Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,340,508 times

Advertisements

I recently got a Halle Berry type cut. At first i thought it was too short, but I've received so many compliments on it! I truly love it, its so easy to maintain. And it really flatters my face and makes me look younger. I despise hair in my face. I've had stylists just assume I want to look like some dippy model with half her face covered in hair and had to argue I do NOT want bangs half in my eyes That might look good in a photo, but try living with it, constantly brushing it off your face so you can see I like to be able to bend my head down, like to write, type, etc, and not have to brush hair out of my eyes. Ok, rant over.......oh, BTW, I think long, loose hair looks ridiculous on an "older" woman, anyways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,724,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I recently got a Halle Berry type cut. At first i thought it was too short, but I've received so many compliments on it! I truly love it, its so easy to maintain. And it really flatters my face and makes me look younger. I despise hair in my face. I've had stylists just assume I want to look like some dippy model with half her face covered in hair and had to argue I do NOT want bangs half in my eyes That might look good in a photo, but try living with it, constantly brushing it off your face so you can see I like to be able to bend my head down, like to write, type, etc, and not have to brush hair out of my eyes. Ok, rant over.......oh, BTW, I think long, loose hair looks ridiculous on an "older" woman, anyways!
I never understood where this comes from. My 21 year old son was saying something about my mom's hair (hers is long and she is 70) and we were talking about how she could use some color advice as her current color choice looks pretty bad with her skin tone, but he said "Whatever she does, I hope she doesn't do that thing that most women her age do and go for the dude haircut..." and I explained to him that a LOT of people believe that women over a certain age should not wear their hair long. He was truly blown away, had no idea that was a 'thing'.

I admit I don't get it either. I don't see what age has to do with hair being short or long, personally. It should depend on if it flatters or not. One of my friends is close to fifty and wears her hair long, it always looks great because she gets a good cut/style. My SIL who is in her early 50's wears hers long but does nothing with it so it is long, gray, and always in a braid. Looks awful on her. It really should be based on the person's face shape, the color, the cut, all those things it was based on before a certain age IMO.

I am about to be 42 and my hair is long, and I think it's fine but in need of some 'direction' as it were.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,933,983 times
Thanks for all the responses u guys! I'm still deciding , taking my time. My comment about my husband liking long hair doesn't sway my decision , he doesn't decide how I wear my hair!!! He refuses to do anything but shave his head so the man has no style decisions in the hair dept ... Thankfully shorter hair makes my face look thinner, I've been told so I'm not too worried about how ill look but I am considering the maintenance of it :-) . I still feel its a fun look, and pony tail hair is getting boring ( no offense to long haired people) so may e by this time next week ill have it! Time will tell :-)

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 AM

687 posts, read 1,490,216 times
I love this haircut. My hair is super thick and wavy, and insists on falling forward. If it wouldn't take a helmet of hairspray to MAYBE keep it out of my face, I'd do this in a heartbeat!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,805,413 times
I think some women look great in a short cut. Some thoughts that came to mind is some short cuts actually take more work to do everyday. Also I recall from living in FL my hair would get frizzy and so I pulled it back often. It may be my texture hair or that I am not a big product person so that may have helped it settle down. Good luck with what you decide.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM

910 posts, read 2,287,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
So I'm notorious for not being afraid to just go for it with my hair. I've never dyed it weird colors but as far as hair length I've not been afraid to just say go for it.. Currently my hair is shoulder length strawberry blonde hair and I've had it this short before but never this style. My husband prefers me with long hair, but I live in south Fla. Its over 90 most of the year and I just end up throwing it in a pony tail. I like to stay a little edgy and fun like myself :-).. Here's this cut I've wanted for a long time but I told my hubs I'd grow it out. I have the right face structure and everyone loves me with short hair. I need some chick opinions on it, or guys if you wanna..

(the one turned to the side)

'
Oh Gosh, I don't want to sound mean but in order to be honest the first thing that came to mind was those British rockers of maybe a few decades ago, are sure you want to remind people of that...? But it's your call, however, if I were you I'd rather ask a few of my REAL friends or relatives, especially those that I can trust to be painfully honest, for an opinion rather than a bunch of strangers who don't even know how you look. It's important to ask them before because once you do it they will all say "you look great!" even if inside they think "Oh snap, what the heck did she do???", most people just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so they'll just tell us what they think we want to hear.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM

910 posts, read 2,287,284 times
Hey Sweetbottoms, I want to comment about what you said about the heat in S. FL and your hair since I lived in WPB for 13 years and my wavy/curly hair drove me nuts there during the first years, I even chemically straightened it once trying to deal with the frizz, but that only damaged my hair. But what truly saved me was to adopt the Curly Girl routine, I wrote about it on this other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/hair-...shampoo-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty