U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,843,963 times

Advertisements

What's the true way you look to people? Is it what you seem in the mirror or how you look in photos?

I've read that we cannot trust our own eyes because we tend to see ourselves as better looking than we really are but it's weird because I'm not very photogenic but my wife says I look better in person and I see myself in the mirror as better looking than in photos. It's rare I take a great pic but when I do its how I mostly see myself and how other ppl see me.

So which is it? Do photos not capture someone's true image?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:20 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,196,197 times
I found that true too. Take pictures of yourself or have people take photos of you. Even better, video of you - especially when you aren't aware of being filmed.

It's an eye opener sometimes.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,522,587 times
I look terrible in photos. They rarely capture the true me. People tend to think I am better looking in person as well. Probably because my sparkling personality shines through.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM

What's funny is I took a pic of mr reflection in the mirror, one in the bathroom and the other a car side ones and it looked a lot more of how I see myself than a head on shot.

Photos cannot be the real deal

Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,916,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
What's the true way you look to people? Is it what you seem in the mirror or how you look in photos?

I've read that we cannot trust our own eyes because we tend to see ourselves as better looking than we really are but it's weird because I'm not very photogenic but my wife says I look better in person and I see myself in the mirror as better looking than in photos. It's rare I take a great pic but when I do its how I mostly see myself and how other ppl see me.

So which is it? Do photos not capture someone's true image?
When you look in the mirror, you're essentially seeing the opposite of what other people see when they are looking at you head on. Kind of how you're accustomed to hearing your voice a certain way because of the way the sound resonates in your head. That's why some people think that they look "different" in photos, or sound "different" on an audio recording.

Also, photos and recordings are an imperfect representation of how you actually "are" because of things like the quality of the media or the skill of the person doing the recording. I'm sure that you have seen people who look nothing like their photos, or who sound different in the person than on the phone.

Maybe it's not an issue of absolutes, but of perception.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM

It's just strange because I've been hit on a lot by women at the bars and lounges and other places. My wife tells me its because I'm attractive but I can see what she means in the mirror, but in photos I cannot for the life of me. I remember being at the bar one time and was hit on hardcore by a woman before my wife and i scooted her away. I felt great the entire night by the compliment and other smaller ones but we took photos that night and I just couldn't see it. I think I look pretty average, especially in photos.

I guess it takes a professional to really bring out the best which explains candid shots of celebs.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM

59,630 posts, read 57,134,827 times
You look different in photos because you only ever see a mirror image of yourself. Everything is reversed. Everyone's face has unsymmetrical sides, some more pronounced than others.

I always wondered why I seemed to look so odd in photos and everyone else looked like themselves, then I read about how we only ever see ourselves in reverse, and it made sense. Sometimes a person would say, "Hey, that's a good photo of you", and I would think, "HUH? It doesn't even LOOK like me!"

A good photographer can use lighting and angle to make anyone look good. Another realization I had about seeing myself in photos is that I am taller than most of the population, so other people are taking pictures of me from below my face level. It sort of adds to the prominence of the neck and chin area. When people take a picture of me at my face level, it looks much better.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,173,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You look different in photos because you only ever see a mirror image of yourself. Everything is reversed. Everyone's face has unsymmetrical sides, some more pronounced than others.

I always wondered why I seemed to look so odd in photos and everyone else looked like themselves, then I read about how we only ever see ourselves in reverse, and it made sense. Sometimes a person would say, "Hey, that's a good photo of you", and I would think, "HUH? It doesn't even LOOK like me!"

A good photographer can use lighting and angle to make anyone look good. Another realization I had about seeing myself in photos is that I am taller than most of the population, so other people are taking pictures of me from below my face level. It sort of adds to the prominence of the neck and chin area. When people take a picture of me at my face level, it looks much better.
Oh, I always hated the angle thing. My airport badge photo makes me look like a thug because the camera was at chest level for me and it ended up taking the picture while basically looking up my nose. We're also not allowed to smile so I just look super angry.

I don't photograph well at all, the way my face is shaped it ends up casting weird shadows which just distort the way I look. It's a bummer.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

What do you mean by seeing yourself in reverse? So the photo is a more accurate image of what you really look like?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,651,757 times
I always find I look weird in videos and photos. Watching myself on a webcam is a weird experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty