Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I remember as a kid wanting a "cool" esprit shirt. (Something like the Esprit logo in rainbow colors on the front or something.)

My mom put the kibosh on that one by saying a) that shirt is way overpriced, and b) saying that giving the brand free advertising is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Honestly -- I don't "do" logos. Not on handbags (which I don't carry anymore -- YAY!) not on clothing, or shoes.

Until whoever's logo it is I am wearing is PAYING me to advertise for them -- they can stuff their logo wear.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 PM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Because I don't donate, it's that simple.I'm not the walfare office, you don't get stuff from me for free.Either I get money form it or it hits the trash. Been like that for many yard sales, and will be for many years to come. They either Pay ME or they don't get it.

Donations can be a tax deduction, so it wouldn't actually be free (unless you didn't claim it naturally).

I don't *do* logos either. I love patterns, but not this type.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I was with my SO Friday evening taking my cat to the vet and I saw three Coach bags.

The women carrying them all had dogs, all were dressed like $3.00 hookers and carrying Coach bags. Who seriously wears hooker heels to the vet with your dog dragging you through the place?

"Look at me! My clothes are cheap and trashy but I have a coach bag!"

I just sat there kind of perplexed. I sat and wondered if they thought that the bag made them exude class. I didn't think it did but maybe someone did.

There was an episode of What Not to Wear with a girl like that on there.....
It always messed with my head, when I saw Mamas on EBT, with a more expensive purse than mine.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
You mean there are people willing to pay the advertiser for carrying advertisements?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It always messed with my head, when I saw Mamas on EBT, with a more expensive purse than mine.
That's actually part of a *thing* that a certain segment of government recipients is into. It goes along with flaunting designer watches, hair weaves, gold jewelry, professional manicures, and certain other luxury items that are supposed to convey status. Of course they just look like trashy wannabes at the end of the day. Some will spend all their welfare money on things to make them look like something they are not. I just feel bad for the kids.

None, ZERO of the really wealthy people I know, owns anything with logos splattered over it. They buy quality items that last and dress understated or casual.

I think the Coach logo bag is the under-status symbol right now and Coach is taking advantage of that by making even cheaper versions, so they sold out a while ago. The crew of wannabes hasn't caught on yet or they want to flaunt that they don't care.

There are plenty of cheaper version designer bags being sold by the companies themselves, at outlets and even warehouse stores, so anyone can afford a "genuine designer bag" now anyway. Another thing ruined by greed mentality.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Because I don't donate, it's that simple.I'm not the walfare office, you don't get stuff from me for free.Either I get money form it or it hits the trash. Been like that for many yard sales, and will be for many years to come. They either Pay ME or they don't get it.
This is one of the oddest opinions I have ever heard. I truly can't make heads or tails of the point of it.....

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is one of the oddest opinions I have ever heard. I truly can't make heads or tails of the point of it.....
Nothing ODD about it, it's all about money. I don't DONATE, never have never will. If the bag says $35.00 you either pay me $35 or you don't get it for $2 at goodwill. Cause I for one flat out refuse to take something I can make money off of and hand it to someone for free. I either make money or it goes in the trash. People who shop at goodwill have no business carrying Coach bags or any other designer bag anyways if they are too broke to buy new, or if they refuse to buy brand new because they are too cheap to go purchase these things for themselves so they look at goodwill for bargains.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Nothing ODD about it, it's all about money. I don't DONATE, never have never will. If the bag says $35.00 you either pay me $35 or you don't get it for $2 at goodwill. Cause I for one flat out refuse to take something I can make money off of and hand it to someone for free. I either make money or it goes in the trash. People who shop at goodwill have no business carrying Coach bags or any other designer bag anyways if they are too broke to buy new, or if they refuse to buy brand new because they are too cheap to go purchase these things for themselves so they look at goodwill for bargains.
What about what I suggested earlier? There are programs that help women coming out of abusive relationships get back to working, etc.... Some of these women have nothing but want to try to get out there and work and really have no way to afford to get presentable looking clothing to work in or interview in, etc.

There is always someone in need who is not necessarily taking it as a handout, but a way to get out and start a new life. That person knows how it is to be in such a situation and will probably pay it forward when they have a chance as well.

It is also rewarding knowing you have helped someone, even in a minimal way....

I do understand your take on this. There are people out there who want something for nothing and don't want to work for it. I understand that aspect, but there are people who are also just in need.

No one needs a leather Coach purse, but you sound as though you may have other things you probably get rid of that just go in the trash because they are not bought.

Please consider something like a battered womens shelter. A homeless shelter.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

No one needs a leather Coach purse, but you sound as though you may have other things you probably get rid of that just go in the trash because they are not bought.

Please consider something like a battered womens shelter. A homeless shelter.
You want to give a designer bag to homeless people? 1) It would be snatched up by someone working there. 2) If it made it to a homeless person they would sell it on the street for drugs/booze. People do strange things when given something for nothing, it just produces greed. People literally murder for designer goods. It's better to be purchased by someone who might really want it because they like it. I'm sure the bag could have sold on Ebay for a decent price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty