are talking about heterosexual women, who traditionally look for some sort of commitment from their future mate. Of course plenty of women in today's world also seek ONS and companionship other than a long term relationship or marriage, lets just stick to this traditional view for a moment.

Women spend insane amounts of money and effort, in order to be seen attractive to the opposite sex. They go as far as putting pounds of artificial dirt and chemicals on their faces and bodies, which only seems normal for someone living in this civilization, but is rather ridiculous as a concept. Many go under the knife in order to improve their appearance via breast augmentation, butt implants, liposuction, and countless other examples of plastic surgery.

They spend their afternoons shopping for overpriced shoes, purses and clothes. They get the hair removal done frequently, go to tanning salons, massage parlors and workout often to be in great shape. Most of this is done in order to be more attractive to men. WHile some claim that they do it in order to feel good about themselves, and a good case can be made for someone working out for other reasons than being attractive, I believe that underlying motive still remains the same, attraction.

However, as a man, I don't find much of it attractive at all. Fake boobs, fake butts, too much make up - no thank you. I much, much prefer a natural woman, who does take care of herself by working out, proper nutrition and proper hygiene, but stays away from makeup overload, dressing too sexy, plastic surgery and other waste of time and money. I want a woman who is proud of her long hair and her feminine features as given at birth, all natural. A little make up is perfectly fine, but I can't say that I have ever found lipstick that completely changes your lip color as attractive at all. Most of these things simply make you unattractive and ensure that I will not approach.

WHile many will say that this is my opinion and Im perfectly entitled to it, talking to other guys, shockingly most all echo my stance. Im talking about normal guys, who work for a living and try to do their best in the short time given on this earth. The type of guys that you will end up married to and guys that will be your boyfriends, once you realize that prince charming and Mr. perfect are only fictional characters. We are all turned off by the fake beauty and much prefer a natural woman, who looks like the way she was created. Fake boobs for example are pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

The only guys who are interested in fake body parts and overdone makeup as well as slutty clothing, are guys who subscribe to the pump and dump philosophy and disrespect women from every angle. They want nothing much to do with you, other than 30 minutes (if you're lucky) of some sloppy sex. These guys aren't the guys you want much to do with, unless you are also only looking to get laid and couldn't care less.

I assume this disconnect comes from the media, cosmo magazines, wonderful movies like "STD and the city", hollywood who tell women what guys want. They are telling women that they must look like the cover model of the magazine in order to be desired. It couldn't be any further away from the truth. We love natural women, because their femininity doesn't need a dress up and fake alterations. It is perfect and magical, just the way it is.

Agree, disagree, give me some feedback.
DUDE! You sound like you need an emergency airlift to beachside Calilfornia! Seriously, are you for real? Is that what the women are like where you're at? Or is this your Saturday Night Live comedy routine?

Let me explain something about women in the West, little bro. I've lived in CO and I'm in Cali now, where I was raised. In CO, it's all about outdoor sports. Women do mountain biking, some run marathons, others do kayaking, hiking, swimming. The icing on the cake for dudes as well as dudettes is making the scene at the hot springs, and there are plenty of those around the state. There's no use for makeup in a place like that, not to mention, around the hotsprings, there's not much use even for clothes. Colorado women aren't into makeup, or any other artifice, take my word for it, my sad man.

Cali is like CO due to the generous geography full of beaches. It's def a fun-in-the-sun place. At the beach or poolside, dig it--no makeup needed. And since everyone's seen them already without it, why would a woman cake it on when she's on the street or hanging at a concert with her posse? Around the Bay Area, the style is casual, and that goes for makeup, along with everything else. We like our healthy, natural, Cali gals. You should do yourself a favor and roll on out here and check 'em out. You'll be glad you did. As long as you avoid LA and vicinity. It's different down there, know what I'm saying?

Stay cool, bro. If it's as bad as you say where you are (for real?), relief is but a plane ride away. Don't forget to pack your shades.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek View Post
DUDE! You sound like you need an emergency airlift to beachside Calilfornia! Seriously, are you for real? Is that what the women are like where you're at? Or is this your Saturday Night Live comedy routine?

Let me explain something about women in the West, little bro. I've lived in CO and I'm in Cali now, where I was raised. In CO, it's all about outdoor sports. Women do mountain biking, some run marathons, others do kayaking, hiking, swimming. The icing on the cake for dudes as well as dudettes is making the scene at the hot springs, and there are plenty of those around the state. There's no use for makeup in a place like that, not to mention, around the hotsprings, there's not much use even for clothes. Colorado women aren't into makeup, or any other artifice, take my word for it, my sad man.

Cali is like CO due to the generous geography full of beaches. It's def a fun-in-the-sun place. At the beach or poolside, dig it--no makeup needed. And since everyone's seen them already without it, why would a woman cake it on when she's on the street or hanging at a concert with her posse? Around the Bay Area, the style is casual, and that goes for makeup, along with everything else. We like our healthy, natural, Cali gals. You should do yourself a favor and roll on out here and check 'em out. You'll be glad you did. As long as you avoid LA and vicinity. It's different down there, know what I'm saying?

Stay cool, bro. If it's as bad as you say where you are (for real?), relief is but a plane ride away. Don't forget to pack your shades.
Oh my gosh, I think you're serious - I think you really do believe that these girls aren't wearing makeup!

(Nearly every photo above is from an ad advertising waterproof makeup, makeup for sports, or how to achieve "the natural look" with makeup.)

I'm just sayin'.

That being said, I thought your post was fabulously witty!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, I think you're serious - I think you really do believe that these girls aren't wearing makeup
not to mention that about 95% of women don't look like these *professional models* to begin with
But yes, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what these men envision when they talk about 'natural' girls

This is the only one that looks like she's not wearing any makeup to me (she might be, but she's got the most 'natural' look going on out of all of them)

Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
There are women for sure who are pretty enough that they can get away with not wearing makeup...but not only are these far and in between, they also still do tend to look even better and prettier with a bit of makeup. NOT talking about caked-on-applied-with-a-trowel-drag-queen makeup here.
The rest of us - we need the help to look presentable. Not to mention that, as I said, it's just plain fun. Personally I happen to love dramatic eye makeup or smokey eye complete with liner and lots of lashes and sparkly shadow, I think it's funky and sexy, like the makeup equivalent of a sexy evening dress, so what if it's not 'natural', neither are lots of other things, who cares??

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
not to mention that about 95% of women don't look like these *professional models* to begin with
But yes, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what these men envision when they talk about 'natural' girls

This is the only one that looks like she's not wearing any makeup to me (she might be, but she's got the most 'natural' look going on out of all of them)

Actually, she was appearing on an ad for waterproof makeup so I'm assuming that she's wearing makeup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty