Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

If I could have it done 100% painlessly, I'd have an eyelid lift. I'd pay for it - I'd go into debt over it. But I know it's not painless, I know it'd require time off from work, which I don't want to waste my vacation time for. But regardless - even if it was free - I'd never get it done away from driving distance of my own home, unless it was a medical emergency (such as - I was already IN columbia when my nose got broken and it needs to be set while I'm already there).
Off topic, but wanted to say, FYI, I just had upper & lower bleph last week and it has been surprisingly pain free. The injections for numbing the area at the very start of the operation and the suture removal yesterday were ouchy for a few seconds, but I've taken 2-3 tylenol and only at night as a precautionary measure. And I don't have a high pain tolerance. However, I did develop chemosis (occurs about 20% of operations) and I'm glad that I have my surgeon 5 miles away to directly oversee my care while this resolves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Off topic, but wanted to say, FYI, I just had upper & lower bleph last week and it has been surprisingly pain free. The injections for numbing the area at the very start of the operation and the suture removal yesterday were ouchy for a few seconds, but I've taken 2-3 tylenol and only at night as a precautionary measure. And I don't have a high pain tolerance. However, I did develop chemosis (occurs about 20% of operations) and I'm glad that I have my surgeon 5 miles away to directly oversee my care while this resolves.
What was the price of the bleph?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hey everyone, I am seriously considering going to Colombia sometime soon to be getting rhinoplasty. I know Colombia is plastic surgery mecca, but would you get Cosmetic surgery abroad?

Rhinoplasty is only $1200 US dollars in Cali, Colombia compared to $7-9,000 here in USA!
I wouldn't

With Rhinoplasty you need to do extensive search to find the best doctor. Rhinoplasty depends on the skill of the surgeon and some can do really crappy jobs. You might get lucky and find a good surgeon right away but you may not. You need to see several photos of previous patients not just based that decision on one patient.

I am concerned about that price too, it sounds too cheap. Are you gonna say at a friend's house? How safe is the area you plan to stay? Cali is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Hotels in Colombia are not cheap, expect to pay at least $100 a night which can add up pretty quickly. Do you speak Spanish?

Having said that, Colombia has some great surgeons with a lot of experience. Just don't assume they are all great. Also remember you will be sedated or under general anesthesia and that can be dangerous. Do you really want a medical emergency when you are so far away from your family?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What was the price of the bleph?
$3000 for upper & lower, plus $1200 for sedation b/c I had deep fat pockets that needed to be handled during surgery. That price included all Rx pain meds (which I didn't need), antibiotics, arnica, pre- and postop visits. I have had to pay separately for the Rx steroid eyedrops ($91) for the chemosis that developed.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I wouldn't

With Rhinoplasty you need to do extensive search to find the best doctor. Rhinoplasty depends on the skill of the surgeon and some can do really crappy jobs. You might get lucky and find a good surgeon right away but you may not. You need to see several photos of previous patients not just based that decision on one patient.

I am concerned about that price too, it sounds too cheap. Are you gonna say at a friend's house? How safe is the area you plan to stay? Cali is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Hotels in Colombia are not cheap, expect to pay at least $100 a night which can add up pretty quickly. Do you speak Spanish?

Having said that, Colombia has some great surgeons with a lot of experience. Just don't assume they are all great. Also remember you will be sedated or under general anesthesia and that can be dangerous. Do you really want a medical emergency when you are so far away from your family?
I have family/friends in Colombia who I can stay with, except none in Cali where I plan on going. Yes, I speak Spanish (I'm Cuban/Colombian). The surgeon I want to see has done all the Latin celebrities in Miami & I'm excited about having a consultation with him!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
That right there is the thing. Being close to home IF something goes wrong. There exists no doctor in the entire world, that is incapable of making a mistake. ALL doctors make mistakes, of one sort of another, at various times throughout their career. It is not a fault. It is a trait of being human. I would rather be close to home, if the doctor's turn to make a mistake, was when it was my turn to be his patient.

Again - if it were a medical emergency, as in, I was already in a distant location when I needed care, I'd take the best that was available at that location. I wouldn't be stubborn enough to insist on waiting til I got home.

But as long as I have a choice, I choose to be in reasonable distance to family, or at least - in the same country, so that IF something goes wrong, the family doesn't have to agonize over dealing with updating passports and spending thousands of dollars to all come down to wherever I'm stuck, needing them.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
$3000 for upper & lower, plus $1200 for sedation b/c I had deep fat pockets that needed to be handled during surgery. That price included all Rx pain meds (which I didn't need), antibiotics, arnica, pre- and postop visits. I have had to pay separately for the Rx steroid eyedrops ($91) for the chemosis that developed.
Wow,that was super cheap.
I paid 1600 to a dermatologist for juvederm 2 weeks ago,and now I feel stupid.
My eye hollows look worse with the Juvederm than without. My laugh lines look the same.
I could have saved that money and been half way to paying for a bleph...

Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 AM

Just wanted to add Columbia is better to go to than the Dominican Republic.
I have had relatives that went to the Dr for liposuction and one came back with a life threatning infection.

I'm thinking of going to South Africa for rhinoplasty.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wow,that was super cheap.
I paid 1600 to a dermatologist for juvederm 2 weeks ago,and now I feel stupid.
My eye hollows look worse with the Juvederm than without. My laugh lines look the same.
I could have saved that money and been half way to paying for a bleph...
Part of the reason it was so cheap was that I prepaid for it while the recession was still putting a hurting on business, so he was offering procedures at a lower rate so he could continue to cover his overhead. Then I had scheduled it for many months later from when I initially consulted due to accruing vacation days, and then had to postpone that surgery due to family issues. So, I paid in October 2011, consulted in January 2012, scheduled for September 2012, postponed all the way until the end of May 2013. I think his typical rate is $5000-$6000 for upper & lower, plus the $1200 sedation fee.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hey everyone, I am seriously considering going to Colombia sometime soon to be getting rhinoplasty. I know Colombia is plastic surgery mecca, but would you get Cosmetic surgery abroad?

Rhinoplasty is only $1200 US dollars in Cali, Colombia compared to $7-9,000 here in USA!

Have you considered South Korea? Maybe the planet ticket might cost too much, but i remember reading that a nose job costs like $3,000 a couple of years ago(prices might have dropped now due to increasing patients, etc.)...they have some of the best plastic surgeons in the world. The most important thing is getting your nose job done correctly and safely. I've read medical tourism has increased significantly over the past several years...you should check it out...safe too...i would be wary of the Latin American countries or Mexico even. It might cost you more than 1,200 US in Cali, Colombia especially if you get kidnapped there...ransom would cost more than $1,200 for sure.

Last edited by JL; 06-05-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty