Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

As others have said, you will appreciate it when you get older. I'm the same, no one believes me when I tell them how old I am. No one. I have often been asked to "prove it". Seriously. Why would I lie about being older...and, were I to lie about that, why would I pick the age I am now?

Anyway, the hardest part about looking so young is that people don't tend to take you seriously. Even if you are dressed appropriately, you've styled your hair, you look presentable and professional, (in the settings where you need to do that), they still don't take you seriously. That is the worst part about it.

It can be a struggle sometimes to get work when you are very young looking. It can be a struggle to get heard because people are thinking, "What do they know? They're young, they don't know anything" even when you are in your 30s but still like you just might have hit 20.

Heck, one time I DID produce my identification to "prove it" and I was called a liar! I was told that ID was fake because there was no way I was that age. Unreal.

It is frustrating. Keep in mind though, your revenge is when you are in your 30s or 40s, you will look fabulous while they start to look....not so good. But until you start getting gray hair and wrinkles and all that, people will dismiss you as, "that young person who doesn't know anything" because you cannot possibly have had any life experiences at your (assumed), age. (I at least think that is what will happen...I don't have gray hair or wrinkles yet...I just figure when I do get them, maybe then people will believe me when I say I'm this age, not 15 years younger like they think I am.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM

57 posts, read 117,934 times
You have been given a blessing that you don't even realize.

I am 48. I only stopped getting carded about 6 years ago. I am not lying. When I was your age I had the same problems. I had no idea what a blessing it would be in my life.

When I went back to my 20 year hs reunion, people couldn't stop telling me "you looking amazing, you haven't changed a bit". Questions like "what kind of face cream do you use" (ha ha, seriously, that was a question). The girls I went to school with that did a ton of "sunning" looked like leather wallets. They looked at least 15 years older than their actual age.

I know it is difficult because I was in your shoes. Dress nicely and carry yourself like a lady, and if people make comments, just smile and say "and I'll look amazing at 50!"

This may seem like a problem but you will be an extremely happy 30-40-50+ year old who will spend very little money on fix-it creams and surgeries. Embrace this!!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I watched a young man get asked for his ID the other day. He seemed kind of embarrassed...I don't know why...I felt like saying to him (though I didn't)...enjoy it while it lasts

Old 05-07-2013, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 17,429 times
I am 25 and people mistake me for a kid in middle school. Be thankful, a lot of women out there are getting plastic surgery, fillers or wasting money on creams to try to look young.

There isn't much you can do about it. It's just genetics, my dad was still getting carded in his 40's. My mom is 49 and really doesn't have wrinkles. I can wear makeup, put my hair up and wear dress clothes and still be asked my age. A lot of job interviews, I have been asked if I am really over 18.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
I'm in my early 20s and people still think I'm in high school (which is funny, I'm in grad school). It's annoying, but we'll appreciate it when we get older.

My grandmother turned 80 this year, but doesn't look a day over 60. Seriously, she sometimes has problems trying to get senior discounts.

I do understand your frustration, however. I find that wearing glasses and dressing up a little mitigates it somewhat. I like wearing a collared shirt with some dark jeans and shoe boots.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I just hate getting carded still for everything, movies, cigs, alcohol, you name it.
And people often ask if my boyfriend is my father, were three years apart.
Keep smoking and drinking and it should age you faster.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Rolfing can help with posture.

Ballet or other dance classes can help with your core and walk.

Speech classes can help with eloquence.

You can improve all these things on your own as well which will help add maturity to the way others perceive you.

Dressing different than your peers could help. No need to sacrifice fashion in doing so.

Implants will not help or the thought patterns that consider them a sort of solution.

Also the man standing next to you will reflect on you.

Maybe as a project you two could find something to improve each other in?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Im 34 and I get carded as well still. When I was in my 20s I did not like it but now I am happy to look younger. My mom looks very young and when she was married to her husband though they were 11 years apart he was mistaken for her dad and he also looked young for his age. I have a friend who is 34 and looks 45 so I much rather look younger then older. I think in your 20s and I could be wrong but you want to feel and be treated in a mature way. I often feel in terms of big purchases like a car or home I dont get treated in that way.
As for things you can change to look more mature is your hair in a style or do you tend to pull it back? I think pulling it back can make one look younger. I like subtle make up whether one is 20 or 60 so can't help you on that note. If your clothing is tight or has written words on the rear for ex it to me also can state one is younger.
I think at the end of the day try to focus on how you feel about yourself rather then what others state or think. I know this is hard but others may have a quick thought and then they go about their own day and are more focused on themselves.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
I just hate getting carded still for everything, movies, cigs, alcohol, you name it.

Petite + baby face = Carded 4 Life.

Being profiled as young looking is annoying (particularly for females) at places like the bank, the mechanic, the car dealership, at work, or any other place where you want people to take you seriously. But I wouldn't take it personally when it comes to getting carded for alcohol.

The drinking age may be 21, BUT...plot twist...the alcohol laws will often cite an OLDER age for carding. It's depends on the state. Some, like Virginia, only 'suggest' that sellers card anyone that looks 25 or younger. Other states (e.g. Indiana) are much stricter and require, by law, anyone that looks under 40 to get carded. Yeah. FORTY. A lot of states have that carding age set at 35. (It's probably the same for cigarettes.) SO, whether you look 15, or your actual age of 24, it doesn't matter--they still have to card you. In many states, even if you looked 34 at the age of 24, they would still have to card you. ADDITIONALLY, even with these regulations, some establishments will have their own 'CARD EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF AGE' policy.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
I'm 23, ill be 24 in a few months, I'm 5'3" and only about 110.
I still have a baby face, to the point that most people think that I am only 14 or 15.

I don't wear stuff with things plastered all across it, you don't see hollister or anything across my chest or butt.

I dress just like everyone else my age.

You'll typically see me in leggings with either plain vneck shirts or one fitted tank top with a loose one over it, or ill do that with jeans or shorts. I don't dress any differently than my friends who are my age.

I do my hair and style it, I wear make-up, I wear jewelry.

Still most people think I am like 14-15 years old, no matter what I do.

How do I shed the baby face?
How do I turn this around?
Clothes: Either classic/conservative styles, or more sophisticated ones (fancier fabrics & tailoring). Stuff like leggings and layered fitted tanks are perfectly fine for someone in your age bracket, but they're not necessarily going to make you look older. 15 year-olds wear leggings and layered tanks too. Stay away from stores like Hollister, A&F, AE, Aeropostale, Old Navy. Even plain, neutral pieces from those stores look young. Stay away from the junior's department (I know it's tempting because you're petite, and juniors sizes will fit you better, but if you want grown up clothes, you have to shop in the grown ups department, namely the petites section in the WOMEN'S department, or in a store like Ann Taylor). No flip flops or tennis shoes. Wear a shoe with a heel when possible. Carry a quality bag (a satchel style bag worn on the crook of your arm would look older/more sophisticated than a shoulder bag or a cross body).

Makeup: Neutral tones. No sparkle or glitter and keep the shine/shimmer to a minimum. Nothing cutesy on your nails like polka dots or cotton candy colors.

Jewelry: Nothing cheap looking or that looks like you got it at a mall kiosk. No hearts, or charms shaped like cute creatures.

Hair: Long hair, generally, looks young. If you truly want to look older, I'd go with a shorter, more structured, deliberate cut and style. Something more business formal/professional looking.

But more than any of this, it's how you carry yourself and how you speak that makes young people look (and sound) young. Try to refrain from saying "like" (as in, "That's, like, so not true!"), and other assorted young speak like "yo", "that sucks", "I know, right?", "whatever", "dude" and misusing the word "literally", as in "I'm literally going to die if he texts me again!".

Quote:
I just feel like there might be a way to cut my hair, change my make-up, and clothes in such a way that it doesn't physically change anything but just makes me look a few years older.

If I was really desperate, I'd get lipo or the baby fat and little pudge I do have left, breast implants and I'd have them do something to my face to make my cheeks not so baby like, maybe better cheekbones. I'm not that desperate though so ill stick to hair, clothes and make-up to try and make me look older. I just don't know what to do in those areas that I haven't already done yet.
Yeah, don't do anything permanent and drastic to your face or your body. Your idea of what looks good/is a good idea NOW, at 24, will probably not be the same even just 5 years from now at 29. My tastes and general outlook changed a lot in that particular age window. Anyway, Mother Nature is gonna make you look older eventually, for free and without surgical scars. Plus, if you plan on having babies, your face & body might change, e.g., you might gain a cup size naturally. As for lipo, um...you are 110 pounds at 5'3". I doubt you have any "baby fat and little pudge" to lipo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty