Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 32,200 times

Advertisements

To cut a long story short I recently moved and forgot make up wipes and cleanser so for the first three days I washed the make up off with the liquid hand soap I had.

I now, assuming the hand soap cause the problem, have a tight patch on my cheeks which are dry, you can't really see it but I can feel it to touch.

I've upped my water in take, I've stopped wearing make up for a while but still wash my face with an oil of olay moisturizing pink soap, I've also put Eight Hour cream on, I've tried various fragrant free creams for dry skin but nothing seems to be making a difference.

If I kept following the above, how long would you consider waiting before trying something else ?

Are there any products sworn by for this type of dryness ?

Any help, tips would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Try oil cleansing with olive oil. I am generally really dry, and i have tried this a few times and been really happy with the results. And it is basically free. Moisten a cotton pad with olive oil (it is about a teaspoons worth). Rub it on (kinda like toner). It might take a few tries to get all of the dirt off. your cotton pad will look clean once your skin is clean. Then "rinse" off with toner. You should not feel tight when you are done. Moisturize and follow the rest of your routine.

Also, there are tons of other oil recommendations. I use olive since it is "cheap" and I always have it in abundance. Argan, Jojoba and many more also work. Google it.

Try this for a few days and see it it helps.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Agree. Or a cream cleanser of your choice.

Normally I don't use vaseline on my face but if I only use it for a day I am ok. Aquaphor (healing ointment) is even better. If I am worried about breakouts I use aloe gel or neosporin. Don't exfoliate with anything while your skin is dry like that, it can make it worse and take longer to heal.

I notice a change overnight with the petroleum based products like aquaphor/vaseline/neosporin. Aloe takes less than a week. Aloe is best for allergic rash dry skin (for me) from products. Since its water based it doesn't trap any irritants in the skin.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingK View Post
To cut a long story short I recently moved and forgot make up wipes and cleanser so for the first three days I washed the make up off with the liquid hand soap I had.

I now, assuming the hand soap cause the problem, have a tight patch on my cheeks which are dry, you can't really see it but I can feel it to touch.

I've upped my water in take, I've stopped wearing make up for a while but still wash my face with an oil of olay moisturizing pink soap, I've also put Eight Hour cream on, I've tried various fragrant free creams for dry skin but nothing seems to be making a difference.

If I kept following the above, how long would you consider waiting before trying something else ?

Are there any products sworn by for this type of dryness ?

Any help, tips would be appreciated
Hmmm...
Oil might not work on your type of skin, try using sour-cream instead. ( Hint; use Daisy or Breakstone's brand ( or any other brand that's 100% cream and no chemicals.)

Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Dancing -- if the patch doesn't go away in a few more days, go to the doctor. You might have had an allergic reaction to the hand soap's ingredients and need some sort of prescription cream to deal with it.

I had a reaction to soy in a skin care line, and just stopping it didn't make the reaction go away. I needed meds.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I didn't know Elizabeth Arden still made Eight Hour Cream! I'm surprised it hasn't helped. I echo the thoughts about Aquaphor. My dermatologist suggested I use it at night on my dry, eczema-prone eyelids, and it works well. I used it all winter with good results.

Another cream to try is Cetaphil. Cetaphil locks moisture in. You apply it over damp skin. I even apply over wet skin. I can't remember if Cetaphil makes a product specifically for the face, but I used plain Cetaphil on my face for several years, and it moisturized well.

If you can't make it better yourself, it would be best to see a dermatologist.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 AM

18 posts, read 32,200 times
Thanks for the tips, I'll give the olive oil tip a go first since I already have some here

Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Gentle exfoliation and day and night time moisturizing is key to not having dry skin. Exfoliate gently at least 3 times a week - more as you age - whatever your skin will tolerate. There are exfoliating agents in good night and day creams, the sonic facial brushes do a fabulous job - either with the exfoliating soaps or even just regular soap and water. I am older so I exfoliate every day....when I was younger, I couldn't figure out why my face was so dry - I found out that things like air conditioned and heated environments are very drying and that exfoliating and good moisturizing (both day and night for all kinds of skin) is key to supple soft non-flaky skin.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-06-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Shea butter.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hmmm...
Oil might not work on your type of skin, try using sour-cream instead. ( Hint; use Daisy or Breakstone's brand ( or any other brand that's 100% cream and no chemicals.)

Dairy based natural rinses are soothing. Honey water too. (rinse with clear water after)
I have used regular cream (made for homemade whipping cream)
Thanks for the reminder.

If you like natural stuff mango mashed with yogurt is another good one. I would try it when the irritation has gone down. Do not exfoliate dry skin though manually or with any high acid bases (like fruit) until it has returned to normal and doesn't feel tight anymore.It will most likely start to spot flake if it does at all (like sunburn). You can roll that dead damaged skin off gently with your clean fingertips in the meantime. Scrubbing your skin as is would be like scrubbing off a burn or scab. It may be dead and dry but its protecting the fresh skin below until its ready to go on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty