Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
As I said before, I'm not a fan of tattoos. Besides what I stated before, another thing I don't understand is how someone can justify spending hundreds of dollars on tattoos, yet complain because they have less than $100 to last them through 2 weeks until payday rolls around again.
You are lumping a whole lot of people together with that statement. Maybe you have known one or two people that have spent that much money on their tattoos and didn't have money to make it through the month, but most people are not in that catagory. People spend their extra money on what they please. I have heard of many people that spend far too much on clothes or shoes, on eating out, on trips etc. Who is to say that any persons choices for their extra money is more valid than someone elses?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
You are lumping a whole lot of people together with that statement. Maybe you have known one or two people that have spent that much money on their tattoos and didn't have money to make it through the month, but most people are not in that catagory. People spend their extra money on what they please. I have heard of many people that spend far too much on clothes or shoes, on eating out, on trips etc. Who is to say that any persons choices for their extra money is more valid than someone elses?
I have to agree here. I have tattoos and the money spent on the ones I paid for was money saved for the purpose of the tattoo and did not come from funds that were supposed to be for something else.

Furthermore, if I am not working, like right now, I would never get a tattoo. Do I want another tattoo? Of course. No reason is valid enough to get one if I am not currently working.

There is a thread about purses and I can't believe the money women spend on purses and shoes. Out of this world.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
"someone can justify spending hundreds of dollars on tattoos"

I did say "someone", I didn't say "everyone" and I didn't name any names.

Take a deep breath. It'll be okay.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
As I said before, I'm not a fan of tattoos. Besides what I stated before, another thing I don't understand is how someone can justify spending hundreds of dollars on tattoos, yet complain because they have less than $100 to last them through 2 weeks until payday rolls around again.
That is not unique to tattoos. When someone is living paycheck to paycheck he or she can make any number of ill-thought out financial decisions. A member of my family who earns $9/hour and is supporting an SO and young daughter decided to buy his SO a diamond ring (not an engagement ring) on credit. I've known others in similar situations who bought an extra car for $500 or made similar purchases. I fail to understand how this issue has anythign to do with tattoos specifically.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,403 times
when I was a kid the only tattoos that impressed me is a US Marine with a tattoo on his arm, I remember the Marine recruiter had a cool dragon on his forearm and I wanted to be just like him, but I never got any tats

Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,221 times
Tattoos by themselves don't bother me at all. What's starting to irritate me is the prevalence of "that guy" in under 30 social circles. You might know "that guy"- crappy sleeve tats, odd piercings, is in a band or has some kind of "artist" gimmick, and (stupid) people take this as an indicator of some kind of genuine personality.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,461 times
Tattoos don't "bother me" but I have no respect for people who get them.

In any hierarchy anywhere (except show business which is a warped world), the incidence of tattoos increases as you go down and decreases as you go up.

The guy who drives the garbage truck probably has tattoos.
The guy who runs the city probably doesn’t.

The guy whose job it is to saw off rusty, burnt-out mufflers probably has tattoos.
The guy who owns the chain of muffler shops probably doesn’t.

The guy who washes the dishes at the restaurant probably has tattoos.
The owner of the restaurant probably doesn’t.

So what do your tattoos express?
Probably, that you’re a failure, or aspire to be one.

And by the way, following a huge fad is hardly "expressing individuality".
And by the way, tattoos freeze you right where you are in life. You will never be another person. You will never grow. You will never develop. You will always be what you were when you got those tattoos.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
While I don't have any of my own, it certainly doesn't bother me that others do. Some of them look really good, while others are in poor taste such as gang tattoos or your neck or face which just scream "born to lose".

Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Tattoos don't "bother me" but I have no respect for people who get them.

In any hierarchy anywhere (except show business which is a warped world), the incidence of tattoos increases as you go down and decreases as you go up.

The guy who drives the garbage truck probably has tattoos.
The guy who runs the city probably doesn’t.

The guy whose job it is to saw off rusty, burnt-out mufflers probably has tattoos.
The guy who owns the chain of muffler shops probably doesn’t.

The guy who washes the dishes at the restaurant probably has tattoos.
The owner of the restaurant probably doesn’t.

So what do your tattoos express?
Probably, that you’re a failure, or aspire to be one.

And by the way, following a huge fad is hardly "expressing individuality".
And by the way, tattoos freeze you right where you are in life. You will never be another person. You will never grow. You will never develop. You will always be what you were when you got those tattoos.
Your physician may just have tattoos under that white coat. So may your lawyer, or maybe even your preacher.

The Tattooed Doctor - Neatorama

My Chiropractor has tattoos, they are just where they are not visible. My Neurologist goes nuts over one of mine. i wouldn't doubt if he has tattoos.

I don't care if my dr has tattoos. If they are a good dr and can treat my illnesses, that is what I care about. Tattoos on the face or neck would probably be inappropriate.

You just do not know who is tattooed under their clothing. I also do know a couple of tattooed preachers.

So many of your statements are such generalizations. Yes there are business owners who have tattoos. There are managers.

Your bolded statement? Ridiculous.

I have a feeling you are probably perfect.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,634 times
I'm not a big tattoo fan, as I have a personal preference for all natural beauty. However, once is a very, very blue moon I find a certain type of women covered in tattoos to be extreamly beautiful. These women usually have a vibe about them, and confidence that seems to be expressed and enhanced by their tats. Usually, there tattoos are well placed and perfectly designed throughout the body where it really is an art form. Their tats are unique, and seem to express a true individuality. For most people, they just seem tacky and end up looking like all the other millions of tattoos.

Perhaps, the true form of taboo, or individual expression lies in branding. That has yet to become mainstream, and doubt it ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty