Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM

90 posts, read 203,153 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 5 feet petite woman and would love to wear those long maxi dresses, but have been told short women shouldn't wear long dresses. Is this true?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I just recently bought two maxi dresses; they are petite versions of the maxi dress.
It's still very long on me, but I'm not walking on the dress. I'm 5'2 for context. I can give you the link to the site if you direct message me.

I think you should wear whatever looks good on you; who's to say that a long dress wouldn't look good on you? There are petite versions of maxi dresses so try searching for those; you'll probably have more luck online. I just did a quick search on Oldnavy.com and they have some maxi dresses in their petite collection.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM

90 posts, read 203,153 times
Ah ha, I never thought about looking in the petite section.
Thank you for your response. I will direct message you for the link.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I think they usually looks best on tall or strait builds. Sometimes they can make short people look squatty depending on the body shape.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think it depends on your overall build, not just height.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM

119 posts, read 245,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thesport View Post
Hi all,

I'm a 5 feet petite woman and would love to wear those long maxi dresses, but have been told short women shouldn't wear long dresses. Is this true?

What are your thoughts?

no way! I'm 5'4' and I get so many compliments in maxis.

If you feel like you need a boost, throw on a pair of wedges. It will look glam and you can hide them under your dress if you are self-conscious about wearing anything too high. I always feel like I look skanky when I wear anything over 3' but with a maxi you can put on your big girl shoes

Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think they usually looks best on tall or strait builds. Sometimes they can make short people look squatty depending on the body shape.
Not true! Just need to find the right cut of dress and it can actually visually elongate you and make you look taller. I'm 5'4 and just discovered maxis two years ago and was surprised how good it looks! I've also seen even shorter women look great in them. Just make sure it's the right length (have it as long as possible but not trailing on the ground) and not too voluminous, go for a more fitted cut, empire waists are good too as long as they don't pouf out too much. And go for a solid color or stripe rather than a busy print.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Not true! Just need to find the right cut of dress and it can actually visually elongate you and make you look taller. I'm 5'4 and just discovered maxis two years ago and was surprised how good it looks! I've also seen even shorter women look great in them. Just make sure it's the right length (have it as long as possible but not trailing on the ground) and not too voluminous, go for a more fitted cut, empire waists are good too as long as they don't pouf out too much. And go for a solid color or stripe rather than a busy print.
Definitely agree on solid color or even teeny tiny print for petite frames. Im slightly taller and don't care for them on myself. They just look off or skanky on my shape. (dramatic hourglass - 5'7'' and up is what I consider "tall", im not that.lol )

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I am short too and have been thinking about one. I think it depends more on your body type than height.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Maybe for a beach cover-up but generally speaking, no - most average weight women look bext in dresses that show some leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty