Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times

Advertisements

My clothes are so difficult to iron and I'm getting frustrated since I can't wear half my wardrobe.

I bought a cheapish (30$) steamer and it worked ok, but not great. My biggest issue is with cotton cause as soon as I wear it, it wrinkles from sitting down. Someone told me that starching cotton would prevent wrinkles as you wear your clothes. Is that true?

How do you all iron out your clothes/prevent wrinkles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Starching might help, but some people are wrinklers. I gave up pressing hubby's shirts because no matter what in the hour it took him to get to work, the shirt looked like he slept in it.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
We never iron anything. (If you pull them out of the dryer immediately after the dryer stops spinning, there are hardly any wrinkles.) And, if you wear a shirt for a couple minutes, your body's warmth and natural moisture pretty much remove any wrinkles anyway.

Life is too short to iron clothes or fold socks or fold towels.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We never iron anything. (If you pull them out of the dryer immediately after the dryer stops spinning, there are hardly any wrinkles.) And, if you wear a shirt for a couple minutes, your body's warmth and natural moisture pretty much remove any wrinkles anyway.

Life is too short to iron clothes or fold socks or fold towels.

I dont' put most of my clothes in the dryer. I have too many delicates. very few of my dresses go in the dryer. I pretty much only dry my pants, regular tops and tank tops and some skirts.

Tallysmom-well I'll try starching..hopefully it helps. my clothes wrinkle from sitting on it, like a cotton skirt..its annoying.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
my clothes wrinkle from sitting on it, like a cotton skirt..its annoying.
Ironing will not help that....

Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ironing will not help that....
Evidently. so what does help it?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Try a better steamer? I recommend a Jiffy. It will not only perform better but is a wise investment that will lengthen the life of your clothes over ironing.

Oddly if there is too much humidity in the air it will make your steamer fail and it will generally cause more wrinkles. If you live in a super humid environment consider combating wrinkles with either a higher quality cotton, a blend of cotton and a synthetic, or even all synthetic.

I understand none of this is ideal for your exact situation now.

Last edited by Merovee; 04-10-2013 at 10:09 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Last time I ironed anything was in the 90's.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I buy 100% cotton and mostly jersey material. I wash it and hang it up to dry. Done. Corduroy pants in winter, same thing. Gauzy cotton skirts in summer or cotton jersey fabric, no ironing. I hate clothes dryers except for sheets and towels. Husband--well he'd better wear cotton jersey polo shirts or T shirts but if he has a shirt that needs ironing it may take me a while to get motivated. His pants get hung up to dry, inner seam to inner seam and hand creased if needed. I MAY have to iron them a little bit.

You can also buy cotton with a little bit of spandex in it and just let it line dry and it probably won't need ironing. I have a skirt like that. There are steamers and people do recommend some good ones but I'm getting by without one and just occasional ironing.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Buy a good quality steam iron
if you must tumble dry then take the items out before they are crispy dry
spray starch will help get the creases out and stop too many new creases being made, spray lightly and iron quickly.

I've always ironed, I wouldn't dream of going out in clothes straight out of the drier. I prefer not to look like I've just got out of bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty