Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal buttons View Post
When you see women dressed up in sexy mini skirts or short summer dresses at the grocery market or retail stores do you think they are trying too hard? sometimes I feel kinda insecure cause I think it makes me look desperate but at the same time it's hot outside, and why not wear it ? a lot of times i just dress casual to the supermarket. i dont really go clubbing or to bars a lot because i dont have any friends to go with
It's much better than going to the store in PJs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
^^^ Jerseygal, why do you think that is the case? Do you think it is because men avoid women that seem high maintenance or have a preference for more natural and down to earth women?
I don't know,but it seems to work for me.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
OP,you would get approached more if you do go to bars and clubs by yourself.

I didn't to bars and clubs because I had no friends wither,but once I started going by myself,I loved it.
Plus,guys find it easier to approach a woman if she is alone.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I overheard a hilarious conversation in the dressing room yesterday. There were some teeny boppers (black) who were trying on summer clothing. One of them said, "I am trying on 'white girl' shorts". The other one said "oh you mean those shirts that look like panties." Hehehe, that look is so popular with the mostly white hipster girls around here.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
I don't really think anyone should feel insecure over stuff that other people wear to the store. While I've seen some stuff that looks a bit skanky at the grocery store (such as the stuff that is on the People of Wal Mart site), I don't think anything of someone wearing short shorts or a halter top, or something similar, at the store. They should be able to wear what they want.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
When you see women dressed up in sexy mini skirts or short summer dresses at the grocery market or retail stores do you think they are trying too hard? sometimes I feel kinda insecure cause I think it makes me look desperate but at the same time it's hot outside, and why not wear it ? a lot of times i just dress casual to the supermarket. i dont really go clubbing or to bars a lot because i dont have any friends to go with
Grocery stores are a place to meet people. Wear what you like. Wearing what other people think you should or should not wear just makes you a clothes rack.

If you like what you wear, other people can tell you're comfortable. Just because a woman wears a short something doesn't mean they are trying anything. The men who think so are dinosaurs.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM

855 posts, read 1,383,887 times
Women should be allowed to wear whatever they want to the supermarket as long as her outfit is in decent taste, not overtly sexually suggestive and most of the skin with respect to her ample parts are covered. A fraction of cleavage is OK and a little bit of skin doesn't hurt.

Sometimes a woman might be on her way to a party or function and needs to make a stop at a grocery store. I have no problems with that because women dressed in this fashion usually have an existing agenda that doesn't make for an extended stay in the supermarket hovering the aisles for attractive guys. There are little kids in the supermarket who don't need to see certain body parts in plain view until they reach a certain age. I can see how equally annoying it can be for those parents with kids who have to answer 50 questions on the ride home all because a young lady preferred to put her boobs on display with the rest of the dairy products.

My dad always said "there is a time and a place for everything," especially when it comes to appropriate dress. I appreciate ladies a whole lot more who apply this thought and don't go overboard making the supermarket a fastidious "meat" market. You're there to shop and look for food first and foremost. It shouldn't be a place where people lounge the aisles hoping to fill their spot for friday's date.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Agree 100%!
I like to always look presentable, whether I'm going to a fancy event or to Target. Doesn't mean I'll put on a cocktail dress and heels if I'm just going to the store. But I've dropped by a grocery store to pick up some wine or a cake on the way a party, for example, and I hate when people give you weird looks for it.
Kind of sad that people will go out in dirty pajamas and no one says a word, yet if you actually dare to look nice you get the stink-eye.
The reason I like to leave the house looking occasion-appropriate "stunning" is because I have realized a thing or two about my fellow human beings (esp other members of my gender)

Haters have enough energy to:

Criticize
Gossip
Be catty & passive-
aggressive

But when it comes to taking a good hard honest look at themselves to determine what they can do to improve their health or their appearance, all that energy seems to disappear down a black hole, covered up with "excuses" and "good reasons" why they are in the shape they are in.

In my own life, I have turned my back on the attitudes and behavior I describe, and I feel so much better for doing so.

Not everyone can be a raving beauty, but can't we leave the house neat and clean with clean clothes that fit and something other than bedroom slippers on our feet?

Not everyone can be a size smaller than 10, but can't we do SOMETHING closer to get ourselves closer to a healthy body weight that doesn't call for drugs and pills and gimmicks?

I'm just saying.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
A couple of weeks ago I had to make a quick run to Wal Mart for something my son needed and, not feeling the need to dress up or impress anyone, I just threw on a halter top (nothing too revealing) and jeans and we were off. Imagine my surprise when, as my son and I were just minding our own business at the store, a woman who must have been in her late 40s came over to me and pretty much criticized me for my choice of outfit! I wasn't even wearing anything suggestive! However, she choose to criticize me for wearing something so suggestive around my son. It turns out that she was some religious nut (she ended the conversation with 'God bless you, in Jesus' name I pray' or something like that). I held my tongue the whole time, but I felt like lashing out at her and telling her to mind her own business.

This kind of thing is exactly why I don't concern myself with what other people wear. Sure, some people, like the ones on People of Wal Mart, wear some extremely questionable outfits, and sure it's fun to tease them, but we really should mind our own business when it comes to things like this.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
what should a woman wear to the super market if its 90 degrees outside?
Shorts and a tank top is what a lot of women wear. Personally, I like skorts; they look like short skirts, but underneath, they're shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty