Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Again, if the face is hot enough, most men will not mind that a woman doesn't have a shapely figure, whether she is a little overweight or even flat.
When I first met my wife, in a bar in S.E. London, years ago, I noticed that she had a light sprinkling of freckles each side of her nose, and that when she smiled her eyes almost disappeared, so much so that one of my French relatives said when she first met her, “Est-elle un peu chinoise?” ( Is she a little Chinese?).
The next day, a friend said, “Billy M said that you successfully hit on a redhead last night in a bar, nice figure?”
I had to say, “Probably, I don’t remember, but she’s got a lovely face.”
A couple of months later, we were in Lisbon, Portugal, and she saw a skirt suit in a store window and said that she liked it, I looked in her jacket that night, and saw that she was a size 8.
Next morning, I told her that I was taking an exercise walk, and went to the store, and asked for the suit in a U.K. size 8, when I got it, the label said U.K. 8, U.S. 4.
Big bucket of Brownie Points for Jean-François.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 09:47 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yeah but the contexts and expectations of the genders are different . Women are still being raised to be the beautiful gender. When I stop seeing mothers raising their little girls celebrating their physical appeal, I'll change my view but it is still the norm. Fat or awful looking men always get women they want if they have the means or the personality, the opposite cannot be said.

Maybe some century men (and women) will stop prioritizing physical attributes so high in women but that day will probably never come. Until then women won't get a pass.
Wealthy awful-looking men maybe get the women they want, but the average Joe? No.

Too many men do themselves a major disservice telling themselves this story. Which is one reason why, as you say, many men seem enraged or defeated.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Wealthy awful-looking men maybe get the women they want, but the average Joe? No.

Too many men do themselves a major disservice telling themselves this story. Which is one reason why, as you say, many men seem enraged or defeated.
True, men can be awful looking and critique women on their appearance, and get away with it. There are plenty of couples where the man has let himself go, and the woman works hard on keeping her appearance.

Advertising and movies have set the guy up to get the best looking girl and in real life, many guys end up disappointed. In most cases, the average Joe can do well in the dating market, if he’s willing to accept average girls. Too many guys want the best looking girl around, but that doesn’t often happen. Not every woman looks like Khloe Kardashian, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t a good catch.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:

The only difference is that men often get a pass for their tubby bodies. Women don't get a pass for theirs.

It’s up to us not to settle tho....it’s 2021. The only reason men would get a pass is if we are willing to accept a “tubby” man when we are healthy & fit ourselves. It’s common sense...you decide who you are attracted to & who you will date. Lifestyle & fitness is an important part of it IMO.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:56 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
While not every woman can be Michelle Jenneke or Allison Stokke, every woman can get a better body than she currently has by exercising more and eating right. A woman is stuck with whatever face god/nature/evolution/whatever gave to her unless she resorts to surgery.
...and that's EXACTLY why the FACE is more important than the body to a lot of men. //Close thread.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:59 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Ironically the OP appears to have both (pretty face and nice body).
How do we know this?

Old 03-05-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
While not every woman can be Michelle Jenneke or Allison Stokke, every woman can get a better body than she currently has by exercising more and eating right. A woman is stuck with whatever face god/nature/evolution/whatever gave to her unless she resorts to surgery.

But most ppl aren’t attracted to somebody’s potential tho........they are attracted to somebody now or they aren’t. AND...if they are overweight, what is suddenly going to motivate them to lose it? Ofc it can happen...but....for most ppl, they are overweight for a reason...women & men.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It’s up to us not to settle tho....it’s 2021. The only reason men would get a pass is if we are willing to accept a “tubby” man when we are healthy & fit ourselves. It’s common sense...you decide who you are attracted to & who you will date. Lifestyle & fitness is an important part of it IMO.
Agreed.

But then it becomes even more difficult to find dateable men. Notice I said "dateable," not "marriageable." Many men have a lot of issues. Not suggesting women don't, but I don't date women.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
...and that's EXACTLY why the FACE is more important than the body to a lot of men. //Close thread.
My dad always said the same, but there quite a few men who'd disagree.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

But then it becomes even more difficult to find dateable men. Notice I said "dateable," not "marriageable." Many men have a lot of issues. Not suggesting women don't, but I don't date women.

IMO it was not that difficult to find dateable men. AND...when you’re dating, you don’t know if they are marriageable or not until you dated awhile & know them ofc. Men need realistic expectations if they are attracted to beauty AND fit body. Men that are fit & attractive themselves can be picky....but so can we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty