Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM

895 posts, read 1,696,542 times

Advertisements

I am not a fashion expert but these are the forms of fashion I find the most unattractive:

1. Fake Nails - I have never understood the logic behind wearing these because it is very apparent that the nails are fake. And when that conclusion is drawn, the first question that comes to mind is why would said woman want to hide her nails? I think it is an effort to be overly decadent and you don't necessarily have to be a strict practitioner of the natural look to realize that.
2. Generic brands like Hollister, A & F, etc. come of as tacky and it is especially displeasing to see a group of young women dressed in the same few brands. It suppresses individuality in my opinion.
3. Painted nails. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but I think it looks childish.
4. Those excessive gladiator type shoes that seem to wind all the way up to the ankle. The way I look at is that we don't live in an ancient Spartan society anymore so why make the effort?
5. Lipstick that is a bit too bold and draws attention away from other facial features.

In my opinion, the minimalist look is the most attractive.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ml%3B435%3B579

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...%3B1000%3B1000

Modern Minimalist Fashion

Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,906,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am not a fashion expert but these are the forms of fashion I find the most unattractive:
Quote:
1. Fake Nails - I have never understood the logic behind wearing these
Until you've broken a natural one, or have nails that are easily broken or split.

Quote:
2. Generic brands like Hollister, A & F, etc.
Generally speaking I agree but wouldn't hold it against a woman (well maybe A&F). By the way by definition name brands aren't generic.

Quote:
3. Painted nails. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but I think it looks childish.
You can either polish them or not, there is no other option. Many women have their nails polished and I you probably don't even know it. I doubt that a single model in any of the photos that you link to have unpolished nails.

Quote:
4. Those excessive gladiator type shoes that seem to wind all the way up to the ankle.
Couldn't agree with you more. And please add platform shows. They were dumb in the 70's and haven't improved with age.

Quote:
5. Lipstick that is a bit too bold and draws attention away from other facial features.
Well that's two out of five well maybe 2 1/2 that we agree on. Not bad.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM

In regards to the polishing:
Clear nail polish is fine and is fairly attractive. I could also go for black, but not much else.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM

102,066 posts, read 106,917,029 times
This is another one of those thread topics that leaves me wondering what kind of a world some of our members live in. (It's usually on the Relationships forum where topics have that effect.) Where do you live, OP, that you see so many women with fake nails, painted nails, too-bold lipstick (or any lipstick), and gladiator shoes? Among my friends and relatives, no one does that. Nor do they wear makeup at all. I do occasionally notice cashiers at the bank or grocery store who display some of those traits.

What you're calling the "minimalist" look used to be called "classic". It never really went out of style, for some people. Nice to see that it's back with a new twist, and is gaining popularity.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM

530 posts, read 1,126,558 times
Fake nails are nasty to me and I am a female. They look like a low life hoe. Also I can't imagine all the gunk that gets trapped underneath them. Ewwwwwwww.

I also agree about the minimalist look, it shows the natural beauty instead of a woman using too much fake things such as: makeup, fake nails, plastic surgery, etc. Add in super padded bras, padded butts, high heels. When I see women like that I just want to hose all that crap off.
Too much jewelry and/or accessories also take away from natural beauty.

Don't get me wrong i do like some makeup and heels, and a little jewelry once in awhile.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is another one of those thread topics that leaves me wondering what kind of a world some of our members live in. (It's usually on the Relationships forum where topics have that effect.) Where do you live, OP, that you see so many women with fake nails, painted nails, too-bold lipstick (or any lipstick), and gladiator shoes? Among my friends and relatives, no one does that. Nor do they wear makeup at all. I do occasionally notice cashiers at the bank or grocery store who display some of those traits.

What you're calling the "minimalist" look used to be called "classic". It never really went out of style, for some people. Nice to see that it's back with a new twist, and is gaining popularity.
South Florida.
Interesting, because minimalist architecture is not necessarily classic looking at all.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 PM

607 posts, read 1,388,328 times
Those neon colored exercise shorts that were popular back in the 80's have now, unfortunately, made a comeback. It seems to be the newest fashion fad for women right now. I hate them. They're just kind of a big turn off for me.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,383,241 times
Girls/women who dress like guys.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Fake nails are nasty to me and I am a female. They look like a low life hoe. Also I can't imagine all the gunk that gets trapped underneath them. Ewwwwwwww.

I also agree about the minimalist look, it shows the natural beauty instead of a woman using too much fake things such as: makeup, fake nails, plastic surgery, etc. Add in super padded bras, padded butts, high heels. When I see women like that I just want to hose all that crap off.
Too much jewelry and/or accessories also take away from natural beauty.

Don't get me wrong i do like some makeup and heels, and a little jewelry once in awhile.
I agree. The minimalist look has always been around, there have always been women wearing that look. It used to just be called "good taste".

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
South Florida.
Interesting, because minimalist architecture is not necessarily classic looking at all.
HAHAHA! South Florida! Well, no wonder! Try taking a vacation to the West Coast. Northern California (Bay Area) or Seattle or Portland. A very different planet from South FL, I guarantee you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty