Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

and tops like this

Would you wear steampunk/victorian clothing as everyday wear?-shirt1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I concur with Calipoppy , I think you can tone Steampunk down quite a lot and still look distinctive. Take it down a notch to make it work in daytime situations. Add a few flourishes and accessorize or go a more subtle version of it. Steampunk can be as simple or as OTT as you make it in my opinion.

If I was the perfect shape I think I would wear a lot of Steampunk stuff, the less outre stuff. I love the fact it can be so feminine and the historical aspect of it.
Agree, If I were much younger and less busty, I would have love to sport some of these looks, especially dress #3 in the first pic group and the dress in pic 2 grouping, that's pictured in both a black and a white version. The white shirt, I would worn that at any age when I was going to the office. I'm a big fan of victorian fashions; well in my other life that is.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
I really like the particular kind of Steampunk Clothing, however are not sure can be We would look ridiculous wearing all of them because everyday wear.

Posted by|brucewilliam
http://www.gothicrockabilly.com/

Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
I'd like to see more people wearing more interesting less boring clothes everyday.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 AM

338 posts, read 421,169 times
(Yes, I know this thread is a year old. Live with it.)

I wouldn't, but then, I saw this 40-something guy at Goodwill earlier today (yesterday?) who looked like 1925 had swallowed him then vomited him back up. Newsboy hat, knickers and everything. Yes, looking at (playing with) a stereo receiver and DVD video hardware, and with those awful little earphone things in his ears.

From a strictly 2010s standpoint, he looked absolutely ridiculous. To each his own, I guess.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:17 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
I think it can be done very easily mixing and matching steampunk pieces with more subtle, every day ones. You may get some stares because it is still not mainstream and over the top but who cares?! If you are not one to care what others think (I know I don't), then you should wear it whenever you like.

As long as you don't wear clothes that are obvious cosplay pieces along with heavy steampunk accessories, you can pull the look off for every day. The clothes posted here are a great start.

I've been wanting to before but now I plan to start incorporating Punk Lolita with Goth Lolita mixed in (it still has the Victorian/Edwaridan look) into my every day wardrobe so I can relate. I live in Arlington, TX so I'm sure I'll stand out but I don't care lol.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So,I really like the style of clothing,but am not sure is I would look silly wearing them as everyday wear.
Well,not everyday as I wear nursing uniforms 70% of the time,but things like running to the store etc..
The corset skirts and some of the shirts look like they won't get too hot in the summer,but the thing is they look like they are form fitting without completely showing too much skin.
Of course,I won't get the more outrageous clothing like the bustle skirts,but the clothing looks feminine.
I was just musing this same issue in my mind. Its been awhile, but we had a similar discussion here before. I wear "period" clothing as everyday wear quite often.Woolen riding pants, with suspenders, cotton and muslin shirts, etc. My favorite Winter coat is my cavalry style greatcoat, replete with extra long cape and roll up/down sleeves.

My pants are the 19th century style riding pant, with double layered material in the seat and inner thigh, pegged down toward the ankle and calf to be tucked into high, pull on boots, though they can also be worn over the boots as well. Tucked in is for mounted use.

The coat draws attention. The pants and shirts, not so much. I wish I could post pics from my phone, but alas, this not to be. I love my wool, and the late 1800s styling as well. It is utilitarian, comfortable (I have an Alpaca wool shell jacket that is Heaven on Earth) , to my mind, good looking, and unique.

Muslin is great Summer material. It breathes, and also is great for underwear as well as outer.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:30 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I was just musing this same issue in my mind. Its been awhile, but we had a similar discussion here before. I wear "period" clothing as everyday wear quite often.Woolen riding pants, with suspenders, cotton and muslin shirts, etc. My favorite Winter coat is my cavalry style greatcoat, replete with extra long cape and roll up/down sleeves.

My pants are the 19th century style riding pant, with double layered material in the seat and inner thigh, pegged down toward the ankle and calf to be tucked into high, pull on boots, though they can also be worn over the boots as well. Tucked in is for mounted use.

The coat draws attention. The pants and shirts, not so much. I wish I could post pics from my phone, but alas, this not to be. I love my wool, and the late 1800s styling as well. It is utilitarian, comfortable (I have an Alpaca wool shell jacket that is Heaven on Earth) , to my mind, good looking, and unique.

Muslin is great Summer material. It breathes, and also is great for underwear as well as outer.
Victorian/Edwardian clothing looks sexy without showing lots of skin.

I still would not wear a corset outside though.

Is your coat ankle length?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:39 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Victorian/Edwardian clothing looks sexy without showing lots of skin.

I still would not wear a corset outside though.

Is your coat ankle length?
My coat comes to just below the knee. Its a mounted coat , Union cavalry style. But, its been dyed black instead of sky blue. The buttons are the "muffin" style with the Virginia insignia. This coat has seen a few adventures. Lol. I thought about taking it to the cleaners but it still has hair on it from the horse I lost a couple years back. Something to remember her by.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty