Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

" Why is the preppy style so controversial?"

It's not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
is not controversial, just boring...

Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
....I think MOKAN is right about the "preps." I have seen that I am perceived differently, depending on who I am dealing with, based on my own mostly preppy style. Everything from admiration to disdain because I appear to be "uppity."....
The "uppity" bit usually comes from the lowest, most ignorant offenders, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
....locally, Sperry is enjoying a HUGE resurgence, and is definitely encroaching upon trendwhore territory. Nobody was wearing deck shoes routinely in this particular non-nautical region until last summer or so....
I think Sperrys and associated styles have been popular with the Shawnee Mission East kids for at least several years now. But then, that might just be because of the demographic.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
I like how my friend dresses, I guess you would call this preppy. Some prep styles are nicer than others. PS not that his is all that great, just nice enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is the preppy style so controversial?-michael-beach2.jpg  

Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
There seems to be a lot of people who find preppiness unflattering. Also, some people express mild disgust if they find out that you're attracted to men/women who are preppy.

I don't really understand the hate. The style is non-threatening, clean-cut, attractive, classic, and in some places common.

What are your opinions?

Controversial? I think it's all around one of the safest ways to dress. Great for meating the parents. I never knew there was so much "controversy" over it.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I laugh at those that follow trends.

I dress extremely conservatively yet most of my political views are anything but.
My suites come from Brooks Bros. as most of my leisure wear.

Yes, I wear khaki's with Bass Weejuns with no socks.
I even have my button down oxfords monogrammed.

I also wear jeans, old concert t-shirts like my Dead Kennedy's, Joy Division and Strangler's shirts on the weekends.

Remember when one follows trends one usually has the word "" sucker "" stamped on their forehead.
All great bands and a great look! I agree about trendy. This is why my pictures from the 70s and 80s are not as embarrassing as other people's.

I love mixing preppy classics with band tees and a few bohemian items.

Right now I'm wearing a CBGB tee shirt and an Ann Taylor Loft Khaki skirt, with Bass sandals.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I think it may have more to do with the perceptions people have about people who dress preppy. Amusingly, most of these perceptions are pretty outdated, but that doesn't stop people from associating preppy clothing with Alex P. Keaton and 1980s era prep schools, The Official Preppy Handbook, etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
All great bands and a great look! I agree about trendy. This is why my pictures from the 70s and 80s are not as embarrassing as other people's.

I love mixing preppy classics with band tees and a few bohemian items.

Right now I'm wearing a CBGB tee shirt and an Ann Taylor Loft Khaki skirt, with Bass sandals.

CBGB'S!!! That's so cool Sheena!!

Many people, especially younger than I (I'm 46) have the t-shirts but have never been to the concerts.

I was very lucky to have gone to two Dead Kennedy shows in the early eighties along with Black Flag with Henry Rollins.
I will admit I did not see Joy Division prior to Ian Curtis's suicide so that means I saw New Order.
I did see The Strangler's in NYC in the early eighties.

CBGB's was a classic club and a classic shirt!!

I may hold a upper management position and wear conservative apparel but underneath I'm tattooed and pierced more heavily than a side show performer at Coney Island.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
I think there's 2 camps of hate towards the neo-prep style that's popularized by J. Crew. One is from ppl in the midwest & south who associate the look with the "Southern Prep" style of douchey frat bros from the SEC schools. The other is from laid-back Gen-X and Baby Boomers who're tired of "fake" yuppie values. Many of these grew up in the era of Punk, Industrial, Heavy Metal, Grunge, alt rock, and old-school Hip Hop, so they hate superficial conformity.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I didn't realize preppy clothing was controversial. I think everyone has an opinion. At some point, you need to decide what YOU want to do. Are you going to let others dictate how you dress? or how you feel about how you dress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty