Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A tattoo doesn't make one any different. Given their prevalence, it's actually a case of mindlessly following the herd. "Oh, sure. Permanently mar my body with some Chinese characters that might as well read 'Banana Chips On Sale Now' for all I know? Sure, I'm in!" I mean, who DOES this?

I agree with you on your key point. The large majority of tattoos are just ugly. Period. In fact, I'm thinking 9 times out of 10 is being exceedingly generous. What's more, they're kind of a sad and dispiriting cliché, the desire to stand up on a chair and say at all costs, "Hey, I'm different! I'm different!" rather than actually proving it with one's thoughts and actions. The designs are almost without exception stupid, hokey and uninspired, the equivalent of wearing a really ugly tie or Spandex tights in a size 18. What's more, five or ten years down the road, tattoos wind up looking like a skin disease or something. And they never go away unless you pony up lots of bucks in order to get some painful removal done.
Ladies and gentlemen, this right here is a perfect example of someone who is one of those no-life people, used to being brainwashed with ideas of fake democracy and "perfect" societies and morals. I will assume that you are one of those individuals who think that a person who adopts an extreme style is a wrong-doer, because you are scared of them and of anything you can't understand.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 739 times
I stumbled upon this dead forum while looking up information to see if it is possible to enter a career as an EMT. My boyfriend and I are heavily tattooed. He would like to pursue a career in which he can help save lives. I work as a successful esthetician, where I help to correct skin problems that cause people to have low self worth. A lot of the opinions on this thread are so shocking and ugly... Much like the way most of you would refer to my tattoos. I do not have low self esteem. I went to private schools all my childhood, raised with good morals and common sense. I have beautiful art on my body that I get to enjoy every day with a smile. I hope that the negative people in this thread might read this and realize how ignorant it is to judge a book by its cover rather than its contents. Maybe you all should try to be kind to people rather than having preconceived notions about a certain type if person. It could change your life.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,255 times
Nah. Only when they try to convince me of how deep and expressive it is when they have the same tattoos all over them as 50 million other people (yes, your mish mash of dragon, serpent, skull, angel, naked lady, Chinese symbol, and contradictory words like love and hate on opposite sides is very profound and unique to you, now have a good day).

Or when they liken it to other cultures in which tattoos actually have true historical/anthropological significance (no, you're not just like XYZ tribe, you're someone who thought it'd look cool to have a squiggle on your bicep or a butterfly on your butt).

Thankfully, I rarely come across those types anymore. Only the ones who shut up about it or have a genuine passion for the artwork and skill that goes into it. I don't think tats are ugly. They're quite beautiful, at least the ones I see. I wouldn't do it, though. I'd feel like I was wearing an interesting outfit I can't take off because it's attached to my skin. I'm too easily bored of things for that kind of permanency lol

Plus, it's my skin.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
Tats are fine with me. I'm 70 years old and have tats on my arms, one hand, and chest. Both of my sons and their wives have them. All of my tats have a special meaning to me. (in memory, military, loves and past loves) The past loves have been modified, or brought up to date, if you will. I would have more but nowadays they cost too much for me.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM

57 posts, read 181,658 times
Tats are not cool anymore, its mainstream. EVERYBODY has at least, even my dentist! Its trendy. No it doesn't annoy me. But I wouldn't get one.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
too many tacky, ugly, and dumb tattoos. if you're going to put permanent art on your body, you should take more time to consider what you want than you take to decide what you want for supper. it should never be an impulse decision nor a decision made while drunk or stoned. though the art will each represent a different story or event, there should be a theme or flowing design that ties each art work together. to me, there is too much of a good thing. a few quality pieces is better than a complete shirt of OK to bad pictures.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
I'm not talking one or two tattoos, but tattoos all over their body. Of course, it is their body. However, I find those people with tattoos all over their arms, legs, body, everywhere very annoying and can't understand why anyone would do that!?
No. I don't think that. I tend to make my own observations about people based on who they are, not what they look like.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
tattoos are more of an EYE SORE , seems like everywhere I go people have to show off their ink

tattoo people only socialize with other tattoo people, you never see one heavily tattooed person with a non tattooed person

I guess they do look kind of annoying because everybody has them now

the wannabe fake bikers on their brand new Harleys with their fresh tattoos look silly, trying to get the "tough guy" Easy Rider look?

the dumbest trend / fad of the century in my opinion

Last edited by mr bolo; 10-18-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunalina55 View Post
I stumbled upon this dead forum while looking up information to see if it is possible to enter a career as an EMT. My boyfriend and I are heavily tattooed. He would like to pursue a career in which he can help save lives. I work as a successful esthetician, where I help to correct skin problems that cause people to have low self worth. A lot of the opinions on this thread are so shocking and ugly... Much like the way most of you would refer to my tattoos. I do not have low self esteem. I went to private schools all my childhood, raised with good morals and common sense. I have beautiful art on my body that I get to enjoy every day with a smile. I hope that the negative people in this thread might read this and realize how ignorant it is to judge a book by its cover rather than its contents. Maybe you all should try to be kind to people rather than having preconceived notions about a certain type if person. It could change your life.
People with tattoos do not annoy me; but it's foolish to think that we aren't judged on our appearance. We ARE, every single day. Absolutely we are in the working world. I don't love it either - but that is reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
Tats are not cool anymore, its mainstream. EVERYBODY has at least, even my dentist! Its trendy. No it doesn't annoy me. But I wouldn't get one.
Agree.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
You do realize those who are chronologically older got most of or all of their tattoos BEFORE it became
"Trendy".
We tend to not follow trends like the younger generations do because we really don't care what any of you think about what we do, how we do it and why we do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty