Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

IM honestly beginning to think that hairdressers dont see the world as we do.... yes I am confused... when I dare go to one I sit in the chair all tense as if its the dentist waiting to see how my words like...... Just a trim, transfers into this hairdressers head and ideas..... the other day I went in just to have my hair tidied up at the back and sides....... the place was empty which should have had alarm bells going off in my head.... but no I sat politely telling the young girl, that I just wanted a trim .... next thing my entire head was soaked with a squirty bottle that had something smelly added... panic now set in as she sectioned off my head all over....... what flew threw my thoughts were..... empty salon.. if she does a trim it will cost less so she wants the cash..... so off she goes.. gabbing away to me... while I sat in horror at the first chop.... knew it was hopeless to say stop as Id have ended up with a higgliety pigglety do... so I sat in silence stomach churning as she snipped away..... then leaving me still wet she showed me the back in a hand mirror.... I looked decidely like David Shwimmer and said..... mmm ok Ill see how it goes when I wash it..... I paid her and did a runner all the way home... just in case I passed someone I knew.... who wouldnt know me as a man.... I flew into the bathroom and dooked my head under the tap...... gave it a rub with a towel and proceeded to blow dry what I had left which wasnt much...... I had explained that because ma hair is sort of curly and fine that it bounces up and goes shorter than when wet..... but hey ho who listens in the hairdressing industry... now I want to stay in for a month but have a forum get together to go to tonight... maybe I should cancel the dress and go grungy and spike my mess....or better still wear a hat.... any suggestions....and smack is what Id like to do to this so called girl with a hearing problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Not sure what it looks like or what it looked like before you went, but some short styles on some women are nice.

More than once I have had to go and have my hair re-cut because the first time around it was awful. May be what you need to do as well.

I used to have a lady that cut my hair for about 7 years and when she stopped cutting hair it was awful and even now I am looking for someone that knows how to cut hair.....that was years ago.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2013, 05:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
IM honestly beginning to think that hairdressers dont see the world as we do.... yes I am confused... when I dare go to one I sit in the chair all tense as if its the dentist waiting to see how my words like...... Just a trim, transfers into this hairdressers head and ideas..... the other day I went in just to have my hair tidied up at the back and sides....... the place was empty which should have had alarm bells going off in my head.... but no I sat politely telling the young girl, that I just wanted a trim .... next thing my entire head was soaked with a squirty bottle that had something smelly added... panic now set in as she sectioned off my head all over....... what flew threw my thoughts were..... empty salon.. if she does a trim it will cost less so she wants the cash..... so off she goes.. gabbing away to me... while I sat in horror at the first chop.... knew it was hopeless to say stop as Id have ended up with a higgliety pigglety do... so I sat in silence stomach churning as she snipped away..... then leaving me still wet she showed me the back in a hand mirror.... I looked decidely like David Shwimmer and said..... mmm ok Ill see how it goes when I wash it..... I paid her and did a runner all the way home... just in case I passed someone I knew.... who wouldnt know me as a man.... I flew into the bathroom and dooked my head under the tap...... gave it a rub with a towel and proceeded to blow dry what I had left which wasnt much...... I had explained that because ma hair is sort of curly and fine that it bounces up and goes shorter than when wet..... but hey ho who listens in the hairdressing industry... now I want to stay in for a month but have a forum get together to go to tonight... maybe I should cancel the dress and go grungy and spike my mess....or better still wear a hat.... any suggestions....and smack is what Id like to do to this so called girl with a hearing problem...
Sounds like you had quite an ordeal at the hairdresser's salon. Here in the states we do have our fair share of bad hairdressers but I have only run into one so far. I am now presently going to a guy who has cut hair for years both men and women. He is 59 years old, has a shaved head, tattoos all over his arms and neck, rides a Harley, has a gorgeous girlfriend and one would never not ever think he could be a woman's hairdresser. He cuts my hair fairly short but it is controllable and stylish.
The best bet for you in order to find a good hairdresser is to go by word of mouth and when you do find a new one, find a photo or pic from magazine that shows exactly how you want your hair cut. I find that telling them is not enough but a picture will surely give them the right idea.
Cheer up....it is only hair (yah sure) and it will GROW.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I found someone who is very good at cutting hair. The only problem is that when I leave her shop, I look like a 75yr old (I'm 77) I tell her what I want to do with it and she cuts it according to my description.

When I get home, (having hidden behind sunglasses and a hat), I immediately shower and wash my hair. I style it according to the way I described it to her, and would you believe? - it looks just the way I want it!

Prior to finding this woman, I had been through a half-dozen "stylists" who never seemed able to do more than one style, all of them deaf as a post.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
"Are Hairdressers Deaf"

No more so than any other profession....

Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 AM

7 posts, read 9,122 times
I really agree with you that hairdressers are deaf as many times I keep telling them or explaining them what I want but at the end the end result is what they want. And I hate such places. Some times they dont understand trimming also.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I don't think hairdressers who lack experience at cutting curly hair know how short it can get when dry. Its why I started cutting my own. I found the best results in hairdressers with curly hair themselves or a lot of experience. Naturally curly hair is a pain to cut. It is affected by weather, product, condition and length (weight) loss so much. I don't know your hair texture but when mine gets too springy I add weight with oil or styling cream. Headbands are a life saver too.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I loathe going to the hairdressers and now I have found one I like I stick with Her as she knows exactly what I want and listens to me. I would rather go to the dentists than the hairdressers.

The worst one for me was in France where Hubby wanted a haircut. We went to a (usually) very good and very expensive hairdressers I had used before and as Hubby's French is not up to discussing hairstyles I spent 10 minutes with the hairdressers explaining exactly what he wanted ( NO razors, keep the layers and NOT too short - basically a nice trim to make it neat but keeping exactly the same style - I don't like short-short hair on men).

I was incredibly descriptive and thorough. I went away to do some shopping and came back to my Husband looking as though he had just become a Footballer or joined the Army.

It was horrible. Really, really horrible. Hubby who is not usually very vain at all was really upset. They had used a razor, cut his hair within an inch of its life and it was virtually a buzzcut. I refused to pay and gave the hairdresser a piece of my mind. I should have sued just to teach that moron a lesson.

Apparently it was what is fashionable for men and what most men want ?!?! WTH ? Apparently the long explanations had not been taken in as anything except as a "guideline". The woman could not even understand why I was making such a fuss.... It took about three months before I could run my finger through Hubby's hair properly again and he was traumatised by the experience. He now goes to my Hairdressers as she knows what he and I want.

A couple of friends in the UK have had nasty surprises too, I think a lot of people find arguing with a hairdresser whilst they are cutting your hair too intimidating and just put up with crap basically. A friend of mine was basically bullied into having her hair cut fairly short and regretted it so badly.

Another one was talked into having coloured layers, another disaster. Hairdressers can be the spawn of Satan and should be kept under control as they are a law unto themselves.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I see IM not alone.... I said to the girl... look at my hair the way it lies to the side , as hair shouldnt be forced into a style , she nodded, then I said to leave the top front and temples as I liked the way it fell, and just the actual lower back and sides at my ears.... I now have a granny cut.. and even though I am one, I dont like looking like one... as someone said though hair grows...pity Im going out tonight though.... as I could hide in a house for a week or more..

Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I have shoulder length thick curly hair. gets frizzy in humidity, took me YEARS to find someone who knows how to work with hair like mine. I also know to book well in advance of when I need a trim.

For years I dealt with dopey hairdressers that thought the way to cut my type of hair was to use thinning /texturizing shears....can't tell you how many times I cried in the car on the way home..HORROR when those now short hairs grow....

I think very talented hairdressers are a rarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty